Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What colour to get for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

I'm a potential Tesla owner and have spent a lot of time doing research and I believe I am ready to purchase a Tesla Model 3. I'll be getting a Standard Range Plus with RWD.

Originally I was thinking about getting it in Black. However, I'm reading a lot of people stating that Black tends to get dirty really fast and it'll show "chips and scratches more". Since I've never owned a black car, is this accurate for the new "Solid Black" colour? I know in the past black was the free colour, but now it's $1000 extra. I was thinking maybe it's cuz they have improved it?

I'd love your help in deciding what's the best colour in terms of lower maintenance and what doesn't show chips and bugs. I will probably drive a lot, and I tend to not always wash my cars as often as I should.

Really? Color?

It's obvious, one color is the best, because that's the only color that you see people buy.

Or maybe it's a completely personal preference. Down here, my way, dark cars are shunned upon because they heat up and get hotter. But up north, they can be advantageous, because they DO heat up and stay warmer.

I have a black Model 3. All of my previous cars had been silver.

Silver definitely was better at hiding dirt and scratches. But the black is beautiful. I might regret the decision in 5 years when the car is beat up, but for now I'm loving the black.

my first car was black and I swore never to own a black car again as it shows all dirt, swirls, scratches and dents, and was way too much maintenance if you like to keep your car clean. I've always owned silver cars since.
It's very unfortunate that Tesla has discontinued silver for all their models as it really highlights the lines of their cars very well and always looks sleek, modern and timeless. I'm either considering purchasing pre-owned silver Model S or Model 3 Performance.
I personally think the Model 3 looks the best in lighter or brighter colours, like white, silver or red.

There were rumours that silver could be special ordered, but I haven't heard of anyone doing this, and don't know how much this cost and how long it will take for production.

Reactions: S'toon
Just my opinion but Black looks the best of all colors - provided you never take it out of a dust free garage after you clean it.

Lighter colors do hide normal wear, dirt, and defects better and are more appropriate for hotter regions.

Darker colors will retain heat more and may hep in colder areas especially with snow.

Really? Color?

It's obvious, one color is the best, because that's the only color that you see people buy.

Or maybe it's a completely personal preference. Down here, my way, dark cars are shunned upon because they heat up and get hotter. But up north, they can be advantageous, because they DO heat up and stay warmer.
As per my wife, I'm an over thinker. If it was up to her, the car would already be on my driveway.

I didn't even think about the darker colour helping with the heating in the cold Canadian winters.. Tesla rep recommends getting a white one, I'm debating between Grey & Black. I don't want White because it's the base model and I feel like in the future tons more users will have a white one and I would like to be a bit different.

I've read your post several times and I feel that Black is the color that you should choose. As with any previous black car owner will say, they will never purchase another black car and probably true of the challenges with black car ownership. Years ago, it was different. I remember when people would wax cars, and owners would always use a scratch removal polish. You would always see swirls more so in a black finish. Now things have changed. You can always invest in a paint protection film to be installed and or do a ceramic coating. One or both will protect the black finish to stay shiny and help avoid those scratches along with making it much easier to keep clean.

Hey Everyone,

I'm a potential Tesla owner and have spent a lot of time doing research and I believe I am ready to purchase a Tesla Model 3. I'll be getting a Standard Range Plus with RWD.

Originally I was thinking about getting it in Black. However, I'm reading a lot of people stating that Black tends to get dirty really fast and it'll show "chips and scratches more". Since I've never owned a black car, is this accurate for the new "Solid Black" colour? I know in the past black was the free colour, but now it's $1000 extra. I was thinking maybe it's cuz they have improved it?

I'd love your help in deciding what's the best colour in terms of lower maintenance and what doesn't show chips and bugs. I will probably drive a lot, and I tend to not always wash my cars as often as I should.
Regardless of car manufacturers or car model, black cars cannot hide dust. It’s often said that after washing your car it shows signs of dust right away therefore if you want the color that doesn’t short dirt, go with dark silver. Dirt totally blends in. No only that but black also shows dreaded swirls. You have to take care of the paint specifically to avoid swirling and spiders web marks.

Really? Color?

I totally understand the basic logic for regular cars. But I don’t really get it for cars like the Model 3, where vast areas that contribute to interior temperature are not color specific. Does the hood and the bit of paint on the doors and the trunk really make a difference vs. the vast areas of glass?

Thanks for all your feedback. Its pretty much white or grey for me now, I don't think I want to risk it with getting black and taking extra care of it. Currently my car is a similar grey colour and it looks amazing but from Tesla Model 3 pictures of grey cars it feels like they don't stand out as much as white car so I would say white does have a slight lead.

I am hoping to place the order today, apparently they have some in stock so I dunnoe if I should go with that or place the order online and wait.

I am loving this forum. I remember when I bought my first ever car and had found a similar forum and it's great to have such a community. People seem overall much nicer here. Probably cuz they aren't exhausted from all that autopilot driving they don't have to do

• Funny
Reactions: xasroma and seanr
Thanks for all your feedback. Its pretty much white or grey for me now, I don't think I want to risk it with getting black and taking extra care of it. Currently my car is a similar grey colour and it looks amazing but from Tesla Model 3 pictures of grey cars it feels like they don't stand out as much as white car so I would say white does have a slight lead.

I am hoping to place the order today, apparently they have some in stock so I dunnoe if I should go with that or place the order online and wait.

I am loving this forum. I remember when I bought my first ever car and had found a similar forum and it's great to have such a community. People seem overall much nicer here. Probably cuz they aren't exhausted from all that autopilot driving they don't have to do

ANY black car is going to require a bunch of extra care to look good. Thats not unique to tesla. Color is also relative so not sure how someone can tell you what color you like the best. Its somewhat a silly question, because color is subjective and personal.

So, ignoring the "which color is the best" part of this, and focusing on the other part which is "are black cars harder to take care of?" the answer to that is yes, and pretty much everyone would tell you the same thing. Many also believe that black cars look the best when clean, and are willing to put in the work to do so. If thats not you, and you care if your care looks dirty (some dont), then dont get a black car from any car manufacturer, or anything close to black.

Perhaps check out this thread. Many HD photos in all different lighting scenarios. This was my MSM shot via drone.

Pic of your Model 3.......RIGHT NOW!