Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla Motors' biggest flaw/challenge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well a 2012 BMW 3-series does have 1" more rear headroom, but 1.5" less rear legroom. So it's by no means "much roomier" as this guy says. In the case of rear legroom, it's less roomy than a Model S. So to me he's already lost a bit of credibility.
I agree, that guy is an idiot, 6' 3" is not "normal". Average male height in the US is 5' 9.5" which happens to be my height and Model S (and the Roadster for that matter - I can see the speedometer!) fits just fine.

I agree, that guy is an idiot, 6' 3" is not "normal". Average male height in the US is 5' 9.5" which happens to be my height and Model S (and the Roadster for that matter - I can see the speedometer!) fits just fine.

Not that it will change your opinion of his opinion and that I'm not trying to justify what he said, but "that guy" is currently the CEO of Renault and Nissan and was probably a big reason as to why the Leaf came out. Just saying.

-Shark2k

Remember he is French (and probably not all that versed in English). I think when he says "normal" - he is talking about the girth, rather than the height.

BTW, calling EV advocates idiots is not a very good way to cultivate the blogosphere.

Anyway, to me the take away is that it is not good to show beta cars without the required fit and finish expected in car shows. Tesla should have invested in a couple of car show quality prototypes.

Not that it will change your opinion of his opinion and that I'm not trying to justify what he said, but "that guy" is currently the CEO of Renault and Nissan and was probably a big reason as to why the Leaf came out. Just saying.

-Shark2k

I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about. The guy who wrote that review of the Model S was this guy:
http://www.plugincars.com/user/laurent-j-masson

From this article:
http://www.plugincars.com/carlos-ghosn-undisputed-electric-car-leader-113700.html

See Volker.Berlin's excellent write-up about the Geneva show and his discussions there with Tesla staff, over on the main boards.

Robert.Boston, if you could provide a link that would be helpful. I searched Tesla's forum and was unable to find Volker's post. I'm interested in what he has to say as I find his posts are thoughtful and provide a good perspective from the European point of view.

Robert.Boston, if you could provide a link that would be helpful. I searched Tesla's forum and was unable to find Volker's post. I'm interested in what he has to say as I find his posts are thoughtful and provide a good perspective from the European point of view.
It's HERE, but that thread is a members-only thread. If VB chooses to repost it here, I'll defer to his judgement.

volker, forgive me for nibbling your post, but this has me happy:

Build quality: Steve made a bold point that the 5-series/A6/E-class level of finishing sets the absolutely lower bar for Tesla and they actually are targeting a build quality that comes close to 7-series/A8/S-class levels.

I was honestly worried the interior would disappoint me in the final version. I find the interiors on German sedans to be to my liking and preference, and am glad to hear that's what they're shooting for :)

you're deluding yourself if you think this is the issue... look at the PRODUCTION EV's at the show and then look inside the Model S... as I said before lots of lay people commented on this.

I guess it's more that I don't know what you are talking about. So far you seem to have mentioned only "other cars at the show". And you mentioned a "second issue for me", but I can't figure out what your first issue would be. Was perhaps one of your posts deleted?

EDIT: I found it (from 10 days ago): "lack of understanding of electricity distribution systems outside of the US"

Last edited:
Laurent Masson is one of the consistently worst EV writers I've ever encountered. Take anything he says with a large grain of rock salt.
Nitpicker's corner...

I thought the point of the grain of salt reference was that it should be considered inconsequential. A large grain... well "irregardless." I'll stop there. :)