Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you plan to tow?

What kind of trailer(s) do you plan to tow with your Cybertruck?

• Small rental trailer

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Small toy-hauler for single golf cart, side-by-side UTV, or 1-2 jet skis, quads, or snowmobiles

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Larger 2-axle toy-hauler (multiple ATVs, 4-snowmobiles, carl hauler)

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Enclosed 1-axle utility trailer

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Enclosed 2-axle utility trailer / race trailer

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Enclosed 2-horse trailer

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Small travel trailer / camper

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Large 2-axle travel trailer / camper

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Heavy equipment (bobcat) or dump-trailer (bumper pull)

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Large gooseneck or 5th wheel

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Boat

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 11.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
d7866ce3-732d-4080-bf7f-526a6d50ef61-jpeg.395782

The X goes 100-120 miles, hoping the tri motor can do at least 2-2.5x that. Would also like to not have to have an ICE for fast track day toy, where’s my Plaid S at yo

Currently the King of towing is usually a very heavy duty truck, with a huge diesel (turbo) and an equally large fuel tank. These are specialized towing rigs that are pretty useless for anything else. They smell bad and stink up everyplace they go. Usually need to climb to get inside, ride terrible when unladened. Burns through $100 fill-ups.

Cybertruck will be a much better all around vehicle. Will be able to tow quite a bit, but range will suffer. Towing to a local campground, to the dump, moving stuff around a construction site will show off it's capability, but will not be the choice for many, pulling huge loads for long distances.

Some will make it work. Even stopping often to charge will be offset by it's lower cost and added versatility.

Currently the King of towing is usually a very heavy duty truck, with a huge diesel (turbo) and an equally large fuel tank. These are specialized towing rigs that are pretty useless for anything else. They smell bad and stink up everyplace they go. Usually need to climb to get inside, ride terrible when unladened. Burns through $100 fill-ups.

Cybertruck will be a much better all around vehicle. Will be able to tow quite a bit, but range will suffer. Towing to a local campground, to the dump, moving stuff around a construction site will show off it's capability, but will not be the choice for many, pulling huge loads for long distances.

Some will make it work. Even stopping often to charge will be offset by it's lower cost and added versatility.
The CT towing and payload is on par with other 1/2 ton trucks very few of which are diesel. The CT will be No where near a “very heavy duty truck, with a huge diesel (turbo) and an equally large fuel tank”. Those trucks can have >37k lb tow capacity and >7800 lb payload.

2020 Ford F-350
Pickup truck

Towing capacity: 12,000 to 20,000 lbs
MSRP: From $35,220
Payload: 3,775 to 7,033 lbs
Gross vehicle weight rating: 10,000 to 14,000 lbs
Horsepower: 385 to 475 hp
Engine: 6.2 L V8, 6.7 L V8 diesel, 7.3 L V8
Body styles
Regular Cab
From $35,220

Super Cab
From $37,560

Crew Cab
From $38,820

2020 Ford F-250
Pickup truck

MSRP: From $33,705
Towing capacity: 12,300 to 15,000 lbs
Horsepower: 385 to 475 hp
Curb weight: 5,677 to 7,538 lbs
Fuel tank capacity: 34 to 48 gal
Engine: 6.2 L V8, 6.7 L V8 diesel, 7.3 L V8
Body styles
Regular Cab
From $33,705

Super Cab
From $36,040

Crew Cab
From $37,295

I like your car trailer Makes access easy What is your total weight with that trailer Are you able to put spare tires and and a toolbox in the front. Who makes it or is it home built. I have never seen an enclosed car trailer that opens in the front like that. I would want the ability to mount a winch so I can load cars that are dead.

I'm going to tow, at least once, our 1970 Airstream. We'll take it to a campground to see how it tows, see what the range is like, etc.

I don't see myself getting rid of the Dodge 3500. The CT should tow as well as a F150, which isn't nearly as well as any 3500 pickup. I'm ok with that, actually!

I would think the CT would be great for moving horses around. No engine noise, no exhaust fumes, happier horse.

I like your car trailer Makes access easy What is your total weight with that trailer Are you able to put spare tires and and a toolbox in the front. Who makes it or is it home built. I have never seen an enclosed car trailer that opens in the front like that. I would want the ability to mount a winch so I can load cars that are dead.
Hi Thomas - I think that q was for me. The trailer is a Montrose: Montrose Trailers - Custom Aluminum Trailers
It has a tire rack up front and empty weight is just over 2000lbs. I’d rather not share total weight but it’d be 2k plus the weight of the car and spares and things. It’s 20 feet inside so it’s a little tight but there’s room for a winch.
Not the cheapest, but I’ve been very happy with it.

I personally don't intend on towing anything. Once we start to get closer to production, I will however start to visit some construction sites, painting companies, landscaping to to try and lobby the cybertruck for some of the use. Any company that uses trucks for work purposes. As mentioned range will take a hit. Even if they buy 1 for their use. That's enough to get the word around.

I tow a ~6800 lb camper 5-10k miles a summer and based on my math for the difference in MPG with my Land Cruiser when I’m towing. I put it in the 150-200 mile range max running =< 60mph for the 500+mile CT. We are typically in the same spot for at least 2 nights so I think charging on 50a should be fine.

Many of our campgrounds have upgraded to power over the last few years with the RV traffic boom up here in Alaska so now many have 30a and 50a on the same site. Charge the truck on 50a and plug the camper on 30a. We don’t have superchargers anywhere in state so when we do long trips in the 3 are charging at campgrounds already.

Yup the split power at sites would be better. Just seems a lot of money for maybe 2 hour increments on driving and it will limit me to power only sites. At that price I'm into a good heavy duty pickup price range.

What I really like about Tesla is how there are almost nothing you have to sacrifice from a gas vehicle. And this would be the one case where I think for a Tesla I would be in my situation.