Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reservation Numbers are RANDOM and have no relevance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of the increasingly numerous CA/TX reservation holders who have received invitations to configure their Cybertruck orders, we've seen none that were not in the 112xxxx range. That suggests that reservation numbers are anything but random.

More likely is that Tesla reservation numbers, issued sequentially, span the range of their products, hence the opaqueness that might sometimes seem to present.

Building a database order system that issued random order numbers would be highly unusual, with no apparent benefit.
I believe the reservation numbers span the Tesla automotive products so they might seem somewhat random.
In August 2021 I placed my order for a Model Y and a CyberTruck and those two reservation numbers were very close together which makes sense based on my previous statement.
As for why the reservation numbers associated with people who opted for the CT Foundation Series being "random", that makes sense too. This is because the Foundation Series was offered to anyone who wanted to pay a premium for an early CT thereby allowing them to jump ahead in the reservation queue regardless of their reservation number. Hence the reservation numbers associated with Foundation Series CyberTrucks will appear to be random - those peeps just paid to jump to the head of the line while the rest of us have to patiently wait in line... like at Disney when you are in line making slow progress thru the waiting area and you round that corner only to realize it is yet another waiting area, and another and another but eventually, like 4 hours later, you make it to the ride... which lasts 90 seconds....

... This is because the Foundation Series was offered to anyone who wanted to pay a premium for an early CT thereby allowing them to jump ahead in the reservation queue regardless of their reservation number ...
Not true.

The vast majority of Cybertruck reservation holders have not yet been offered the opportunity to configure and order a vehicle. The only two cohorts where "anyone" could jump the queue were the Refer-and-Earn points (30,000) offer and the long-term shareholder offer. It doesn't appear that either of those two programs generated enough orders to affect the overall queue very much.

Early deliveries went to Tesla employees and people who have an "in" with senior Tesla management. Normal deliveries from the queue started, roughly, with the earliest reservation holders - 1127xxxx - focused initially on those living in California and Texas. A few weeks in, Florida joined the party. It's only in the last month or so that reservation holders in most other states started getting offers-to-order in any kind of significant numbers.

It appears at this point in mid-April that Tesla has delivered something a bit north of 5k vehicles. Nearly all of them have been 112xxxxx reservation numbers. Tesla only recently began tagging a very few early 113xxxxx holders. The production ramp is moving along, but it's still a slow burn at this point.

All that said, there remain numerous 112xxxxx reservation holders, even in California and Texas, who have yet to be tagged. But it's clear that, roughly speaking, Tesla is moving along the queue. It's hardly random.

Reactions: tmruwart
Not true.

The vast majority of Cybertruck reservation holders have not yet been offered the opportunity to configure and order a vehicle. The only two cohorts where "anyone" could jump the queue were the Refer-and-Earn points (30,000) offer and the long-term shareholder offer. It doesn't appear that either of those two programs generated enough orders to affect the overall queue very much.

Early deliveries went to Tesla employees and people who have an "in" with senior Tesla management. Normal deliveries from the queue started, roughly, with the earliest reservation holders - 1127xxxx - focused initially on those living in California and Texas. A few weeks in, Florida joined the party. It's only in the last month or so that reservation holders in most other states started getting offers-to-order in any kind of significant numbers.

It appears at this point in mid-April that Tesla has delivered something a bit north of 5k vehicles. Nearly all of them have been 112xxxxx reservation numbers. Tesla only recently began tagging a very few early 113xxxxx holders. The production ramp is moving along, but it's still a slow burn at this point.

All that said, there remain numerous 112xxxxx reservation holders, even in California and Texas, who have yet to be tagged. But it's clear that, roughly speaking, Tesla is moving along the queue. It's hardly random.
Thankyou for that clarification. Personally, I am somewhat relieved that my CT is a few years out as that will give me time to figure out how I'm going to tell my wife that I have one on order;^)

Reactions: Regaj
Thankyou for that clarification. Personally, I am somewhat relieved that my CT is a few years out as that will give me time to figure out how I'm going to tell my wife that I have one on order;^)
Roger that!

The other benefit of being a bit further down the line is that any number of early teething issues will be resolved. Trucks a year from now will be noticeably better than the samples being delivered today (there is, in fact a temporary hold on most deliveries right now because of an accelerator pedal issue).