Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if new Tesla arrives in unacceptable condition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm aware that direct sales in Texas are not permitted. I've bought dozens of cars over the years both in and out of state, but just ordered my first Tesla last month. What happens if the car is in unacceptable condition when it arrives - are Texas buyers stuck with the purchase or can you simply not accept delivery and the deal is "unwound"?

Reactions: WyoDude
I completely forgot about this thread and it's fun to look back on now. :)

I had ordered in January a month before I started this thread. The original delivery estimate was by the end of March. That date came and went and my delivery date kept slipping. I grew impatient and found my exact build in inventory in Dallas, paid for the vehicle, and had my brother drive me there to pick it up. There were no cosmetic, fit and finish, or functional issues with the vehicle. It did develop two rattles which I fixed myself - one of which was an extra bolt left inside the front passenger door. I've now had the Austin-built Model Y for 5 months and 7,000 miles with no other issues.

My brother-in-law also ordered new Model Y about the same time. He was scheduled to take delivery in Houston, but his delivery date came and went and kept slipping, too. It turns out that his Tesla was delivered to the wrong location in Tyler, but that worked out well in his favor for two reasons: 1) Tyler is much closer to him than Houston and 2) during the delay caused by the misrouting, Tesla lowered the price of the Model Y by $3,000, so he got a refund check!

Give us an update and show us your new Model Y after you take delivery!

Reactions: Bouba
Will do. Got a call this morning stating that the Y was not yet sent to the pick up point from a nearby location and that it would be delayed by 6 hours. Then got a text stating that it's on the way and will be delayed 3 hours. Leaving now, so I'll update the pickup experience.