Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does FSD get us?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a newbie to the Tesla FSD. Just got my (new) Model Y a month ago and I paid for the FSD package.

Three (-ish) questions:
1. What does FSD add at this point, above autopilot without FSD?
2. How do I tell what hardware version I have? (I would guess all Model Ys have the latest hardware, but what version is it? Is the hardware version number listed somewhere?)
3. If there are increased hardware requirements in the future, do I have to pay for them, or is that included in the FSD package that I paid for upfront?

1. What does FSD add at this point, above autopilot without FSD?

Congrats on your new Model Y.

It was listed plainly on the website when you selected the option. FSD gets you these features:

aJDIRZN.png

2. How do I tell what hardware version I have? (I would guess all Model Ys have the latest hardware, but what version is it? Is the hardware version number listed somewhere?)

All new Model Y's should have the latest FSD computer already installed. You can go to your software screen and it will tell you. Tap the "car" on the far left in the black bar at the bottom of the screen and select "software" at the bottom of your menu. You should be on a screen that tells you information about your car and your software version. Then, tap "additional information". It should list your Autopilot computer as "FSD computer".

OQtEFPY.png

3. If there are increased hardware requirements in the future, do I have to pay for them, or is that included in the FSD package that I paid for upfront?

Unknown. It probably depends on whether Tesla feels that they have delivered FSD or not. With AP2, Tesla gave a free upgrade to the FSD computer because they were not able to deliver the FSD features to AP2 owners. If Tesla is able to deliver the last FSD feature ("autosteer on city streets") then it is likely IMO that they won't offer any more free computer upgrades because they will consider that they delivered FSD.

Last edited:
Can I assume I have FSD HW3? Is there anywhere that this is actually mentioned as such? It's something I know now, but will probably forget in a few months. ;)

I just told you in my previous post.

Go to the software screen and tap "additional vehicle information" and it will tell you. It should list your Autopilot computer as "Full Self-Driving computer". If it does, then you have FSD HW3. If it says "AP2.5 computer", then you don't have the latest computer. But you will get a free upgrade to HW3.

The screen should look like this:

OQtEFPY.png

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva