Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What have you hit with your rear hatch recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is meant to be a funny thread.

Just tonight I forgot that my hitch mounted KUAT bike rack was on the back folded up and went to pick up someone at the airport. Hit the open hatch button on the screen to quickly load their luggage and BAM!

Also opening the hatch into the garage door happens monthly.

Just tonight I forgot that my hitch mounted KUAT bike rack was on the back folded up and went to pick up someone at the airport. Hit the open hatch button on the screen to quickly load their luggage and BAM!

My head.

Got home from the dry cleaner and unbeknownst to me, blood was running down my face.

My garage door it high enough to not hit the hatch on... until I jacked the car up and put it on jack stands to rotate my tires! I already had the hatch open, so while jacking up the car I was jamming the CF spoiler into the garage door. Just a bit of paint transfer onto the carbon fiber, so no real harm... but I really want to build a real shop to work on my car in!

Keith

I really, really, REALLY wish Tesla would add location-based-height to the door memory. I want the maximum height at home (and pretty much everywhere else) but at our in-laws out-of-state we need the door to stop almost a foot lower. The problem with this is it requires bending underneath to get items in & out so I don't want it to remain this height globally. Location-based-height memory for the rear hatch should be relatively simple to add and would be incredibly useful.

You do know you can set the default opening height to suit your garage right? First thing I did when we got the car so no, I have not hit anything with it. https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-3667D28B-5B3B-49CE-A1C1-3D70AC60D9F6.html
You must be short.

Mine is set for the garage at home. Go to Home Depot wearing a baseball cap, can’t see the lid because of the visor, and blam-o!

IMG_1006.gif

Last edited:
I really, really, REALLY wish Tesla would add location-based-height to the door memory. I want the maximum height at home (and pretty much everywhere else) but at our in-laws out-of-state we need the door to stop almost a foot lower. The problem with this is it requires bending underneath to get items in & out so I don't want it to remain this height globally. Location-based-height memory for the rear hatch should be relatively simple to add and would be incredibly useful.
Lamented on that very thing earlier this year. However, it is simple enough to set it at the lowest height you need to, then manually push it higher when needed. It will return to preset height on the next open.

Lamented on that very thing earlier this year. However, it is simple enough to set it at the lowest height you need to, then manually push it higher when needed. It will return to preset height on the next open.
I need it at the lower height a few time a year when we go to the in-law's place. It would be a massive PITA to try to remember to push it up each time and slightly less of a PITA to reset it's height each time we return home... which is what we currently do. None of this negates the fact that location-based-height would solve all of this and should be relatively easy to implement.

Reactions: Fourdoor
You do know you can set the default opening height to suit your garage right? First thing I did when we got the car so no, I have not hit anything with it. https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-3667D28B-5B3B-49CE-A1C1-3D70AC60D9F6.html
oh yeah I did that on delivery day. I walked around, opened the trunk, lowered it to the lowest I think that it won't hit my garage door when opened and set it. accepted delivery, drove home, corrected the height and still managed to bang my head on it at one point or another since I've owned the vehicle. better me than the wife or child.

oh yeah I did that on delivery day. I walked around, opened the trunk, lowered it to the lowest I think that it won't hit my garage door when opened and set it. accepted delivery, drove home, corrected the height and still managed to bang my head on it at one point or another since I've owned the vehicle. better me than the wife or child.
The issue all depends on a combination of the height of your garage door when opened, the opening height you need to set the hatch to and obviously your height. In my case, the only time I could possibly hit my head is if am am backed up against a sidewalk and standing on it with the settings I am using. I am of average height @ 5'9". My wife who is 5'2" has no issue even on a sidewalk.

I need it at the lower height a few time a year when we go to the in-law's place. It would be a massive PITA to try to remember to push it up each time and slightly less of a PITA to reset it's height each time we return home... which is what we currently do. None of this negates the fact that location-based-height would solve all of this and should be relatively easy to implement.

Some perspective: "Massive PITA" is effing up your trunk lid. Pushing it up a bit from an already raised position is a mere inconvenience. I have mine set to the lowest point that I visit. Most times I just deal with the lower height setting and bend a bit to put stuff in. If I'm loading groceries, etc, I push it up more.

IDEA: If you have an iPhone, you can use the reminders app to setup a location based reminder for when you are approaching the in-laws (turn on precise location in reminders settings for this). Make the location somewhere near their house. Call it "approaching in-laws, adjust trunk".... or something to that effect. Make the alert very noticeable.

I read somewhere that the height adjustment setting cannot be computer controlled. It can only be set by the trunk button, so I don't know that it would easy for Tesla to change. Not sure how true that is but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Last edited:
Backed into the garage to charge. Opened hatch from inside car which crashed into a bike rack (I had backed in too far) causing a large-long scratch. Bought the touch up kit but still notice the scratch. Car was only 3 months old.

When I run Light Show the first time in my garage I thought the car would only play a song and flash the lights.
After getting out of the car, I was excited to watch the show. Suddenly I saw the windows rolled up and down and then then hatch flapped up and down too. I desperately wanted to stop the show but did not know what to do. Luckily the hatch did not hit the garage door opener arm.

Last edited:
Reactions: pipestem
I haven't actually hit anything with it yet, but I'm terrified I'm going to tap the wrong icon in the app at some point and open the hatch while it's in the garage, with the garage door shut — meaning it will probably bash into the metal structure on the back of my garage door. The car is parked such that its rear end is only about 6" from the garage door.

So far, nothing! Fingers crossed it doesn't happen. One of the first things I did when I got home with it was to adjust the trunk opening height. My previous car was so old that it didn't have an automatic rear hatch so having one now makes me think of anything it might bump into if I hit the button – it's a fortunate new habit 🤪