Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think the “Rectifications” are costing Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With seeing the cars that need paint repairs, adjustments, etc...what do you think this is costing Tesla? I know Elon sent the email regarding the issues, but do you think it will get to a point where they will have to really crack down on procedures at the plant? It does seem that here and on FB when people post pics of their vehicles a lot of times the first question asked is “how is the quality?” I think it can cause even minor issues (that other brands also have) to be be picked apart because buyers are inspecting more than usual. I know I would go over this car more than I have any other vehicle I bought.

Reactions: Levelheadsteve
This might just be the reality of dealing with any new car that is in super high demand.

'Saw similar posts of customers complaining about their new Corvette C*'s.
Last month, we covered an issue that involved an incorrectly sized screw chipping paint on the C8’s doors. Other one-off problems include a horn that honks itself, windows that roll up and down without warning, and spots in the car’s paint."
Lots of complaints about uneven stitching and panel fitments. Sounds familiar.

Agree. Because of forum posts, customers suffer from high anxiety and go over their cars at delivery with a fine tooth comb. This close inspection will obviously reveal many little items that would normally go unnoticed.

Finding a flaw in a Tesla will immediately send many posters to their keyboards.

I spoke to the head of body shop support in my local Tesla SC while we were going over glaring defects with my MY and she said corporate had sent out a memo instructing SCs to seriously limit the amount of repairs they were doing because when Tesla corp ran the math, the cars were no longer profitable. Saying this while time-bounding me to go point out the issues which were 1/4 the number of the photos I sent them (60+) and quickly compromise on the less noticeable (ex. completely missing paint in door jamb, paint nibs in lower thirds of doors) defects.

I’m not holding my MY to any standard higher than I gave my 2007 Mazda RX8 which I traded in (and delivery advisor said they were so impressed by my trade-in the manager and staff came out to inspect it and also said no MY delivered so far has a paint finish as good.. take from that what you will) and have lowered my expectations based on forum posts and my own experience with my 2018 Model 3 which from the get-go I have accepted a few defects as a given with Tesla ownership (uneven pearl white paint, fenders not flush, inherent deformations / dents in doors from day 1); I have never gone to Tesla to complain about those issues; I’m a very proud Tesla owner and have derived joy from driving my Model 3 around while the MY has been in service the last 7 days- a car that I thought would become super ceded by the MY in build quality that I was sure Tesla had improved on after 2 years- but you know what- the Model 3 by comparison- itself already flawed compared to other new cars- is comparatively immaculate compared to my new MY.

D8F3CC61-FAC0-4E42-8626-E917C4AF15A4.jpeg
168C8B35-E9A5-457A-BE1F-25D00AE9DA51.jpeg
194FE888-A7EC-470E-A058-6F941BAAF618.jpeg

Last edited:
This is just a guess, but I suspect at this time Tesla is willing to pay more to rectify minor problems than to slow down production to improve fit and finish. Hopefully over the next few months the bugs will be ironed out and Tesla won't have to trade off quality for speed.

I spoke to the head of body shop support in my local Tesla SC while we were going over glaring defects with my MY and she said corporate had sent out a memo instructing SCs to seriously limit the amount of repairs they were doing because when Tesla corp ran the math, the cars were no longer profitable.
I'm sorry, but my BS alarm goes off at stuff like this.

Most all cars and homes come with a punch list that needs sorting, usually at your friendly local service center.

Tesla is aware to the penny what it cost them for "customer Satisfaction" adjustments. They, of course, factor that into their production/profit figures.

In spite of what seem to be challenging by many owners, it still remains a fact that they are the most valuable Auto manufacturer in N. America.

