Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What I think about Urban Superchargers

What’s your preference (design standpoint)?

• Supercharger

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Urban Supercharger

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Old Supercharger (extra)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Destination Charger (extra)

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

The more time goes on, the more we are seeing the new Urban Chargers, Limited to 72 kW. However, I don’t exactly understand why Tesla added this new design to the network, because couldn’t Tesla have just taken the regular Supercharger and limited it to 72 kW? I know one thing that differentiates the Urban chargers and Superchargers, it can be wall mounted, but that is only useful in really tight parking lots like in NY, but that’s all that it changes. The Urban chargers have have a more HPWC look, and the design is nice, but the Supercharger, is, WAY more eye catching, with the lit-up TESLA logo, whereas on the Urban Superchargers just a bland T. Is there actually a strong reason Tesla started putting these all over the place?

Reactions: GreenT
yes but why didn’t Tesla try to make it a bit flashier? It is true that Urbans are a bit cheap, but why don’t they make it look like a real Supercharger.?

Reactions: GreenT
The more time goes on, the more we are seeing the new Urban Chargers, Limited to 72 kW. However, I don’t exactly understand why Tesla added this new design to the network, because couldn’t Tesla have just taken the regular Supercharger and limited it to 72 kW? I know one thing that differentiates the Urban chargers and Superchargers, it can be wall mounted, but that is only useful in really tight parking lots like in NY, but that’s all that it changes. The Urban chargers have have a more HPWC look, and the design is nice, but the Supercharger, is, WAY more eye catching, with the lit-up TESLA logo, whereas on the Urban Superchargers just a bland T. Is there actually a strong reason Tesla started putting these all over the place?

It sounds as if you've answered your won question.
I believe that urban chargers are designed for parking garages and need a little diet to do that. Other chargers are still going up all over the place.
If the location is a place to park, like a garage or a mall, then urban is the answer. If it is in a location that will have travelers, then the higher power Superchargers are the solution.

In some urban areas you may not want to draw attention to it or the expensive cars charging there. It’s the same reason the charge port light doesn’t continue blinking when the car is charging.
But people still know what a Tesla looks like and it draws their attention. What does it change?

Urban chargers serve a different purpose. Urban chargers are for congested areas. I was at the tarrytown supercharger all slots filled (me included) and I was charging at 37kw, that's about half the speed I would have gotten if I was at an urban charger.

Tesla took more than a few design cues from old gas pumps for the superchargers, just like Tesla put that faux grille on the front of the OG Model S. Perhaps Tesla has left that design behind for the urban chargers. Urban chargers are far more compact. Why build superchargers and limit them? The more current, the higher the gauge on the wire. The higher the gauge on the wiring, the more costly it is. Now take that an extrapolate it out to the rest of the components.

Reactions: MarcoRP