Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if changes are announced after order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm prepared to order a Model X LR but was waiting around to see if anything gets mentioned during the earnings call on 1/29 regarding new batteries, etc.

Can anyone comment on how pending orders handled physical improvements that were announced after the order was placed? Did anyone have an order for an X in 2019 during the transition to the Raven or did they get the older model?

I"m trying to get a feel for how Tesla handles these things. Thanks in advance!

When you order, you will be put into a cue for production and delivery. If running changes are instituted prior to your car going down the line, you usually get the latest and greatest...at no additional charge. On my 2017 X, it was ordered with a smaller tow package and a 70 kWh battery. Running changes resulted in me getting a full sized tow package and a 75 kWh battery. Price was not increased.

Tesla has a policy of continous improvement. As they are instituted, everybody gets the benefits as your car gets produced.

You get what they are shipping at the time your pickup. For better or worse. This means you get the latest and greatest. And that can mean a week after you pickup they make a major upgrade you don't get. For example MCU2 upgrade. Or it can be you get a major upgrade not available at the time your ordered.

For example, I got MCU2 and a different interior color from the one I ordered. So that was a plus,

But had I ordered and picked up 2 months later I would have got a Premium upgrade for free. It was a $3,000 option when I ordered.

Last edited:
They just announced the Model S Long Range Plus (390m range) replacing the Long Range (373m) I have on order and due "1 to 3 weeks" according to my last text. What are the chances I'll get the Long Range Plus? Once announced are the changes already on the factory floor?

It's only 5% more but it would be nice.

They just announced the Model S Long Range Plus (390m range) replacing the Long Range (373m) I have on order and due "1 to 3 weeks" according to my last text. What are the chances I'll get the Long Range Plus? Once announced are the changes already on the factory floor?

It's only 5% more but it would be nice.
Never mind. I read Elon's tweet that it's a software upgrade that will be made available to recent month's A and X vehicles. I'll get it.