Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you dislike most about your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- I which they make a hatchback, in particular for the European market.

- I noticed that there is no liner inside the trunk and you can see the bare metal and screws.
For that kind of price range, I don't think this would have been to costly to extend the liner all the way to the top.
If I was going to get this car, this is certainly the first thing that I will cover.

- The middle back seat is not very comfortable, I was sitting too high compare to the right and left seat,
and the head rest is too low and too far way from my neck.

I'm surprised to hear so many issues with the phone as a key. My VIN in in the 33k and it's working great for me.

I actually really like not having to carry around something all day just because I need to access my car. It's nice only having my wallet and phone in my pockets.
The "problems with phone key" thread is littered with people who say they haven't had any problems with it, who then return later to say it's started being unreliable.

The "problems with phone key" thread is littered with people who say they haven't had any problems with it, who then return later to say it's started being unreliable.

I resemble that remark. #KeyToo

Every few days I have to launch the Tesla app in order to get the connection working again. I have an iPhone X with latest OS, etc. My phone's Personal Hotspot suffers similar problems (often the phone says it's on but no one else can see it), so maybe the system is incorrectly trying to power these things down when it thinks they're not being used.

Have you tried raising the center rear seat head rest?
Yes, but it raise at the same height at the left and right seat while you are seating in a much higher position.
So the middle headrest is too low, also it is too far way from the neck.

It looks like that all the headrest in the M3 are more put for compliance regulation than for adding comfort :(
- The rear left and right headrest are not adjustable.
- None of the headset can oscillate forward or backward so you could used them for adding comfort to relax during long trips.
- Also the headset should be curved to keep you head in the center in case of back collision.

Honestly I'm very disappointed with the back seats sitting position.
Well, Tesla wanted to have the least Cd (coefficient of drag) as possible,
but I would have preferred having a car with a roof a little bit higher and a hatchback.

I can't wait to see how the Model Y back seat position would be improved compared to the Model 3.

I have no doubt that people are having issues. I'm curious what the issues are so I can see if it's happening to me. Also I would like to know what VIN number people have to see if it's a problem with earlier production vehicles and if Tesla has fixed it for the newer ones coming off the lot.

I can provide more details on my situation. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 phone. My current setting is for auto unlock and auto lock when I walk away. I have yet to get any failures when I try to open the door. So far every time I have my phone the door handle will work flawlessly.

I have noticed some strange behavior with Bluetooth in general though. Specifically when it comes to playing music from my phone. I do notice that my phone is connected to the car but every now and then for some reason it doesn't allow me to play media from my phone.

I'm surprised to hear so many issues with the phone as a key. My VIN in in the 33k and it's working great for me.

I actually really like not having to carry around something all day just because I need to access my car. It's nice only having my wallet and phone in my pockets.
I am surprised at how well mine works. I've had the car 2 weeks today and it's failed only onces out of the 60 - 70 times I've used it. (iPhone X)

Is it just my car or does everyone need to put a bit of extra muster to close the doors completely. I’ve seen all my passengers shut the door only to realize they didn’t close it hard enough and have to do it again.

Also don’t love the door handles. I prefer the S handles.

I haven't noticed, but I was also coming from a 2-door coupe with larger doors that needed more force to close than a 4-door sedan.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but it's seems like it's just a matter of time for a lot of people. The fact that there's at least half a dozen threads dedicated to this and new posts pop up all the time within other threads as more people take delivery shows there is a real problem (much to the denial of some people on this and other forums).

It looks like you've had your car for less than a week. I'd like to see how it's going after a month or two and a few car firmware updates and phone OS updates. Have you really had absolutely zero failures during the past week? Car unlocks every single time on the first try? Have you never once seen the screen asking for the key card to unlock or drive? Never once had to restart, toggle Bluetooth or airplane mode on/off on your phone? If so, I really hope it continues to work well for you and that you are one of the lucky ones.

We've seen people continue to be satisfied as time goes by and they are very vocal about it. Then there's the group who never had it working well from day one and we're very vocal about it. We've also seen people who boast that their phone was working "flawlessly" in their days-old car backtrack when they start having problems. What I haven't seen yet is someone having problems report that all the sudden their phone key started working perfectly.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but it's seems like it's just a matter of time for a lot of people. The fact that there's at least half a dozen threads dedicated to this and new posts pop up all the time within other threads as more people take delivery shows there is a real problem (much to the denial of some people on this and other forums).

It looks like you've had your car for less than a week. I'd like to see how it's going after a month or two and a few car firmware updates and phone OS updates. Have you really had absolutely zero failures during the past week? Car unlocks every single time on the first try? Have you never once seen the screen asking for the key card to unlock or drive? Never once had to restart, toggle Bluetooth or airplane mode on/off on your phone? If so, I really hope it continues to work well for you and that you are one of the lucky ones.

We've seen people continue to be satisfied as time goes by and they are very vocal about it. Then there's the group who never had it working well from day one and we're very vocal about it. We've also seen people who boast that their phone was working "flawlessly" in their days-old car backtrack when they start having problems. What I haven't seen yet is someone having problems report that all the sudden their phone key started working perfectly.
I'll keep an eye out for how updates to the firmware or my phone affects the keyless entry functionality. So far in the week I've had the car there has been 0 failures for me so far.

