Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What else do you drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I moved from a pretty basic VW Up to the Model 3 SR+.

The Up didn't even have a trip computer, so a massive step up for me.

Before the Up i've had a VW Polo, Golf GT, and Golf GTI.

M3 is the new People’s Car then, it’s official.

It was never going to be ID3 at those prices and the late to the party design was it.

Got to say though all my Volkswagens have been near perfect. My Golf GTE was nearly the perfect everyday car. Nearly.

DC2 Teg, the only car I have ever regretted selling, as a driving experience with FWD, no sound proofing, hugging Recaro seats, 5 gears, no TC, its a totally different driving experience from our X. Really do miss it some days, but for all the reasons I miss it, is the exact reasons why I couldn't live with it as my only car, crawling in M25 traffic in summer with no air con in it was the opposite of fun!

6889763778_f658ced8c9_b.jpg

Exactly the same. regretted selling one for ten years, finally succumbed and bought another one. I adore the handling, totally adjustable with the right foot, strong diff response, feels like it pirouettes. But, if it helps with your regrets it doesn’t feel the same as it did, I just feel too old to be rinsing something to 9000rpm to get the best out of it. But I still love it.

Reactions: gangzoom
I switched from a 3.0 V6 diesel Range Rover Sport to a Model X.

Actually one of the main reasons to switch was the Model X has considerably more space, especially in the boot.

I was also getting increasingly fed up drive a rough diesel engine that hates to be revved.

The RRS was slightly better to drive than the Model X (lighter and smaller) and had a nicer interior (IMO Range Rovers have the most pleasant interiors of any car). The X has better technology, is considerably faster and smother and is more spacious. I prefer the X. My wife, who was very skeptical of the change, currently would not swap her X for anything else.

My other car is a 911 C4S Cabriolet. I wanted a car that was totally different to my other car and liked the idea of being able to put the roof down. Also if I had a sports car I wanted 4 seats so I could take the family out.

I drive it a lot less since getting the Tesla. Even the 911 feels agricultural compared to an electric motor. It is faster, but only if you throttle it. It does, however, feel like a go cart compared to driving an SUV. Increasingly though the family find it noisy and uncomfortable.

I would love an electric replacement for the 911. I have already posted on the Roadster board that I would prefer a slower less excessive Roadster. I really don't want or need a car that gets to 60 in 2 seconds. I would actually consider a Cybertruck as simply a different interesting kind of vehicle. At the moment my hope is that Porsche make a convertible Taycan, supposedly it has been designed with this in mind and I think it would be just right for what I need. Maybe something else will come along.

One of my favourite things about cars is the constant mental (and actual) search for the new ideal car to compliment or replace one. Porsche have got to make a convertible Taycan or perhaps even a 911 sometime haven’t they?

Just the sort of answer I was hoping for! A car for every occasion equals the perfect garage in my eyes.

I think we would all like a garage like that!! If only money wasn't an issue :).

I have to say am really amazed how our Tesla has got under my skin. 40K+ miles in a SUV that I use every day for the nursery run, weekend family trips, even spring clean runs to the skip, I really should have got bored with it by now. It really is the only car I have ever owned I have zero interest in moving on from.

But this morning leaving for work just at 8:15am, I just couldn't help take the scenic route.....Any car that can make me smile on a Sunday morning drive to work has to be doing something right!!

Still have a Landrover Freelander 2 to handle really bad weather and load lugging. Before that I had a Jaguar XK8. I really thought I'd use the Landrover more than I do. It's been out twice in two months.

But, if it helps with your regrets it doesn’t feel the same as it did, I just feel too old to be rinsing something to 9000rpm to get the best out of it. But I still love it.

HaHa, don't you love getting old!!

I remember been out dragged by a diesel Civic when I shifted too early and fell out of the VTEC zone, all that noise and very little progress.

