Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What get's downgraded to get to a 35K Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tander

Jul 23, 2012
Just pricing out a model 3, and right now the cheapest is at 46k. If they are going to sell one for 35k obviously the battery is going to have to have less range (software limited or physically?). But is a lower range battery really going to make up for the 11k difference? Are they going to start downgrading other parts of it? If so what would get downgraded?

Well, they're not going to be able to reduce the cost of the vehicle by giving you the physical cells and not charging you for it. ;)

All current Model 3 include the Premium Upgrade Package (PUP). The $35,000 car will not, so it's more that the base model will not be upgraded rather than being downgraded.

See the presskit for the list of standard features: Press Kit | Tesla

Base Standard Range will have a 50kWh battery compared to 62 on the MR and 75 on LR. Each pack is unique to each other by amountof cells so it is not software locked. The lowest current avialable is at 46k but that includes the $5,000 premium package So you lose all these.
  1. Glass roof
  2. Heated seats
  3. Vegan leather
  4. Power adjustable stering column, front seats and side. Mirrors
  5. Premium audio
  6. Glass roof
  7. Led fog lamps
  8. Front phone dock

Just pricing out a model 3, and right now the cheapest is at 46k. If they are going to sell one for 35k obviously the battery is going to have to have less range (software limited or physically?). But is a lower range battery really going to make up for the 11k difference? Are they going to start downgrading other parts of it? If so what would get downgraded?
I was going to say google it up, but will give you a bit of gentleness you being a member from 2012 already.

The price structure has been known since 2016 already, tesla spelled is out in their Model 3 press kit

STANDARD EQUIPMENT

Base Price - $35,000

Standard Battery
  • Range: 220 miles (EPA estimated)
  • Supercharging rate: 130 miles of range per 30 minutes
  • Home charging rate: 30 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 32A)
  • Deliveries begin: Late 2018
Performance
  • 0-60 mph: 5.6 seconds
  • Top speed: 130 mph
Interior
  • 15” touchscreen display
  • Dual zone climate control system
  • FM radio and Bluetooth® connectivity, with on-demand & internet radio capability
  • Textile seating
  • Front center console with open storage and two USB ports
Convenience
  • Maps and navigation with real-time traffic-based routing
  • Wi-Fi and cellular internet capability
  • Keyless entry and remote climate control using the Tesla app
  • Voice activated controls
  • Bluetooth hands-free calling and media streaming
  • 60/40 split folding rear seat to maximize cargo options
  • Back-up camera
  • Auto dimming rear-view mirror
  • One-touch power windows throughout
  • Power-adjustable side mirrors
  • 12-volt power outlet
Safety
  • Full LED exterior lighting
  • Eight cameras, forward radar and twelve ultrasonic sensors enabling active safety technologies including collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking
  • Six front row and two side curtain airbags
  • Three-point safety belts with belt-reminders for driver and four passengers
  • Two LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) attachments in second row
  • Electronic stability and traction control
  • Four-wheel antilock disc brakes with electronic parking brake
  • Child safety locks
  • Anti-theft alarm system
  • Tire pressure monitoring system
Warranty
  • Vehicle: 4 year, 50,000 mile limited warranty
  • Battery warranty: 8 year, 100,000 mile (120,000 mile with Long Range Battery)

Currently produced models come with Premium interior, costing $5.000 and consisting of
  • Heated seating and better cabin materials, including “open pore wood décor”
  • Two rear USB ports
  • Power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors (which are very cool)
  • Subwoofer and premium audio system with surround
  • Tinted glass roof
  • Power folding heated side mirrors that dim automatically
  • Docking ports up front for two smartphones
  • LED fog lights
They also all come with LR (+$9.000) or MR (+$6.000) battery.

Ergo:
  • Model 3 SR, standard interior: $35.000 - not available yet
  • Model 3 SR, premium interior: $40.000 - not available yet
  • Model 3 MR, standard interior: $41.000 - not available yet
  • Model 3 MR, premium interior: $46.000
  • Model 3 LR, premium interior: $49.000 - not available anymore
  • there are additional possible upgrades like wheels, AP, FSD, performance, ... adding up to ~76k?

