Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Installed Update v2023.26.1—Camera View On TESLA App Is A HUGE Disappointment!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the driving visualization count? It is much better after some of the recent updates. I've been using it to check my blind spots in addition to the blind spot camera views. It doesn't cover the rear but it should be possible since visualization is produced from the cameras. I don't see why a 360 degree driving visualization could not be displayed.

Does the driving visualization count? It is much better after some of the recent updates. I've been using it to check my blind spots in addition to the blind spot camera views. It doesn't cover the rear but it should be possible since visualization is produced from the cameras. I don't see why a 360 degree driving visualization could not be displayed.
?? It can. You simply touch the camera icon on the bottom and it shows full Left, Right, and Rear camera view in a huge display while driving. Short of planes flying over not sure what more one would want to see?

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
I'm not talking about the camera display. I know about that. I'm talking about the driving visualization that is always there while driving.
Oh thought you were referring to actual camera feed. Technically (at least on FSD) you can actually spin that animation with your finger and it will spin around to show all cars in all directions including behind. Don’t do it much but fun to play with.

Oh thought you were referring to actual camera feed. Technically (at least on FSD) you can actually spin that animation with your finger and it will spin around to show all cars in all directions including behind. Don’t do it much but fun to play with.

Yes, that also can be done with the non FSD visualization. That shows that a 360 degree view is possible within the visualization at least.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I’m suggesting that TESLA needs to write their own code to perform this same end function. No patent can prohibit a company from developing its own version of the same function.
This statement not be any more perfectly wrong if it tried. The entire purpose of a patent is to take a novel idea and disclose it publicly (so that it is not lost to society over time as it would be if it were kept secret) in exchange for a limited period in which the patent holder is the only entity allowed to commercially implement it. It is absolutely NOT legal to take something that is patented, reimplement it and start selling it (unless licensed to do so by the patent holder).

This statement not be any more perfectly wrong if it tried. The entire purpose of a patent is to take a novel idea and disclose it publicly (so that it is not lost to society over time as it would be if it were kept secret) in exchange for a limited period in which the patent holder is the only entity allowed to commercially implement it. It is absolutely NOT legal to take something that is patented, reimplement it and start selling it (unless licensed to do so by the patent holder).
You’ve either misunderstood what I said or you are not taking it into account. You cannot patent a lighted visor. You can patent a specific design for a lighted visor. Anyone else is free to come up with their own lighted visor, provided they have not copied your design.

The same is true with stitching multiple video feeds together in real time into a single video feed. This obviously requires computer code to achieve this. The specific code used to achieve this can be patented. No one can copy that code without permission. TESLA can most certainly write their own software that stitches the video feeds from their multiple camera angles into a single live video feed. (Some have commented on the lack of utility if TESLA were to do this. I’m not arguing against that. I am merely arguing that this feature cannot be patented by anyone, but rather the method of achieving this feature can be patented.)

The specific code used to achieve this can be patented.
The code would be subject to copyright, not a patent. That's a different type of intellectual property.

I am merely arguing that this feature cannot be patented by anyone, but rather the method of achieving this feature can be patented.)
The feature can be patented, I'm afraid. Back circa 2000 there was much discussion and protest within the software community about extending the concept of patents to software (which had previously only been protected by copyright) precisely because any software-implemented invention almost immediately becomes obvious to others skilled in the art, they tend to be overly broad, and they do not deliver the benefits to society that the concept of patenting was intended to deliver back when people had to invent a physical thing to solve a problem. That debate was lost (more comprehensively in the US than in Europe) because money.
There's a history of it with the various arguments here: Software patent debate - Wikipedia

I can't (confidently) find the specific patent for a 360 parking view to check but I'd bet you good money it says something overly broad like 'a means for joining multiple independent video feeds into a single video image providing a simultaneous, 360 degree view around a vehicle for the purposes of aiding parking'. If you want an example, here's a patent in the area that I found while looking it up (this might even be the real one for all I know). Have a look at the language used and imagine that applied to the concept of a 360 stitched camera view and you'll see why Tesla would not be able to implement this without licensing the original patent.

What Tesla could do legally, and I'm a bit surprised they haven't done based on what they claim they can do with the occupancy network, is provide a 360 view rendered from their occupancy data, not the cameras. That would have the advantage of also providing height information for obstacles instead of the (sometimes wildly distorted) video image in the birds eye systems.

Of course! And I’m not suggesting that TESLA should copy Nissan’s (or whichever company’s) code to perform a stitching of real-time video feeds. I’m suggesting that TESLA needs to write their own code to perform this same end function. No patent can prohibit a company from developing its own version of the same function. Just like a lighted visor. You can’t patent a lighted visor, such that you could prohibit other companies from developing their own lighted visors. However, you can patent your own technology that accomplishes this, and other companies are free to develop their own designs that accomplish the same feature.

I don't and have not argued that point at all. I agree with this 100% and I want very much to see this feature included. I was very disappointed to see that we still don't have it. My only point was I wasn't expecting it based on:
  1. This was a mobile feature…and that's not how a Birds Eye view is useful
  2. The imagery and name was pretty clear it wasn't.
  3. Developing something that doesn't infringe is very difficult and takes a lot of time and investment and knowing Tesla, they are not ones to spend that capital to do it.

However, you can patent your own technology that accomplishes this, and other companies are free to develop their own designs that accomplish the same feature.
But if the other company had a good patent attorney, the patent was written to cover many possible implementations, that it is possible there is no reasonable method left unpatented.

I don't and have not argued that point at all. I agree with this 100% and I want very much to see this feature included. I was very disappointed to see that we still don't have it. My only point was I wasn't expecting it based on:
  1. This was a mobile feature…and that's not how a Birds Eye view is useful
  2. The imagery and name was pretty clear it wasn't.
  3. Developing something that doesn't infringe is very difficult and takes a lot of time and investment and knowing Tesla, they are not ones to spend that capital to do it.
Fair points.
I disagree with you on point #2.
The image, I felt, made it appear that this was the 360-degree camera view. (SEE PHOTO from the Release Notes)

Attachments

• IMG_3915.jpeg
    IMG_3915.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 56