It's a shame we're probably the last generation to get tingling feeling when some one mentions those 4 letters, the combination of VTEC, 9000RPM, RWD and a wet round about in an early S2000 is something I'll never forget :).

87ef1b60a3f0bf4de93686d2bf76496c.jpg

I know a couple of members on here have weekend Aston Martin cars. Me included. What is interesting, is that clients and friends are more interested in the Tesla rather than the Aston. Surprisingly the Aston is also much cheaper to insure. £360 a year for 716 of bhp.

Agree. I had a Mark IV Golf, and then got a Mark V. I drove the Mark IV again while I was selling it and it felt like driving a bus.

The Mark IV I had was a piece of s***. Broke down 3 times within 10 months. Timing belt went and the entire engine had to be rebuilt. Amazingly I got some guy in Birmingham to do it for me for £600 with a second hand engine block. Then sold it a month later.

So glad I don't have to have any of those issues with the Model 3.

Yup. The 8 valve mkIV GTI was, if I remember correctly, quite literally the slowest Golf GTI they ever made, in terms of 0-60 times at least. I think they had quicker concurrent diesels. It was like they had a load of spare badges lying around.

Downsizing from a Merc E class 250 cdi estate as the kids start to migrate away, sold on autotrader yesterday!
Hoping for a smooth pick up of a M3SR+ on Saturday.
Other car is a 1st gen Nissan Leaf so all in on the EV experience now.

Not as impressive as some people's collections but the Octavia RS TDI has gone to make way for the M3P.

We've bought a V40 for me to drive until the Tesla arrives then that will become the wife's daily driver to replace her C1.

Sold a 2015 Golf R and haven’t looked back.

I prefer the Golf’s interior, of I’m honest, but my P-‘s driving experience is something else.
I could never quite get used to the DSG. Always felt that whenever I unexpectedly needed power it would always take a second or so for the gearbox to sort itself out. A second can be an eternity when you’re just pulling out of a junction.
The insta-torque on the M3 is just too good for words.

Wouldn’t go back if you paid me :)

DC2 Teg, the only car I have ever regretted selling, as a driving experience with FWD, no sound proofing, hugging Recaro seats, 5 gears, no TC, its a totally different driving experience from our X. Really do miss it some days, but for all the reasons I miss it, is the exact reasons why I couldn't live with it as my only car, crawling in M25 traffic in summer with no air con in it was the opposite of fun!

6889763778_f658ced8c9_b.jpg

Exactly the same. regretted selling one for ten years, finally succumbed and bought another one. I adore the handling, totally adjustable with the right foot, strong diff response, feels like it pirouettes. But, if it helps with your regrets it doesn’t feel the same as it did, I just feel too old to be rinsing something to 9000rpm to get the best out of it. But I still love it.
I have an Alpine A110, lightweight great fun and relative to most sports cars, economical.

To offset my carbon on the above I have 10kW of solar and biomass for heating.

The vast majority of mileage will be in the M3.
HaHa, don't you love getting old!!

I remember been out dragged by a diesel Civic when I shifted too early and fell out of the VTEC zone, all that noise and very little progress.

It's a shame we're probably the last generation to get tingling feeling when some one mentions those 4 letters, the combination of VTEC, 9000RPM, RWD and a wet round about in an early S2000 is something I'll never forget :).

87ef1b60a3f0bf4de93686d2bf76496c.jpg

Absolutely this. It feels quick when on its toes but pre VTEC it’s almost painfully slower than any other performance car.

Sold a 2015 Golf R and haven’t looked back.

I prefer the Golf’s interior, of I’m honest, but my P-‘s driving experience is something else.
I could never quite get used to the DSG. Always felt that whenever I unexpectedly needed power it would always take a second or so for the gearbox to sort itself out. A second can be an eternity when you’re just pulling out of a junction.
The insta-torque on the M3 is just too good for words.

Wouldn’t go back if you paid me :)

Getting rid of my DSG or any box for that matter is a massive plus, gears are so yesterday now