Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the best electricity providers in NSW for solar and powerwall setups and who would you recommend?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Nobody Famous, Energy Made Easy was my first stop and funnily enough it recommended staying with ReAmped.

Only real data I have is based on my current electricity bill, which I don't expect to change in the future - daily average is around 25KW anytime and 10KW CL1.

Anyone have any experience with Powershop, Amber or Mojo?

Looks like I may need to do the phone around and compare using a spreadsheet.

Powershop, Amber and Reamped seem moat popular of the small independents.

But note Powershop has recently been sold to Shell

AGL seem to offer best FiT if you have an excess, but may not be as good if you have an EV and battery

Powershop has the best EV offer. The government website doesn’t even come close to finding the best deal.

At the moment in NSW of you have an EV then Powershop can put you on their EV tariff set up.

It is TOU so 1400-2000 is expensive. 36.8c/KWh.

If you set the battery up for maximum cost saving then the battery is quite good at making sure you rarely draw from the grid. I have 1 Powerwall 2 and 5.8kW of panels facing just north of west.

My house of 2 adults and 3 late adolescents with aircon etc draws about 2-3% of the 10MWh it takes to run out place a year. The panels make just under 9MWh. We end up consuming about 2/3 of what we produce directly and the rest goes to the grid. The FIT is 5c. Daily charge is 119c.

What makes it attractive is the 0000-0400 tariff which is 6.58c/KWh. That power is not restricted to charging the car.

So I charge the car and shift everything else I possibly can into the 0000-0400 period - dishwashing, dryer, washing machine etc etc.

The battery is smart enough to charge itself at this time as well if it thinks solar production is not going to be enough to ensure a full battery for the peak period.

The battery will also charge itself in the cheaper shoulder period if that particular morning’s solar production is not going to be enough.

You do end up exporting a bit more than otherwise with this strategy, but it is a lot cheaper. The power you buy is carbon neutral by default. Others will point out that this is managed by carbon offset purchases by Powershop rather than Powershop providing all of the power from carbon free sources. This situation applies to every single provider currently in the Australian market.

Powershop got sold to Shell and Powershop’s generating assets were sold to a Shell joint venture with another investment group. What that means for the expansion of carbon free power in Australia remains to be seen. I note that Shell is buying other carbon free generating assets and investing in new carbon free generators elsewhere on the globe.

Now I have no idea of the actual Shell strategy and don’t believe a word of what they say. I can only respond to what they do. So I’ll be out of there the instant that I can get a better offer.

Of the about 180,000 Powershop customers somewhere around 3000 left immediately and went to the providers you have already mentioned. For at least one of them this has meant a tripling or more of their customer base. This explains why I have had terrible trouble getting any response let alone a sensible response from some of my queries.

The power management I run is not the most highly optimised, but is the best available out of the box without me changing my car charger and writing the code for it, and the BMS myself.

Unfortunately I don’t have that skill set or the time to do it. I must say the idea of getting in and doing it really appeals to me, but sadly not at the moment.

The Powershop details are here EV electricity plan - super off-peak EV tariff is here! | Powershop

The prices on that page are slightly out of date. The numbers above come from my latest bill.

Sadly your individual circumstances will impact you choice a *lot*.

The daily charge is a meaningful part of the calculation. 119c/day is high.

To get right into the weeds you can get data dumps from your Tesla app and set up some spreadsheets to run your actual numbers.

Thanks Nobody Famous, Energy Made Easy was my first stop and funnily enough it recommended staying with ReAmped.

Only real data I have is based on my current electricity bill, which I don't expect to change in the future - daily average is around 25KW anytime and 10KW CL1.

Anyone have any experience with Powershop, Amber or Mojo?

Looks like I may need to do the phone around and compare using a spreadsheet.
With energy made easy I find it works better if you select the box for unknown current provider.
There is no way you can compare options based on headline prices. You have to do a full year spreadsheet. All of the websites Have current detailed rates which must reflect what is on energy made easy

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Absolutely. One if he failures of the current system is that we are still at the mercy o local transmission monopolies.
What do you propose instead, an overbuild of competing distribution networks (note, it's distribution not transmission that is under discussion here)?

The DNSPs are local monopolies, but the prices they charge are heavily regulated.

Thank you all for some great information - looks like I will need to collect some more data to make an informed decision ;)

Hairyman, if I read correctly and doing some youtube research last-night, the Powerwall 2 seems to act like a solar sink controlled by the Tesla Gateway e.g.
- Excess solar is stored in the battery and then your house draws on battery power first before drawing from the grid
- The gateway regulates solar consumption and grid consumption

Is that correct? If so, the system seems a bit more smarter that what I expected.

What do you propose instead, an overbuild of competing distribution networks (note, it's distribution not transmission that is under discussion here)?

The DNSPs are local monopolies, but the prices they charge are heavily regulated.
And very profitable that regulated pricing is, which is why a canadian pension fund just aquired spark infrasture (ski.asx) which owns powercore and sapn. Now I no longer get the very nice dividends ☹️

No. The transmission infrastructure is a natural monopoly and not most efficiently dealt with by a open market.

It would be best dealt with as a single government monopoly who can set minimum performance requirements and send out competitive tenders for construction and maintenance.

It allows you to amortise the costs and savings across the whole network and people in remote locations do not pay further isolation penalties.

It still allows the development of private generating assets and retailers.

All options have problems as well as advantages. The present arrangement has the facade of an open market with very few of the advantages for the very issue you point out - the staggering inefficiency of overbuilding connections and competing by actual connection.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Thank you all for some great information - looks like I will need to collect some more data to make an informed decision ;)

Hairyman, if I read correctly and doing some youtube research last-night, the Powerwall 2 seems to act like a solar sink controlled by the Tesla Gateway e.g.
- Excess solar is stored in the battery and then your house draws on battery power first before drawing from the grid
- The gateway regulates solar consumption and grid consumption

Is that correct? If so, the system seems a bit more smarter that what I expected.
Correct

Reactions: paulp