I do have problems accessing music from my phone though. There are occasions where I have to start the music on my phone because the car has access to the media file even though the phone is connected to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
I am surprised at how well mine works. I've had the car 2 weeks today and it's failed only onces out of the 60 - 70 times I've used it. (iPhone X)

@Devanish, none of this is directed at you personally, so please do not take any personal offense. You can see from my post history that the key fob is sore spot.

Let's put this in perspective (warning: numbers being pulled out of thin air to demonstrate a point; better numbers are certainly welcome). Failure once out of 60-70 times is about 1.5%. Say the average driver has around 3 "car opening" events per day. (Obviously, those who drive a lot for work will have much more, but there are plenty of people who just drive to and from work during the week and run some errands on the weekends.) In a year, the times an average person gets in their car might be around ~1100 (3/day x 365). In an optimistic, "phone key is working-well" situation, it's still failing about 16 times per year. (Estimating a larger number of times getting into the car only strengthens my point, so I chose a conservative number.)

How many people can honestly say they weren't able to get into any other car 16 times last year on the first try because of a recurrent problem with a conventional key/fob that wasn't fixable? Poll your family and friends about whether or not they are able to unlock their cars with their key; I'd bet most people would ask why that's even a question because it's a non-issue that no one thinks about as often as Model 3 owners have to.

Yet we accept this error rate because it's just so cool to be able to use a phone to unlock a car and not have to carry a remote or key fob around. I wrote in another post that Tesla doesn't need to make the phone key work perfectly because most people are just willing to put up occasional failure: the price of driving a "next gen" vehicle.

Reporting a phone as a key issue is pretty worthless without specifics. It seems dependent on phone model, OS version and firmware version.
With the specific set of variables I have I’ve not experienced any issues.
However I would suspect that there is a likelihood that iOS 12 and/or 2018.21.x will change that.

Reporting a phone as a key issue is pretty worthless without specifics. It seems dependent on phone model, OS version and firmware version.
With the specific set of variables I have I’ve not experienced any issues.
However I would suspect that there is a likelihood that iOS 12 and/or 2018.21.x will change that.

I'm not going to get into this too much here because it's been beaten to death in other threads. The argument is that such an integral function of the car shouldn't be relegated to something where there are so many variables in the first place. Those of us who want a fob want to take those variables out of the equation. No one who wants a fob is suggesting that the phone key go away. Those who have it working perfectly can continue to use it until it becomes unreliable when an OTA phone or car update gets pushed.

That strip of fabric right where the windshield meets the dash. On the first day of ownership I tossed the EZ-Pass from my old car onto it... with the Velcro still attached. The Velcro hooks snagged the fabric and now I have two small pulls in the fabric that I can't un-see.

I'm not going to get into this too much here because it's been beaten to death in other threads. The argument is that such an integral function of the car shouldn't be relegated to something where there are so many variables in the first place. Those of us who want a fob want to take those variables out of the equation. No one who wants a fob is suggesting that the phone key go away. Those who have it working perfectly can continue to use it until it becomes unreliable when an OTA phone or car update gets pushed.

A key fob option is a great idea. I'm sure people who want one are willing to pay for it so I'm surprised Tesla doesn't offer it.

@Devanish, none of this is directed at you personally, so please do not take any personal offense. You can see from my post history that the key fob is sore spot.

Let's put this in perspective (warning: numbers being pulled out of thin air to demonstrate a point; better numbers are certainly welcome). Failure once out of 60-70 times is about 1.5%. Say the average driver has around 3 "car opening" events per day. (Obviously, those who drive a lot for work will have much more, but there are plenty of people who just drive to and from work during the week and run some errands on the weekends.) In a year, the times an average person gets in their car might be around ~1100 (3/day x 365). In an optimistic, "phone key is working-well" situation, it's still failing about 16 times per year. (Estimating a larger number of times getting into the car only strengthens my point, so I chose a conservative number.)

How many people can honestly say they weren't able to get into any other car 16 times last year on the first try because of a recurrent problem with a conventional key/fob that wasn't fixable? Poll your family and friends about whether or not they are able to unlock their cars with their key; I'd bet most people would ask why that's even a question because it's a non-issue that no one thinks about as often as Model 3 owners have to.

Yet we accept this error rate because it's just so cool to be able to use a phone to unlock a car and not have to carry a remote or key fob around. I wrote in another post that Tesla doesn't need to make the phone key work perfectly because most people are just willing to put up occasional failure: the price of driving a "next gen" vehicle.
I see your point, and it is regrettable that this problem exists. In my opinion I don't think we can expect something like 1.5% failure rate on 1100, not since the software is still in active development and being improved. If this was my last car which was a first year production model with no OTA updates, It would be a serious concern for the long term. As I think about it, my 3 series BMW had a higher failure rate (mainly due to my laziness). There were long periods of time where the keyfob battery was so weak that touching the door handle didn't unlock the door unless I got my hip pocket or backpack with the fob close to the handle. It was a dance/handle caress ritual, this would go on for a few months until I finally would run out of all dignity and change the battery. I also remember a winter day where it was so cold that the fob wouldn't unlock the door at all, I had to insert the valet key into the lock (*the engine started without issue). The keyless entry was a $500 option for me on that car.