To further reduce cost, maybe we'll get this option instead? o_O

33f9t2r.jpg

Fewer cells, with different battery pack to lower cost (and weight).
Reject bin motor. :p
32A charger.
No PUP: cloth seats, front heated only, basic stereo, metal roof, no heated mirrors (grumble, grumble).

@tander

There’s snow in your avatar. Snow and SR is two things that don’t belong.

If I were Tesla, I would make the SR very unappealing to buy.

No one is going to pay 35K for a car and add 8K worth of software on top.

Tax credit whittles down to 1/4th by the time SR rolls out.

That 3/4ths would have paid for the better battery so SR doesn’t make any sense.

You probably have about 12 hours to save yourself a lot of future regret. I’d go find an MR or LR immediately.

There’s snow in your avatar. Snow and SR is two things that don’t belong.

They actually fit together quite well. If you take a look at all of the other EVs, including some of the Teslas with less range, they all do quite well in the snow and cold and all have less range. The range reduction issues that are going on are only new to new users. To previous EV owners, it is something that has been known and managed for years.

If I were Tesla, I would make the SR very unappealing to buy.

Why? They've still got the ability to sell a lot of the $35k cars. Not everyone can afford a $60k car. There's a lot more that can afford the $35k car. There's a lot of opportunity to significantly expand sells

No one is going to pay 35K for a car and add 8K worth of software on top.

A lot of people do, But then again, you don't have to. Heck, there are a number of folks that aren't doing it on the $100,000 cars.

Tax credit whittles down to 1/4th by the time SR rolls out.

Even more reason why it will sell better!!

That 3/4ths would have paid for the better battery so SR doesn’t make any sense.

Any data that you have to back this up?

You probably have about 12 hours to save yourself a lot of future regret. I’d go find an MR or LR immediately.

Taking advantage of the tax credit is a good idea.

Reactions: Scott7
They actually fit together quite well. If you take a look at all of the other EVs, including some of the Teslas with less range, they all do quite well in the snow and cold and all have less range. The range reduction issues that are going on are only new to new users. To previous EV owners, it is something that has been known and managed for years.

It's all relative right? I had range anxiety going up and down Big Bear in a 60D Model X. 75D, no worry. 15KW made all the difference.

Why? They've still got the ability to sell a lot of the $35k cars. Not everyone can afford a $60k car. There's a lot more that can afford the $35k car. There's a lot of opportunity to significantly expand sells

Also relative. Of course it will be appealing to the best that they can make it. They will still want to sell P Model 3s. MR is the offering that an SR buyer should have gotten this month.

A lot of people do, But then again, you don't have to. Heck, there are a number of folks that aren't doing it on the $100,000 cars.

It's fairly obvious that the uptake as a % is going to be much higher for software on higher base cars. I even did a poll 6 months ago that proved the point.

Even more reason why it will sell better!!

Any data that you have to back this up?

Less car for your money. Calculation is fairly straightforward. SR Model 3 is not expected until back half of 2019. That's a 3/4th halving of the original $7,500 tax credit. That amount of loss could have been reduced from 3/4 to 0/4th if one acted today.

I think the impact of cabin heating on range is overstated. On the daily commute yes it is a HUGE energy user. The longer the drive though the lesser impact from initial warmup, better yet jack the interior to 80f while plugged in.

So for actual travel pushing the range limits I really believe the often quoted numbers about range reduction are inaccurate. Yes heat use impacts range, but heat use drops significantly once the pack and interior warm up.

• Love
Reactions: gavine
I would get a MR instead of waiting for SR. The extra range is worth it plus the performance is the same as a LR.

SR will take more stops and longer charge time when traveling long distances. Having the LR made is so much easier to travel to SF from LA compared to a Model S 75D. The range and efficiency cuts down supercharger stops. So if you can afford, I recommend get the highest range possible.

I would get a MR instead of waiting for SR. The extra range is worth it plus the performance is the same as a LR.

SR will take more stops and longer charge time when traveling long distances. Having the LR made is so much easier to travel to SF from LA compared to a Model S 75D. The range and efficiency cuts down supercharger stops. So if you can afford, I recommend get the highest range possible.
MR I not quite the same as LR performance wise. It’s slower to 60 and has a lower top speed. At least it’s adverised that way by Tesla.

Reactions: Scott7