Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else done anything stupid when driving an ICE vehicle, now you are used to a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In no particular order:
  • Wipers on mad speed for reverse
  • Leaving key in and walking off
  • Not being able to find the speedo
  • Leaving it running and in reverse (rear wheel against something) getting out and standing behind it. Realised before it moved
Going the other way - the other car has a diesel engine with a huge turbo, so you need to give the go pedal a bit of a prod to get going. So muscle memory. Pulling out of the SC in my new M3P was a bit quicker than I intended.

Reactions: Stranger Dings
Just Yesterday....

Mrs. Hurricane drives a Honda CRV that's now parked on our hot FL driveway. Being the good husband that I am, I saw her windows were rolled up. The car was hot, hot, hot! So, I hit the start button to accessory mode and cracked the windows. I then left the car and walked away, just like I do in my MYLR.

She made me call AAA this morning.

I’m getting close to two years driving my M3P now and so when I occasionally drive my wife or daughters ICE vehicles I’m prone to the odd brain fart.

The other day, I moved my daughters car to allow me to get my car out. It was after a couple hours away, that I returned to find that I’d left her car on the driveway unlocked, with the keys in the ignition and the engine still running. Oooops. That’s what happens when you get used to just walking away from your car after you drive it.

Anyone else prone to forgetting that ICE vehicles require a bit more thought? 😁
I've noticed that wifey and I are forgetting more and more these days, but it's nice we don't have to turn off the "motor" when we park at the store, nor "start" the motor when we come out to drive home. I forgot one of only two items I was to buy at the store, coming home with only one. When she reminded me there were TWO items, I only smiled: Hey! I get to drive to the store! Again! No loss.

I would suggest that you and the daughter get together and figure out how to get her into a Model 3. She'd be happy, and you wouldn't be leaving the car running, wasting electrons. Might set a trend. We need to ALL dump these gas cars and move to electrics.

What am I missing on the wipers for reverse thing? My right stick is my 'gearstick' which I select D, N or R (or P if I press the end button).

My left stalk is for indicators with the button on the end doing a single wipe / spray.

Is there some shortcut to putting wipers on that saves fumbling with the screen?

What am I missing on the wipers for reverse thing? My right stick is my 'gearstick' which I select D, N or R (or P if I press the end button).

My left stalk is for indicators with the button on the end doing a single wipe / spray.

Is there some shortcut to putting wipers on that saves fumbling with the screen?
!!
These are things you do in your ICE car (assuming your ICE uses right stalk for wipers)... inadvertently use the ICE stalk to change into reverse ... so you start wiping the screen during a 3 point turn...

!!
These are things you do in your ICE car (assuming your ICE uses right stalk for wipers)... inadvertently use the ICE stalk to change into reverse ... so you start wiping the screen during a 3 point turn...
Oh yeah. Put myself to shame there, didn't I?

The handbrake is the one for me on my wife's X5. Driveway on an incline and it's only when I open the door that I realise I'm slowly rolling towards the garage doors.

Reactions: Adopado
I haven't driven an ICE vehicle since buying a Tesla, but I've heard of people who have left their cars running multiple times.

I've had my M3 for 6 months, but I still reach for the ICE key on the steering column to turn it off sometimes.
I have done that when I first got my tesla 5-6 years ago. The other car was a 90s SL (exactly why it wasnt gotten rid of too) so there was no warnings whatever you try to do.

Went to the shop to pick some stuff and came back to a running car. (that said, in some winter countries it's perfectly normal to do this)