Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens when an OTA update fails...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 Model S 85, it tried to update firmware from 7.0 to 7.1 this evening. It went through the process (I thought) but it didn't apply it, then it tried again and although the firmware now reads 7.1 it is giving me errors that the software needs to be updated and to contact tesla service. It is also now inoperable, the vehicle won't drive or (even worse) charge due to a failed OTA update.

Anyone have ideas on how to go about fixing this issue? (Other than the standard take it to the service center...)

Note; I believe what happened was low 12V battery power, been having nothing but trouble with my 12V so I'm putting extensions on my 12V leads and installing a better 12V solution in the frunk, the Tesla set-up was a horrible design (much better in the D models of course).

I have a 2014 Model S 85, it tried to update firmware from 7.0 to 7.1 this evening. It went through the process (I thought) but it didn't apply it, then it tried again and although the firmware now reads 7.1 it is giving me errors that the software needs to be updated and to contact tesla service. It is also now inoperable, the vehicle won't drive or (even worse) charge due to a failed OTA update.

Anyone have ideas on how to go about fixing this issue? (Other than the standard take it to the service center...)

Note; I believe what happened was low 12V battery power, been having nothing but trouble with my 12V so I'm putting extensions on my 12V leads and installing a better 12V solution in the frunk, the Tesla set-up was a horrible design (much better in the D models of course).

I assume you have called them by now right?

No, what will they do if I call them, push the remote OTA again? I'm actually waiting for the mytesla ownership transfer to complete, so I figure they won't help me anyways since I'm not the name in system, I had that same experience with a previous Tesla, they wouldn't talk to me about the vehicle until they were done processing the transfer, super annoying...

I had an OTA update fail last year on my 2013 P85. The center console wouldn't come back up initially, and I got a error in the dash saying the update failed, contact Tesla. The car still drove. I contacted Tesla and we went through a couple different reset options and got the center console up and running again, but the update still failed. During charging, it would report ludicrous values (such as 245 miles of range per hour of charge, on a 120v 20 amp circuit!), and there were a few other weird things going on, but they assured me the car would be safe to drive.

They tried diagnosing it remotely and pushing the update over again, but it wouldn't take. So, we scheduled a visit to the SC and they replaced the center console. It was handled under warranty.

I had quite a scare this week. I was out of town and an update started at 12:15am but I didn't get back to my car until 12:20. It said it was downloading the update but it ran, so I started home. I stopped at a Supercharger and about 10 minutes into the charge the car locked up completely. Tried a soft and hard reset and nothing would happen. The car was completely locked up and had a message "Software Update Required" in the dash. I called Road Service and they took my VIN then said the update was downloading. About 45 minutes in and should take a total of an hour and a half. And I couldn't drive until it was finished. This was at 1:06am. EEK. So, an Uber to Denny's and at 2:05 I got a message from my app that an update had been installed. Got back to the car and all was well. I was pretty impressed that the service guy could see the progress of my update and was able to tell me that it was installing properly and I just needed to give it time. Pretty cool!

Don't you have to confirm the update to get it started?? At least that is what I have gathered from others. Still waiting on my first MS.

Yes. You have to confirm it. If I recall correctly, you have several choices: update now, update at set time or postpone. While updating, everything turns off. You can open the door but that's about it. So hope you don't need the car. It's like updating your OS on your computer.

Reactions: Alex D
Don't you have to confirm the update to get it started?? At least that is what I have gathered from others. Still waiting on my first MS.
As Fanatic1 suggests, yes, you must physically confirm the update on the 17" display before it begins (it never happens automatically and cannot be accepted via the Tesla App). Even if you elect to start the update immediately, it provides a countdown before it actually begins a couple minutes later. If one reads the pop-up notice with the update, it reminds you that the car will not be drivable while the update is taking place. The Owners Manual is also very specific on this suggesting MS needs to be in Park when the update is being installed. IMHO there are a number of checks and balances in place and you should have no concern over this process, but of course, Tesla and the MS can only attempt to protect owners from their own decisions so far. ;)

Reactions: Alex D
Newbie question: I was notified about a OTA update, accepted it for next time I was charging in my garage (postponed), but then nothing happened. In other words, there was no update the next morning even though she was plugged in and on my wifi. What does it mean? When will it try to update again?

Newbie question: I was notified about a OTA update, accepted it for next time I was charging in my garage (postponed), but then nothing happened. In other words, there was no update the next morning even though she was plugged in and on my wifi. What does it mean? When will it try to update again?
Update was likely pulled due to bugs so you will just get the next one once it gets sent out.

The latest update, 2018.14, was pulled remotely by Tesla, we can only speculate what bug caused them to do that. You'll get another update when Tesla pushes out another update and selects your car again. If anything, postponing the update probably helped you to dodge a bullet with regards to a bug serious enough to halt the rollout.