It's fatiguing, repair was supposed to be done in 3 days, on 3rd day, I see ETA of repair moved +7 days due to "paint department is backed up", I'm betting they are busy repairing rejected MYs to reschedule deliveries to original customer or to be resold; they gave me a S P90D loaner that's locked in chill mode and no fun, I just drive my Model 3- for the length of the repair, should have done uber credits ($100 per day, $1000 in credits would have been useful).. for all the MYs being repaired in the lots, this must be adding to their expenses - in the end I just want my MY back which I really like if not for the paint issues, and hopefully it's back be closer to my Model 3's condition; quite a disappointment. I've already educated myself and have everything for wet sanding any remaining issues, compounding, then polishing... this adds to what I already did for the glass scratches from the factory

update: nightmare gets worse- I just got a "Service Parts Update" email concerning "21 INCH UBERTURBINE LUG NUT COVER" qty 4 ... I was suspicious when I checked on my car a few days ago in the service lot and noticed the lug nut covers were taken off- I could not figure out why they would need to remove my wheels for the defects to be addressed; prior to service drop-off I had thoroughly cleaned my wheels (and lug nut covers) and they are in perfect condition. Now I'm suspicious they used my car as a parts bin for another MY customer that needed that part. Ugh.

Last edited:
It's fatiguing, repair was supposed to be done in 3 days, on 3rd day, I see ETA of repair moved +7 days due to "paint department is backed up", I'm betting they are busy repairing rejected MYs to reschedule deliveries to original customer or to be resold; they gave me a S P90D loaner that's locked in chill mode and no fun, I just drive my Model 3- for the length of the repair, should have done uber credits ($100 per day, $1000 in credits would have been useful).. for all the MYs being repaired in the lots, this must be adding to their expenses - in the end I just want my MY back which I really like if not for the paint issues, and hopefully it's back be closer to my Model 3's condition; quite a disappointment. I've already educated myself and have everything for wet sanding any remaining issues, compounding, then polishing... this adds to what I already did for the glass scratches from the factory

update: nightmare gets worse- I just got a "Service Parts Update" email concerning "21 INCH UBERTURBINE LUG NUT COVER" qty 4 ... I was suspicious when I checked on my car a few days ago in the service lot and noticed the lug nut covers were taken off- I could not figure out why they would need to remove my wheels for the defects to be addressed; prior to service drop-off I had thoroughly cleaned my wheels (and lug nut covers) and they are in perfect condition. Now I'm suspicious they used my car as a parts bin for another MY customer that needed that part. Ugh.
Sorry to hear man and hope it works out in the end. If you haven't read my previous post, SC had my blue MY for over two weeks, replaced and repainted all doors. After being addressed by the paint shop three times while at SC with the last being an independent shop and racking up $1200 in loaner rental fees, the paint now what I would deem as near perfect.

Reactions: gundarx and DennyL
Sorry to hear man and hope it works out in the end. If you haven't read my previous post, SC had my blue MY for over two weeks, replaced and repainted all doors. After being addressed by the paint shop three times while at SC with the last being an independent shop and racking up $1200 in loaner rental fees, the paint now what I would deem as near perfect.
Mines is at the body shop as well, they estimated 3-4 weeks. The same body shop worked on my Lexus, therefore, I do expect my Model Y PUP fixes to look better than factory. ;)

she said corporate had sent out a memo instructing SCs to seriously limit the amount of repairs they were doing because when Tesla corp ran the math, the cars were no longer profitable.
There is nothing wrong with badly put together cars to be unprofitable. Shame on Tesla (and also on the local SC supervisors) in even suggesting that "repairs should be limited". Instead of acknowledging that "Houston we have a problem", they want customers to just take them as is. Nice try Tesla. Hey if you want the repairs to be limited, just don't have so many issues. Just look at Tesla advertised jobs in Freemont. Not a single job for Quality control manager. We all know why.

I'm sorry, but my BS alarm goes off at stuff like this.

Yea, my service person didn’t give me any issues about fixing the paint.... if they were instructed to deny claims she would have tried something...

She did ask if I wanted the bumper fixed as that meant I would be missing my car for a week, which I thought was a little odd... but I didn’t get any grief...

also I imagine if you go in with a 3 page list, a set of calipers, and a bad attitude you probably get a different result.

All you need is a quality control team that does not answer to the shop boss, and can pull and car off the line when they find quality control issues. Yes, it will hold up production. But, in the end, the service centers will not be faced with unhappy customers, you won't need to be spending money on car rentals, and you won't be paying outside shops to correct problems that should have been done at the factory.

Someone mentioned "Can someone send Elon the pick-up checklist?" I have a MY coming next month. I'd love it if someone can post a checklist here, or a link to another thread with one, that I can use to review my car on delivery. It would be great if it include how to check of the various alignment issues (panel gaps, back seats, etc) that have been mentioned.