Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do I need to pay attention during delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take your time even if they try and rush you. I picked up my inventory car on Saturday and I made them note all the rock chips and "wear and tear" because I am leasing for now. Check the wheels for curb rash, check interior panels for scratches. Look at the paint. Tesla has very soft paint so it swirls very easily. I had a number of items documented. Check the sunroof, I need to check mine again as one time the operation wasn't smooth. Check the screens to make sure no dead pixels or discoloration or anything; I actually don't know if anyone has had any problems with them. Paint, paint, paint as this is really an item that you would be fighting with them on if you notice later. Bring a microfiber even if you see something on the car, could be dust, just to wipe lightly and check. Also, check your paperwork!

To be honest I added the one Google Drive Delivery Checklist to my Google Drive and completely forgot to check it due to excitement.

You will likely miss something, in my case it was a broken HVAC vent, the slider doesn't move the vent.

Enjoy!

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
1) Look at the paint both in direct sunlight as well as in the shade or inside. My front bumper had very splotchy paint when delivered but I missed it because I didn't go over the car well enough once it was outside in the sunlight. It's now at the service center getting fixed.

2) Open all doors, trunks, etc and look for paint issues that would not normally be seen if the door/trunk was closed.

3) Check all the windows and the sunroof to make sure they maneuver properly.

4) Make sure the glove compartment opens and closes properly (try it a few times). The button on mine broke the first time I used it and trapped my wallet The folks here on TMC helped me free the wallet but the car had to go in for service to get the glove compartment fixed.

5) If you've ordered the premium package, make sure your "Quick connection phone dock" kit is in the car. Mine was in the lower compartment of the trunk.

6) If you have a lengthy drive home from the Tesla store and think you might need washer fluid for bugs, make sure there's some in the car. I had a three hour drive home from picking up my Tesla and encountered a swarm of bugs around dusk. I instinctively used the window washer and all it did was smear the bugs because there was no fluid or any kind. Water would have been better than nothing.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! I will definitely pay attention on those!

~
On this point, I would thoroughly read the user manual sections on the Auto Pilot and other driver assistance features (parking indicators, Summon, etc.) This is probably not practical to do while you are taking delivery. And you may even be able to do it before you take delivery -- check your "MyTesla"page -- the manual will be there, as well as in the car on the Controls/Settings app.

And actually, i recommend reading the whole manual anyway. At least familiarize yourself with it so you know where it is and what it covers, so you will be more likely to look there for answers to questions you will undoubtedly have. It is actually a pretty good manual, as these things go.

And by the way, in case of a software update, the latest manual will always be in the car. The one on the MyTesla page won't necessarily be current. (Mine was updated a month or so after I got the car, for version 7.0, I think. After that, the only update to the MyTesla page until this week was the version 7.1 release notes. oddly enough, there is a new manual on the MyTesla page as of yesterday! But in general, I rely on the car if I want to be sure of something.)
Thank you! I'll read the manual tonight!

Assuming you've test driven one, but if not...I ordered my first one in 2013 without being able to even sit in one, much less drive one. I checked everything at delivery, they did a thorough walkthrough of the features, and I finally took off in my shiny new car. I got to work, parked, and spent a couple of funny moments trying to figure out how to open the door from the inside!
hahaha luckily I have done the test drive. I have actually sat in a few of them every time I passed the show room lol

Yeah... my delivery experience was less than stellar. The service people over in Atlanta have been pretty good but I have to be honest and say that the sales and delivery people are horrible. I've previously owned nothing but BMWs and I hate to say it but BMW has Tesla beat hands down when it comes to the sales and delivery experience. The guy who handled my delivery needed to pull up his d@mn pants, the car wasn't charged to 100% like I had asked (I was on a tight schedule) and the lack of any kind of washer fluid had me stopping at a gas station on my first EV trip to clean bugs off. The kicker was that apparently they thought it was okay to deliver my car with the bumper looking like this:

View attachment 199109 View attachment 199110

At first I thought it was just something on the bumper that would wipe off but after having the car detailed (oh yeah, the car was dirty when I picked it up) I realized it was areas of thin paint. You could see a whitish-grey undercoat showing through.

So yeah, go over the car pretty close at delivery. Odds are you won't find anything that can't be fixed but it's better to go ahead and point out the issues before you sign.

I'm very surprised that everyone mentioned about paint!

Take your time even if they try and rush you. I picked up my inventory car on Saturday and I made them note all the rock chips and "wear and tear" because I am leasing for now. Check the wheels for curb rash, check interior panels for scratches. Look at the paint. Tesla has very soft paint so it swirls very easily. I had a number of items documented. Check the sunroof, I need to check mine again as one time the operation wasn't smooth. Check the screens to make sure no dead pixels or discoloration or anything; I actually don't know if anyone has had any problems with them. Paint, paint, paint as this is really an item that you would be fighting with them on if you notice later. Bring a microfiber even if you see something on the car, could be dust, just to wipe lightly and check. Also, check your paperwork!

To be honest I added the one Google Drive Delivery Checklist to my Google Drive and completely forgot to check it due to excitement.

You will likely miss something, in my case it was a broken HVAC vent, the slider doesn't move the vent.

Enjoy!
Everyone is telling me about the paint! I'm a little scared now...

When we picked up the inventory P90 last month, we pulled up in the mini van (trade in), I went into the SC to sign the papers while Mary unloaded the boys and their car seats. By the time I came out, she had the kids installed into the MS and we were almost ready to go. I pointed out one minor paint defect on the rear passenger door, it was annotated on the due bill and we were headed home. I found a few items to be checked/fixed during the next few weeks and my local SC is taking care of them now. I think most cars are delivered without any issues, and if there are issues (and you live close to your SC) having them taken care of later is not much an issue. You will love the car! enjoy and don't worry.