Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the required setting for putting a Model S LR into a car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Putting aside that it’s not recommended to use a car wash with a Tesla, i read on another post that there is no car wash mode on the Model S LR. So what are the appropriate settings to use when putting your car into a car wash? Do you have to manually put it in neutral and hold it? Leave the key card inside? What is the right setup? Thanks

I will only allow the exterior to be cleaned through the best car wash in my area that has cleaned my BMWs, Jags, Mercedes, and Audi without issue, except for an M5 issue once with the huge tires and wheels. The folks don't know to not clean the screens, and it is just too difficult to explain driving the car into and out of the car wash. Turn off the wipers, make sure windows are up, tilt the mirrors in. If you sit in the car, just put it in neutral when the car is engaged on the trolley. I find it hard to shift into neutral. My car seems to either want to be in R or D, and it takes a very delicate touch to put the car into neutral. If it wasn't for the screens, I would let them clean the inside. It just seems the swarm of humanity all over the car all at once both in and out of the car is more than I can handle, so the exterior is what I get done.

Reactions: IamGaryGnu
It's simple as long as you follow these steps: DO NOT REMOVE YOUR SEATBELT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

As long as you do that you can leave it in Drive. No need for neutral. Just don't give it the extra pressure on the brake that will engage hill hold mode as you come to a stop and you're good. I then manually fold my mirrors (the option to auto fold never really performs as expected for me) and that's that.

Reactions: McQ14
It's simple as long as you follow these steps: DO NOT REMOVE YOUR SEATBELT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

As long as you do that you can leave it in Drive. No need for neutral. Just don't give it the extra pressure on the brake that will engage hill hold mode as you come to a stop and you're good. I then manually fold my mirrors (the option to auto fold never really performs as expected for me) and that's that.
My carwash specifies you must put the car in neutral. Also, if you have Hold enabled, your car will be fighting with the car wash the whole way. Best to use Neutral to avoid any issues. Good point about the seatbelt.

Reactions: Ciaopec
My carwash specifies you must put the car in neutral. Also, if you have Hold enabled, your car will be fighting with the car wash the whole way. Best to use Neutral to avoid any issues. Good point about the seatbelt.
That's required for automatic and manual transmission cars. Do you let the car wash attendant get in your car to verify you're in "N" before you proceed? Would they even know what they were looking at if they got in? This is a great example where you know more than they do so just leave it in D and call it a day.

Our cars don't have a transmission and Drive is exactly the same for this purpose. I've found that putting my foot on the brake to put the car back in D once it's done can actually cause more drama then just leaving it in D and letting it roll.

The picture you paint is exactly what I specifically advised to NOT engage hill hold mode. This isn't a problem in the least though as long as you know on the front end to not push all the way down on the brake.

However, if you ignore my uppercase statement above you're going to have a bad time regardless of if you're in D or N. People WAY overthink this whole carwash topic on this forum. We have unlimited car washes and run our cars through the various locations this company has all over the state on an almost daily basis. Using the method I laid out I've never once had an issue.

The only issues I had were the first couple of times when I took my seat belt off. Just don't do that and you'll be fine.

Reactions: bhzmark
That's required for automatic and manual transmission cars. Do you let the car wash attendant get in your car to verify you're in "N" before you proceed? Would they even know what they were looking at if they got in? This is a great example where you know more than they do so just leave it in D and call it a day.

Our cars don't have a transmission and Drive is exactly the same for this purpose. I've found that putting my foot on the brake to put the car back in D once it's done can actually cause more drama then just leaving it in D and letting it roll.

The picture you paint is exactly what I specifically advised to NOT engage hill hold mode. This isn't a problem in the least though as long as you know on the front end to not push all the way down on the brake.

However, if you ignore my uppercase statement above you're going to have a bad time regardless of if you're in D or N. People WAY overthink this whole carwash topic on this forum. We have unlimited car washes and run our cars through the various locations this company has all over the state on an almost daily basis. Using the method I laid out I've never once had an issue.

The only issues I had were the first couple of times when I took my seat belt off. Just don't do that and you'll be fine.
I just tested my car, and Hold mode is engaged just by my car coming to a stop using the regen. I never have to touch the brake for hold mode to be engaged. What you are describing is like having the car towed through the car wash in Drive, and (in my car at least) with hold mode engaged. I don't think that is a good idea. Just put it in Neutral.

I just tested my car, and Hold mode is engaged just by my car coming to a stop using the regen. I never have to touch the brake for hold mode to be engaged. What you are describing is like having the car towed through the car wash in Drive, and (in my car at least) with hold mode engaged. I don't think that is a good idea. Just put it in Neutral.
Did you have your seatbelt on? What year is your car?

What about car washes where you don't sit in the car? Where it's pulled through with no driver? Then there is no seatbelt engaged?

What about car washes where you don't sit in the car? Where it's pulled through with no driver? Then there is no seatbelt engaged?
I think you would need to put it in tow mode. You will have issues with the people being able to get it into and out of the wash, as the car is pretty unusual. Plus, leave the key inside the car.

Last edited:
Drive in as attendant motions you in. I coast a bit as I put it in neutral and then car comes to stop right about where they say "neutral". That way I don't fumble with a hard up and put it into reverse. Please don't leave it in drive and try the hold maneuver. I mean I guess you could, but if it didn't work. I have a feeling the car wash person would not be too happy. Maybe your car wouldn't be happy either.

I've been using car washes for three years, with a Model 3 and my Model S. First, I never heard anything official that says you shouldn't put a Tesla through a car wash. It's just a car. A really nice car, but it can go through a car wash.

Putting it in Neutral is fine. My two main car wash places have a tread-way that the car's left wheels ride on, while the right side wheels roll freely. Neutral is a must for this. I've tried leaving it in Drive and it bucks when you do this.

So my normal routine as I roll into the wash is this:
- turn auto wipers off
- fold side mirrors
- put the car in Neutral and let it ride through

Easy.

My car is set to automatically raise the suspension to high and fold the mirrors in when the GPS arrives at the car wash entrance. My wipers are always off because the auto setting sucks. So all I have to do when entering the wash is hold the Neutral button for 3 seconds and it’s good to go. When it is time to exit, gently press the brake just to allow the swipe up to Drive and you’re out. If I left it in Drive the whole time, Brake Hold activates and that screws the whole conveyor belt system all up.

Reactions: jimster and McQ14
To run your Tesla through an automated carwash you first need to put it in neutral. Teslas will automatically defer back to park if no one’s in the vehicle after about twenty seconds, so this only works if you’re going through an automated car wash where you’re allowed to stay inside the car. The second thing you have to do is turn the automatic wipers off, as they could potentially be damaged in the process.
Unfortunately, the wash I use, nobody rides through with the car. So when I went last week, the attendant did go through with the car (and I think it was fine on (H) but is there a setting that lets it go through with NOBODY in the car? Is that where you might use Tow Mode?

What does your seat belt have to do with anything?