Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do for work? Just passing time waiting for updates from Tesla :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I run the research labs at a software company (Neustar). Before that, I ran the research labs at another software company (Symantec). I started out as an Operating System developer at Xerox in Palo Alto (right near Tesla HQ) in 1981.

Career Switch

Wow, interested in learning more about how you made that career switch. From time to time, I arrive at this existential crisis wherein I question what I'm doing for humanity (as an enterprise software engineer) and wonder if it'd have been more meaningful if I had taken up medicine instead :)

I switched early, after working only one year as an engineer. I kept my options open in college. Worked a year as a failure analysis engineer, then decided that it may be more fun to work with failure analysis in humans.:wink: Most physician careers require a very long time commitment in training (11 years after college for me:eek:), so you have to be sure. There are days that seem to be a grind, even though I know I'm helping patients. But overall, it's been a rewarding career.:smile:

Principal Reliability Engineer focusing on measurement and mitigation techniques of soft error (radiation induced glitches and memory bit flipped) in electron devices. With so many SoC's in the Model S, I am wondering if Tesla pays any special attention to this problem. How many times have you rebooted your touch screen because it either freeze up or some functionality is not working?

have you tried to outfit the fleet with hybrid diesel? Hybrid Diesel Trucks - Freightliner Trucks
I worked for a transit agency that spent a LOT of money on hybrid buses!

Fleet Maintenance Manager for a big Midwest retailer. Specifically hired to increase the fuel economy of our Class 8 heavy duty trucks. I'd love to build a hybrid Freightliner/Tesla big rig with a couple of P85 power plants. Seriously!!!!

Pilot flying turboprops (C208s) for a well known "Federal" company :wink: In another life in UK (I'm an "Ameri-Brit" now), a photographer. Worked for a while in advertising then switched to the MoD (DoD) and got to fly in some fast jets from time to time. The acceleration in the Model S reminds me A LOT of takeoff with twin afterburners fired up in a BAe Jaguar :smile:

How come I didn't know this thread before going to TESLIVE. This would help to know better about those who came to the event!

I am in computer software in Silicon valley, various roles. Started up a couple of software ventures, didn't make it. The latter one gone much further than the previous one though, if that counted as progress:).

Now I feel investing on TSLA is like running a startup! except you can't blame anyone else for losing money. :(

Last edited: