Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What get's downgraded to get to a 35K Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference between the MR+Premium interior and the SR/Basic is:
* Battery size reduction equivalent to that between LR and MR = $3K
* No premium interior (or center glass roof) = $5K

Based on today's pricing, that would be US$44K - $3K - $5K = US$36K

Therefore, as of today, Tesla are just $1K away from a $35K car, should they choose to offer that configuration (SR with basic interior)

I'll project that when the US tax credit drops by $1,750 in July 2019, Tesla will also adjust their prices downward by $800 - $1000, and then you'll have the $35K variant of the Model 3.

No one mentioned this yet. Halogen headlight!

maxresdefault.jpg

The hypothetical "non-PUP" version will have to compete with cheaper cars that have ALL of those normal car features. Tesla does not operate in a market vacuum.
Those normal cars will have to compete by not being an EV. Interested buyers will buy the Tesla despite it lacking power seats. It's of little consequence and certainly not a deal breaker.

Reactions: gavine
Those normal cars will have to compete by not being an EV. Interested buyers will buy the Tesla despite it lacking power seats. It's of little consequence and certainly not a deal breaker.

Our BMW i3 has manual seats. I like manual because they are so fast to adjust. Power is better in many ways (especially memory), but manual isn't all that bad in my opinion.

Reactions: Esquire and YisSerL
The hypothetical "non-PUP" version will have to compete with cheaper cars that have ALL of those normal car features. Tesla does not operate in a market vacuum.
No, not "ALL" of them have power seats. A large number of them do but certainly not all of them. In any case, I'm just going by what Tesla says is included in the PUP and inferring.

Searching the manual for references to the premium package, it looks like the following are all specific to it, there may be more that aren't listed specifically, like the roof and seat material.
  • power adjustable steering wheel
  • auto tilt in reverse mirrors
  • power folding mirrors (so no auto fold either)
  • storage pockets on the back of the front seats
  • heated outside mirrors
  • power seats
  • "signature" DRLs
  • fog lights
  • heated rear seats
  • immersive sound

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Those normal cars will have to compete by not being an EV.
Interested buyers will buy the Tesla despite it lacking power seats.
It's of little consequence and certainly not a deal breaker.

- Even without power seats and power steering adjustment, metal (?) front roof, fog light (?),

and smaller battery size..., the Tesla Model 3 SR at $35k will still be an outstanding car.

- The car will be targeted to commuters or city drivers who don't need a larger range

but still want all the other features, such as Enhanced Auto Pilot, which is great to have

in the case of heavy traffic jam at peak hours, allowing to be able to relax after a busy day.

- Otherwise I don't think that there will be any cost cut on any other components such as a downgraded suspension.

If you look at the $35k GM Bolt base price (not including a $700 DC fast charging option...),

the Bolt's torsion beam rear suspension is quite basic and resembles more to what you would find on a trailer:

8262d3ee4eb9148e0864bce85bf23da8.png

By comparison the Tesla Model 3 provides an outstanding handling,

something easy to understand when looking at the description of the rear suspension:
  • Double wishbone, virtual steer axis front suspension with coil over twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar
  • Independent multi-link rear suspension with twin-tube shock absorbers and stabilizer bar

For additional information, I would recommend reading the following article:

- What are the different types of rear suspension, and which is best?

Multi-link and dual wishbone

Multi-link and dual wishbone systems are the holy grail of suspension designs,
allowing engineers to achieve agile handling without compromising ride quality.

Multi-link and double-wishbone independent setups are the most expensive and complex

Both multi-link and dual-wishbone setups offer true independence and unparalleled control,
with the multi-link system edging ahead of the double-wishbone choice by offering greater adjustability.

Of course, nothing comes for free. Multi-link and double-wishbone independent setups are the most expensive and complex,
as well as taking up more space than the simpler and slighter torsion beam.

I suspect Tesla are not even sure what exactly will be in the $35K version. It might be cheaper to keep the seats electric (like all other Teslas) for ease of manufacture & support along with brand image for an electric car. They have to balance manufacture improvements against inflation, if they wait too long inflation might win. Might have to take a slight loss and count that as marketing/advertising cost.

I suspect Tesla are not even sure what exactly will be in the $35K version. It might be cheaper to keep the seats electric (like all other Teslas) for ease of manufacture & support along with brand image for an electric car. They have to balance manufacture improvements against inflation, if they wait too long inflation might win. Might have to take a slight loss and count that as marketing/advertising cost.

I think a glass roof would be similar from a manual weld process for metal? I agree, a more important question is when to release. My guess is after Q2 19

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
To further reduce cost, maybe we'll get this option instead? o_O
< snipped picture of manual window winder>
That'd suit me very well. Never had a car with power windows and to me the motor in there is just another thing which can fail - as they have on plenty of relatives' cars. My 46-year-old manual window winders, on the other hand, are still working (well, I had to replace one handle because the knob snapped off, but that was 5 minutes work and a ~$20 part).
Also would like manually-adjusted seats, and manual boot and bonnet latches. Oh and a manual door locking mechanism.

What?

No, I am serious!

• Funny
Reactions: YisSerL
I was looking at the Model 3 detailed specification and noticed:

- Premium Connectivity (3 months included):
Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
In-car streaming media
Over-the-air updates via Wi-Fi & cellular

I was thinking that the Premium Connectivity was included for the first year?

View attachment 367200

View attachment 367201

Does that mean if you opt not to pay for premium connectivity 2nd year forward, we will no longer get OTA updates? It said via Wi-Fi & cellular.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Just read somewhere (Jalopnik?) that the Chinese Gigafactory will produce base models only. Maybe that's where the $35k version will be made?

It is my understanding that the $35K version made in China will be for China and Europe. The USA $35K model will be made in Fremont. Higher trim models for the world will be made in Fremont also. It seems the China factory is just going to only make base models and for that part of the world.

Does that mean if you opt not to pay for premium connectivity 2nd year forward, we will no longer get OTA updates? It said via Wi-Fi & cellular.

No...

=============
What are the new connectivity options?

• Standard Connectivity offers basic maps & navigation, music & media over Bluetooth® and software updates over Wi-Fi. Note: Important safety updates will continue to be available over the car’s cellular connection.
  • Premium Connectivity adds satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming music & media, an internet browser (for Model S and Model X) and over-the-air software updates via Wi-Fi and cellular.
=============

The browser is also in the Model 3 as we know.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity