Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens to my Tesla 3 if I leave it in the garage unplugged for 7 months?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am planning to take an extended trip abroad. What is the best way to leave my Tesla 3 in the garage during 7+ months? Should I leave it plugged to the wall charger? Unplugged? Has anybody done this? Your advice is welcome. Thanks!

Thanks! Is there a way to set the charging cycle between 20% and 80%? That is do not charge until battery level falls below 20% and then charge to 80% and let it discharge? at 1% loss per day, that would give 20 days between charges
No, but you can manage that yourself through the app. Set the charge level to your max, let it charge up, and then set the charge level to your minimum. Check back in three weeks later, bump the charge limit back to your max. Rinse, repeat.

Ultimately it won't matter much since Tesla batteries (post Roadster) are able to self-protect by cutting off completely at very low level of charge. Much like hand-held devices with Li-Ion batteries do. My ModelS (with an early 2014 replacement battery) sat unconnected for over two years and then charged up completely like nothing had ever happened*. This is the only such test that I've heard of, nor have I heard anywhere about just where the protection circuitry is located. If it is inside the battery box then it might might throw some doubt about pre-2014 MS batteries being self-protecting.

Roadster batteries are NOT self-protecting and will indeed die a hideous death as the above test also proved. :(

* but you DO have to deal with a totally dead car which also includes a dead 12 volt battery. You may be able to boost-box the 12v back to life enough to allow the car to charge up, or else the 12v will have to be replaced first.
--

Last edited:
Thanks! Is there a way to set the charging cycle between 20% and 80%? That is do not charge until battery level falls below 20% and then charge to 80% and let it discharge? at 1% loss per day, that would give 20 months between charges
That’s not what Tesla says to do. Tesla says to plug it in and set it at 50% for long term storage. Let the battery management system manage the battery.

Do you have the expression RTFM in Portugal?

Op to answer your question on what happens if you leave the car unplugged for 7 months, you would almost assuredly come back to a dead 12 volt battery, so would have to ensure you knew how to get into the car with a dead 12 volt battery, and then likely replace said battery before your car would charge.

On the other hand, you can do exactly what it says to do in the manual, on page 122 of the current manual. Your exact question is covered in the manual, including the "what to do if you are not using your model 3 for several weeks".

Its pretty obvious OP did NOT "RTFM (read the #$!$ manual)" since this exact question is covered as stated, on the page I mentioned above (page 122 in the latest version of the pdf manual).
===================================
About the Battery

Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated
battery systems in the world. The most
important way to preserve the Battery is to
LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when
you are not using it.
This is particularly
important if you are not planning to drive
Model 3 for several weeks.
When plugged in,
Model 3 wakes up when needed to
automatically maintain a charge level that
maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.
Note: When left idle and unplugged, your
vehicle periodically uses energy from the
Battery for system tests and recharging the
12V battery when necessary.
There is no advantage to waiting until the
Battery’s level is low before charging
. In fact,
the Battery performs best when charged
regularly.
Note: If the Model 3 Battery becomes
completely discharged in a situation in which
towing is required, the owner is responsible
for towing expenses. Discharge-related towing
expenses are not covered under the Roadside
Assistance policy.

Thanks! Is there a way to set the charging cycle between 20% and 80%? That is do not charge until battery level falls below 20% and then charge to 80% and let it discharge? at 1% loss per day, that would give 20 months between charges

You don’t want this. Shorter charging cycles are better. I know Elon once said that “70 to 30” is best but that was for someone that literally drove 40% of their battery daily. I asked a few battery experts and the answer is the same, keep it to short top-ups.

That’s not what Tesla says to do. Tesla says to plug it in and set it at 50% for long term storage. Let the battery management system manage the battery.

Do you have the expression RTFM in Portugal?
Oh, yes. We DO. LAMDM would be the best approximation. I would RTFM IF I had the FC in my garage. I have not bought the FC yet :) Deliveries of model 3s are slated to early March 2019 here... However, I have put my 1000 Eur in 18 months ago, so I am now offered the chance to configure mine.

Op to answer your question on what happens if you leave the car unplugged for 7 months, you would almost assuredly come back to a dead 12 volt battery, so would have to ensure you knew how to get into the car with a dead 12 volt battery, and then likely replace said battery before your car would charge.

On the other hand, you can do exactly what it says to do in the manual, on page 122 of the current manual. Your exact question is covered in the manual, including the "what to do if you are not using your model 3 for several weeks".

Its pretty obvious OP did NOT "RTFM (read the #$!$ manual)" since this exact question is covered as stated, on the page I mentioned above (page 122 in the latest version of the pdf manual).
===================================
About the Battery

Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated
battery systems in the world. The most
important way to preserve the Battery is to
LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when
you are not using it.
This is particularly
important if you are not planning to drive
Model 3 for several weeks.
When plugged in,
Model 3 wakes up when needed to
automatically maintain a charge level that
maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.
Note: When left idle and unplugged, your
vehicle periodically uses energy from the
Battery for system tests and recharging the
12V battery when necessary.
There is no advantage to waiting until the
Battery’s level is low before charging
. In fact,
the Battery performs best when charged
regularly.
Note: If the Model 3 Battery becomes
completely discharged in a situation in which
towing is required, the owner is responsible
for towing expenses. Discharge-related towing
expenses are not covered under the Roadside
Assistance policy.

Thanks for taking the time to point this out! I am looking forward to buying the car and RTFM

If it was me I'd leave it plugged in with the charge limit set to 50%.

I'd also set it to charge at the same time every day, and I'd also have it send me a notification of when the charge started.

That way I'd get push notifications every day or so when the charged started so I could keep tabs on it. It's nice to know what my car is doing while I'n not around.

• Informative
Reactions: JorgeJ and PatP