Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the prospects for a battery upgrade for the P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My recollection is that @verygreen indicated that the connectors on the 100KWH battery pack are different than all the previous battery packs (not sure if it was the electrical connectors of the cooling fluid connectors. He may chime in on this, but if that is the case, then upgrading to a 100KWH battery pack (or larger) likely requires hardware modifications to the car as well. It is certainly possible (as he did it to his car) but it is not as simple as a battery pack swap out and software update like in the pre-100D cars...

whether it may be different or not, im sure an adapter can be made, i think the most important piece here is that P85D's are held back by the battery limitation so im sure it can push more performance than what its currently at.

This forum has reports of warranty replacement batteries getting 90s for their P85D, and reports of P90D getting a 100 battery. So I imagine that a 100 battery is possible.

One possibility is that if Model S and Model X sales aren’t sufficient to use all the older 18650 style battery packs produced then they might sell new 18650 packs to people who want to upgrade. But since the battery supply is capped at ~100k/year if they have demand for that many cars, they need to use the 18650 batteries for the cars and not upgrades.

So half of me loves our P85D and want to own it for ever (especially now that the car has already gone through the biggest hit in depreciation), the other part of me wants to get a P100D or equivalent as soon as the interior update comes out, and then there is another part of me wanting to keep our current P85D but upgrade the battery.

Does anyone have any thoughts about when we might see a battery upgrade for the P85D? I'd love to upgrade to a P100D or P130D or whatever will be the largest battery pack especially if that comes with a Ludicrous Power upgrade.

Would we ever see such an option and any guess as to how much it would be?
Why spend a fortune to add 15KWH? Makes little difference to range and ludicrous is no more than an expensive showpiece. Enjoy your P85/D and what if offers you that ANY ice car can.

Well, for starters a 100kwh pack has more than 20kwh more capacity than an "85"kwh pack that never had 85kwh to start with. At the time you were buying your 85kwh car new, you chose to spend $20,000 more for an additional 20kwh capacity over the 60kwh car so we already know you like the additional 65 miles of range and perhaps you're ready to do it again for 130 additional miles of range over the S60 you never bought because you chose to go with more once already.

The 85 -> 100 upgrade is nearly identical (if not slightly more added!) to a 60 -> 85 upgrade in capacity, and all of us 85 owners chose the 85 upgrade despite the fact that we spent a fortune adding that additional 20 kwh. Sure it made little difference in range and performance no more than an expensive showpiece, but we spent that money anyway.

Reactions: croman
Well I think the most interesting is if we can get a new battery in say 5 years that is build with a different technology. As I understand they are able to increase the current 100 kwh batt with around 25%, not more. The technology is limited.

But let's say Solid state batteries in 5 years deliver what we are hoping for, would we be able to get that kind of battery into our Model S. That I am looking forward to.

One question from my side. What happens today if a 85 kwh battery dies? do you get a 90 or 100?

The fact that they don't manufacture 85 packs and the fact that they still have inventory of 85 packs are mutually exclusive. Call Tesla and ask them when your replacement pack was manufactured.

Oh, and there IS NO upgraded battery replacement for a P85D.

This forum has reports of warranty replacement batteries getting 90s for their P85D, and reports of P90D getting a 100 battery. So I imagine that a 100 battery is possible.

One possibility is that if Model S and Model X sales aren’t sufficient to use all the older 18650 style battery packs produced then they might sell new 18650 packs to people who want to upgrade. But since the battery supply is capped at ~100k/year if they have demand for that many cars, they need to use the 18650 batteries for the cars and not upgrades.

any idea/posts what it would cost Tesla to change a 2015 S70 to anything higher? will seats have to be changed too?

I received a due bill email from a delivery manager confirming that EAP will be added as firmware update, before I p/u . I'm pretty sure adding EAP would be cost prohibitive/impossible compared to a battery or maybe adding AWD?

Either that or maybe move my deposit to a LEMR M3 around that price point.

Last edited: