Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are my home charging options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No.

What is the electrical service size? What electrical loads are connected to the panel? Can any appliances be changed to nat gas/propane if necessary? Overhead or underground service?

We need much more info and research by you to get a realistic discussion started.

Uh, I think you were answering the question as if this were about simultaneous use. It didn't sound to me like that's what was being asked. I think this was about either at various times, but maybe I wasn't assuming right.
Is there an EV charging option at home that can accept a Tesla and a non-Tesla on the same 30-40amp circuit?
If you were thinking two cars at the same time, that's possible, but gets very expensive. For the easiest versatility of charging either Tesla or non-Tesla cars, I would say to just get a regular charging station with a J1772 handle. That is the common format that all electric cars use, and all Teslas come with a small snap-on adapter to use that, so it's still pretty convenient for them. Clipper Creek is a very good and well-made brand. Something like this would be a good option:

Yes, should have clarified. One EV at a time charging. I remember in the past seeing some configurations at hotels where they had the choice of a Tesla wall charger of a J1772. I thought that the J1772 charges a Tesla slower that the Tesla wall charger - and I wanted to maximize the 30 amp circuit.

Recently purchased a cottage that we will be renting out often. Is there an EV charging option at home that can accept a Tesla and a non-Tesla on the same 30-40amp circuit?
I say yes. You can tell the car to charge, let's say, at 24 amps, if you want, or any other number. Nothing says it has to charge at 40, 50, or 80 amps. I would expect that the "non Tesla" should also be adjustable. My wife's 3 charges at 24 amps because I tell it to. Likewise, if we are both charging at the same time, I dial them both to charge at 20 amps, this on a 50 amp circuit.

Alternatively, let them charge at 40 amps but tell one to charge before 3 AM, and have the second start then. Not sure the 3 will do that now, though.

Yes, should have clarified. One EV at a time charging. I remember in the past seeing some configurations at hotels where they had the choice of a Tesla wall charger of a J1772. I thought that the J1772 charges a Tesla slower that the Tesla wall charger - and I wanted to maximize the 30 amp circuit.
I would go with a single clipper creek.

It would support all non-Tesla cars &Tesla drivers have their j1772 adapter.

speed would be the same for a Tesla driver either way.

Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd
For the easiest versatility of charging either Tesla or non-Tesla cars, I would say to just get a regular charging station with a J1772 handle. That is the common format that all electric cars use, and all Teslas come with a small snap-on adapter to use that, so it's still pretty convenient for them. Clipper Creek is a very good and well-made brand. Something like this would be a good option:
Great advice here. I have the AmazingE Clipper Creek unit linked in this post, we use it for our Pacifica Hybrid and occasionally my Tesla. Works great, economical, great company.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I thought that the J1772 charges a Tesla slower that the Tesla wall charger - and I wanted to maximize the 30 amp circuit.
There is never any faster or slower with any of these on regular home charging equipment, because this equipment doesn't control any charging speed. It does some communication and safety checks and then closes a switch and is literally just connecting the wires in your wall to the wires in your car. There can't be any charging speed difference from that.

They are both "announcing" to the car that there is 24A available because it's a 30A circuit, so that is identical. The car draws that 24A from the AC circuit and then uses its onboard charger to control charging the battery.

• Love
Reactions: brkaus
Does Tesla know what amperage circuit you have the car plug into?.::so you don’t have to manually set the amp on the. Barging screen
Yes. Any charging equipment, including the Tesla Wall Connector, is configured or selected for purchase based on the circuit amperage. The Tesla Mobile Connector uses adapters that signal the amperage available on that particular kind of plug. This is how the electrical safety is ensured.

On a Tesla vehicle, you can manually turn down the amps for charging, but you cannot turn it up to exceed the allowed circuit amperage if the charging equipment is properly installed. Most other EVs don't have this level of charging control.

Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd
If if you can put a normal 14.50 recepticle where a car can get close? It's easy. But. Then u need a double breaker slot empty in your breaker box. Put a 220v , 50 amp breaker in that slot. U got it done. I had to drill hole in the side of my house. Park next to house. Most cars should have a 20 foot cable? I think I spent about $100 at HD.