Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your charging habits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla recommends to keep plugged in whenever possible. ABC...always be charging.
No, being plugged in when possible and “always be charging” are two different things. The latter expresssion comes from the short range crappy EVs that had to always be charging in order to get back home across town. A plugged in Tesla might not charge for days, as after it reaches the desired SOC it won’t always be charging while it has a 1%/ day vampire drain, it waits until the SOC drops by 3% and then charges back to the set point.

Typically charge to 90%, drive until 80-100 miles remaining (usually every 3-4 days), repeat.

This has been my typical weekly pattern as well. Occasionally lower SOC depending on trips. Only once so far getting down to 20% and seeing the amber "alert" color. I find the LR version well suited to my normal driving. I charge at home, 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet using our corded 14-50 UMC unit that we bought when we got our MS in 2017. Usually we have the Model 3 set at 32-36A so get around 29mph generally. Don't see the need to go higher/faster for a charge. Only once so far have I charged at a SC--driving home from the delivery center--and just wanted to make sure it could charge fine and to see how the billing would appear.

Last edited:
No, being plugged in when possible and “always be charging” are two different things. The latter expresssion comes from the short range crappy EVs that had to always be charging in order to get back home across town. A plugged in Tesla might not charge for days, as after it reaches the desired SOC it won’t always be charging while it has a 1%/ day vampire drain, it waits until the SOC drops by 3% and then charges back to the set point.

Yes, you’re correct. But Tesla does recommend to keep plugged in whenever possible for battery management and conditioning. Set charge limit to 90% or less. The car will stop charging when full.

Reactions: TexasEV
If I pre-heat the vehicle while plugged in, when vehicle has already completed charging overnight, and I've set it to only charge during off peak hours, does that use battery power or plug power? My preliminary experiments seem to indicate plug power (ie no loss in battery % even when pre-heating from 10F for 45 min), but am curious if others can confirm.

If I pre-heat the vehicle while plugged in, when vehicle has already completed charging overnight, and I've set it to only charge during off peak hours, does that use battery power or plug power? My preliminary experiments seem to indicate plug power (ie no loss in battery % even when pre-heating from 10F for 45 min), but am curious if others can confirm.
The HVAC system is connected only to the battery, so power comes through the battery. However the charging system is programmed to keep the battery at the set level when HVAC is on, so ultimately the plug supplies the power.

Update on this: I preheated this AM for an HOUR, in 5 degree weather. Battery was at 79% when I started (full overnight charge) and 79% when I left. So preheating clearly does not effect range when the car is plugged in, even when you've got it set to only charge during off peak hours.

When around town, I charge to 80%, plugging in maybe every other day on average. Once a week to once every other week I have to take a long drive for work, where I charge up to 100% before leaving, and use a Supercharger to charge back up to about 90% at the destination before the return home trip. When back at home, it's set back to 80% again.

I generally don't bother with setting it on range mode for the trips, and I leave it as always connected. Could a squeeze a little more out of it by changing that behavior? Maybe, but I guess I'm lazy.

80% charge gets me about 225 miles. Used to be closer to 240 I think a couple of years ago. I guess that's close to expectations.

Summer trips I get maybe 330 wh / mile, in winter it's usually close to 410. I used to drive more conservatively to get better efficiency, but these days I just cruise along with traffic at about 74 MPH.

Reactions: Hawnboy
I've had my car 3 for 5 months. 5600 miles. I run the battery to +/- 50 mi., hit a supercharger to get it to 200, drive 12 miles to home and top it off to 275 (80%). Usually I drive 4-5 days before having to do it over again. I haven't seen any degradation in the battery doing it this way. I was told by the delivery person that this was the best way. Now I am concerned after reading all of the above.

I usually drive ~30 miles\day and plug in to recharge to 80% nightly (or as often as I remember). Not sure if the battery would benefit from being drained a bit more between charging, but I figure the BMS is good enough at keeping everything fairly healthy.

Surviving on a 120v outlet (5 miles per hour)

Plug in every night. Charge limit set to 90%. Daily commute is 20 miles around trip + gym = 50 miles daily.

This is rough, you need 10 hours of charging every night to recoup basic commute to work and back? so on weekends you catch up or drive less?

At first i charged every other day. Now when it gets to 80 miles. I have not seen any scientific information that says short charges vs long charges. I have mine set to 70% Before i had it set to charge nightly, but now i often charge as soon as i get home, i dont have Time of Use, so it does not matter.