Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What get's downgraded to get to a 35K Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MR I not quite the same as LR performance wise. It’s slower to 60 and has a lower top speed. At least it’s adverised that way by Tesla.

I just saw a YouTube video someone doing 0-60 in a mid range at 5.0 second on wet roads. I haven't timed my LR RWD so I have no idea. I believe both MR and LR RWD does it in 5 seconds 0-60. I'm not sure what's the top speed because people got really mad when I was doing 165mph on the highway in my Supra so I don't really care about top speed anymore. Anything over 120mph is good enough.

Reactions: VT_EE
I just saw a YouTube video someone doing 0-60 in a mid range at 5.0 second on wet roads. I haven't timed my LR RWD so I have no idea. I believe both MR and LR RWD does it in 5 seconds 0-60. I'm not sure what's the top speed because people got really mad when I was doing 165mph on the highway in my Supra so I don't really care about top speed anymore. Anything over 120mph is good enough.

Looks like he may have gotten a bit of gravity assist?

The $35k Model 3 will have an included Wall Phone:

maxresdefault.jpg

Also, Cane seats with optional seatbelt and air bag

a-fiat-jolly-with-wicker-seats-found-on-the-streets-of-paris-france-EANR31.jpg

And also 14" steel wheels and optional $100 matching body color

52b03fea59964-Steel.jpg

or the optional 15" lighter Aero Wheels for $500.

wheels.jpg

Last edited:
Just pricing out a model 3... what would get downgraded?

Consider this rumor only, but it comes from a Tesla source who, to date, has never been incorrect on anything he has shared with me.

He suggests that unlike the rest of the Model 3 series, the $35K base variant will not have a full AP hardware package, but rather the wiring harness, proximity detectors, FLR, and backup camera only. He further speculates that if EAP or FSD are purchased at a later date, the remaining hardware will be an upgrade that can be made by mobile techs.

If this proves accurate, it would be a significant departure from the production model to date and might be a part of why pricing may change on these features. But such a move helps preserve profitability on the base car.

Time will tell if this is accurate or not.

Consider this rumor only, but it comes from a Tesla source who, to date, has never been incorrect on anything he has shared with me.

He suggests that unlike the rest of the Model 3 series, the $35K base variant will not have a full AP hardware package, but rather the wiring harness, proximity detectors, FLR, and backup camera only. He further speculates that if EAP or FSD are purchased at a later date, the remaining hardware will be an upgrade that can be made by mobile techs.

If this proves accurate, it would be a significant departure from the production model to date and might be a part of why pricing may change on these features. But such a move helps preserve profitability on the base car.

That makes perfect sense and is how the other auto makers do it. In order to get blind spot monitor, traffic aware cruise control, rear view cross path detection, etc, you have to buy some package for $4K to get all the sensors and cameras added. For vehicles that don't have the package, you can clearly see the lack of cameras and sensors around the car. For Tesla, why would they put a few K worth of equipment in a car if they may never recoup that money back from a hopeful upgrade down the line.

He suggests that unlike the rest of the Model 3 series, the $35K base variant will not have a full AP hardware package,
but rather the wiring harness, proximity detectors, FLR, and backup camera only.

He further speculates that if EAP or FSD are purchased at a later date,
the remaining hardware will be an upgrade that can be made by mobile techs.

- I really wonder if this will be the case because the cost of video cameras is very low.

The electric adjustment of the steering wheel and seats might not be included.

But sill the electric power steering will be included, because the weight of the car.

Idem with power brake and proximity detection witch are both important active security features.

Backup camera is now mandatory, so how much hardware can be really saved?

The only noticeable difference could be the suppression of the fog lights.

- Well, we could consider that the EAP's CPU motherboard might not be installed but still the car need to have collision avoidance?

- I imagine that the small battery will target city users who don't need an extra range, or use it as a second car.

However EAP makes driving easy and relaxing in cities with heavy traffic, so why penalize those drivers.

The only noticeable difference might be the use of a metallic roof?

- It is possible to speculate that in some emerging markets, there might be some downgraded version

with a less sophisticated suspension, wheels, electric motor, door handles, metallic roof...?

But this starts to complicate the production line, so it could be only the case for a separate production

or assembly line in another country.

Last edited:

What’s his name? Either I am your source or he is taking my ideas! ;)

I’ve mentioned every time it comes up that people are never going to add 8-10K worth of software to a 35K car.

Chances are low it gets done at time of purchase. Chances are next to never it gets put into a credit card post purchase.

After a year of ownership, the software will cost as much as 2/3rds of the vehicle.

No one will slap 10K with a grace period of 30 days and 20% APR when they could have financed it over 60-72 months at approximately 2.5%.

Solution: don’t install expensive computational equipment that will never be paid for.

If it can be easily installed as a FRU post delivery, the 8K will pay for it.

As a joke they can strip the SR down even more by not including the tablet.

It’s bring your own iPad or galaxy. :)

@NeverFollow - others vehicles with AEB probably do it with a low computational power needed.

Some low end SoC takes care of the minimum. Full package either disables the base cpu or runs in parallel with it.