Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What I hope Tesla is doing with my data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has often been mentioned in the news about how much on-the-road driving data Tesla has collected from its fleet (or its customers' fleet, more accurately), which presumably gives Tesla a competitive advantage (i.e., toward improving the autonomous driving systems, driver assistance, etc.). However, all the articles that have mentioned this have been pretty vague about what data is being collected, and what Tesla can do with this data. Here's what I am hoping for:
  1. I hope the car notices it and sends both video and other settings to Tesla whenever the car drifts off the road or into the oncoming lane when autopilot is activated, and I have to yank the car back into the lane. Ditto for when I am closely controlling the wheel to prevent it from doing this, and it gives up on autopilot. To be fair, this is usually on hilly, curvy roads, but happened twice on the interstate last week, near an entrance or exit.
  2. I hope the system is collecting accelerometer data to know when customers are driving over curbs and hitting deep potholes, so that Tesla can know if the claims of broken control arms, ball joints, steering knuckles (see several threads related to this in the forums), etc., are really due to bad forgings or due to people abusing the vehicles.
  3. I hope the system is making a note of it when I drive through areas that are not shown as roads on the map, or take nice divided highway routes even when the navi system told me to take the old back road. Sometime it seems like the navi system maps are a couple years old.

Anything that you wish was being collected and used to improve the systems?

1&3 are definitely not happening.

#2 they probably can extract post-factum when you do your claim.

As for what data is actually being collected - almost none.
Every time you put the car in park they send in what classes of roads did you drive on and what percentage of time ACC/AS were available, see example here: Will you buy FSD on your 3 at purchase?

Additionally there are random snapshots that I am not sure are collected anymore or not, my car did not have one triggered since May.

They used to send snapshots when FCW was triggered, but not anymore. As discussed elsewhere, this is probably because they really cannot do anything useful with this data.

1&3 are definitely not happening.

#2 they probably can extract post-factum when you do your claim.

As for what data is actually being collected - almost none.
Every time you put the car in park they send in what classes of roads did you drive on and what percentage of time ACC/AS were available, see example here: Will you buy FSD on your 3 at purchase?

Additionally there are random snapshots that I am not sure are collected anymore or not, my car did not have one triggered since May.

They used to send snapshots when FCW was triggered, but not anymore. As discussed elsewhere, this is probably because they really cannot do anything useful with this data.
Useful info. Based on that, all the claims about Tesla being "far ahead" of other carmakers in preparing for autonomous driving, because of all the data they have collected, must be hype and nonsense. ... Or? ...

Useful info. Based on that, all the claims about Tesla being "far ahead" of other carmakers in preparing for autonomous driving, because of all the data they have collected, must be hype and nonsense. ... Or? ...
Lots of those claims are by misinformed journalists that see the cameras and assume something useful is done with them and because the car is always connected they also assume a lot of it is sent to Tesla.