Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if you refuse delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you go and check out the vehicle on the delivery date and find things that just aren't acceptable, what happens if you refuse it? Do you get moved to the bottom of the queue for the next match or does your order get cancelled and you have to start over again? Do you have to justify why?

To me, things like a low VIN #, car refused by someone else, too many fitment issues would be things I would consider reasons to refuse the delivery.

Reactions: CO_MY
You do not get moved to the bottom of the queue (supposedly), and your order just goes back to waiting for a VIN match (supposedly). You can refuse it for any reason, really. That part is simple.

In my case, they seemed to screw things up somehow, and my order date got moved months ahead of when it was originally created, and for two weeks my order seemed to be stuck in "on hold" (since they didn't want it to immediately re-match to the VIN I just rejected, and no one had thought to re-activate the order.)

All that said, it only took about 4.5 weeks between my first refusal, and my appointment to see the next candidate. (which is coming up in about 10 days)

• Informative
Reactions: ScotteZ and CO_MY
All:

I almost refused delivery on my Model Y two weeks ago. The Tysons Corner, VA Tesla location said the only other "local area" match they had was a similar model but $2000 more with the larger wheels. They also wouldn't let me look at the other local one first (it was at a satellite location nearby and supposedly not detailed yet). So they forced me to make a decision on the one I had ordered before looking at the nearby more expensive one. That was actually infuriating.

The only other option was to refuse the vehicle and pay $2000 to have another one re-located to the the area...or at least that's what they told me.

It's *really* hard to buy one of these cars right now...they make you bend over backwards to either turn one down or accept all kinds of fit and finish issues (which I did, having no other car and unable to continue renting one).

R,
Bill

Bill,

i hear your frustration. I was going to order a MYP and the exact one i would have ordered was delivered to the location i was test driving them at AT THAT MOMENT.. i picked it up the following day. was a "must be meant to be?" moment. i am very happy with the MY i purchased and only have a few small concerns I will have addressed when i bring it back for the garage opening module to be installed.

hopefully you are happy with the MY and don't let that linger or dampen the enjoyment. the MY is an amazing vehicle imo.. i fell in love on the test drive and was happy i didn't have to wait 10 weeks for 1 in my spec!!

All:

I almost refused delivery on my Model Y two weeks ago. The Tysons Corner, VA Tesla location said the only other "local area" match they had was a similar model but $2000 more with the larger wheels. They also wouldn't let me look at the other local one first (it was at a satellite location nearby and supposedly not detailed yet). So they forced me to make a decision on the one I had ordered before looking at the nearby more expensive one. That was actually infuriating.

The only other option was to refuse the vehicle and pay $2000 to have another one re-located to the the area...or at least that's what they told me.

It's *really* hard to buy one of these cars right now...they make you bend over backwards to either turn one down or accept all kinds of fit and finish issues (which I did, having no other car and unable to continue renting one).

R,
Bill

UPDATE: Finally got in after 55 days for a Service Appointment. They did manage to fix 90%+ of the issues I'd found over the first two months of ownership. The doors on the Model Y are an issue Tesla's going to have to address. In my case, they did the best they could to get the fronts aligned with the rears, with the rocker panels along the bottom, etc. But it looks like the inner and outer metal framing of the doors, which are welded together, are just not put together to precise tolerance levels...many Model Y's seem to have slightly "bulged" metal door assemblies that are hard to align with everything else. It looks to me that it's always the front door assemblies that are to blame for alignment issues, and not the rears.

UPDATE: Finally got in after 55 days for a Service Appointment. They did manage to fix 90%+ of the issues I'd found over the first two months of ownership. The doors on the Model Y are an issue Tesla's going to have to address. In my case, they did the best they could to get the fronts aligned with the rears, with the rocker panels along the bottom, etc. But it looks like the inner and outer metal framing of the doors, which are welded together, are just not put together to precise tolerance levels...many Model Y's seem to have slightly "bulged" metal door assemblies that are hard to align with everything else. It looks to me that it's always the front door assemblies that are to blame for alignment issues, and not the rears.

I can relate, my MY door has had issues with random clicking noises (was not a check strap issue, that was already replaced 3x) that the mobile techs and SC couldn't identify. Finally I got fed up and requested my SA have a master tech review and and lo and behold, they discovered the aluminum was flexing at the joint where the door hinge is present. This required Tesla to send my vehicle to a 3rd party body shop where they re-enforced the entire door and billed tesla ~6hrs worth of work. Now, no problems.

This thread illustrates why I decided to cancel my Model Y Perf order and get a Model 3 instead. Got a VIN immediately and picking up on Dec 30. I didn’t really need the bigger size of the Y anyway and the Model 3 LR AWD with acceleration boost is basically just as fast as a model y performance but about $11k less. So I’m pretty pumped.