Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the best way to keep my Tesla #1316 clean and protected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

Couldn't find a thread on this....

Love the Roadster, :biggrin: having a ball :biggrin:, but want to keep it clean and protected.

1. Can't go to the car wash every day-- so when I get it home, I want to wipe off the road crud. Is water and a paper towel okay? Or what should I use? And where do I buy it?

2. long term protection: what should I do (and where do I go) to get protective cover for the paint?

3. When I do go to the car wash: what kind of car wash, if any, and what do I tell them? Brushless? Handwash? I want a clean car, but not scratched paint!
(or don't go to a carwash at all? I am told the TESLA letters on the back can fall off..... !!!)

Thank you!!!

Check out this thread.

But:
1) Do NOT use a paper towel.
2) Tesla sells a cover that is suitable for use while charging. It's pretty soft.
3) Do NOT go to any kind of mechanical car wash. Do not go to a brushless car wash.
Only hand wash.

Did you get the Paint Armor option on your car? I highly recommend it - the car appears designed to throw up gravel and mud up onto the outside door sills. There is only one rubber seal, and it's way inside - there's a lot of visible body outside that seal that gets very dirty. My wife hates that getting out of the car often gets her dirty.

The car is small and quickly washed. Do it yourself if you can.

Many here recommend Zaino, but 've been happy with how Meguair's NXT wax makes the car look. I use Griot's SpeedShine after rinsing the car. Use microfiber towels, turning to new surfaces frequently so you're not rubbing dirt from one area onto another area.

Well I don't have a Roadster, but I've got a 3M Venture Film "clear bra" (I've also heard it referred to as "paint armor") on the nose of my daily driver Infiniti G35C. It absorbs what would otherwise be rock chips, is 100% removable, and looks great from both far away and close up. Also, it doesn't cause uneven wear in the paint if you ever remove it. Cost me about $1200 to do the front of the car. If I could rewind time I'd have done the entire hood, because some rocks are clever and have chipped the paint in my hood further up from where the bra ends.

Many here recommend Zaino, but 've been happy with how Meguair's NXT wax makes the car look. I use Griot's SpeedShine after rinsing the car. Use microfiber towels, turning to new surfaces frequently so you're not rubbing dirt from one area onto another area.[/QUOTE]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you-- My last car was a Toyota Camry with 175,000 miles, so I never cleaned it, until it just keeled over and died one day a few months ago.

This is my first really nice car. I've had it 3 weeks. Want to do this right! I've been reading the manual but it isn't very specific (and now I can't get the darned thing shoved back in under the passenger seat!)

!. No, I didn't get Paint Armour-- I am in New York and planning to drive this as my commuter car-- do I get this done through Tesla? Or what kind of business does this?

2. I agree with your wife about the door sills. What a mess. I am going to tuck some microfiber towels behind the passenger seat, just for this purpose.

3. Meguair's NXT, Griot's Speedshine, and microfiber towels-- looks like I can get these at amazon.

4. Thank you for the link to that thread! That will keep me busy for the next 4 hours!

Thank you for your help!!!

Last edited:
I've been reading the manual but it isn't very specific (and now I can't get the darned thing shoved back in under the passenger seat!)
Not to sidetrack this thread, but the manual won't fit if you square up the hinges at right angles. That makes it too thick to fit. Instead, slide the outer metal covers in opposite directions and then the binding shifts to make the whole manual less thick. It doesn't 'look' right, but it fits.

Initially, I was tempted to keep the manual in the house where it wouldn't get damaged every time it is removed or replaced. But now I've read it enough and just keep it in the car for emergency reading.

Getting the manual shoved back in!

Not to sidetrack this thread, but the manual won't fit if you square up the hinges at right angles. That makes it too thick to fit. Instead, slide the outer metal covers in opposite directions and then the binding shifts to make the whole manual less thick. It doesn't 'look' right, but it fits.

Initially, I was tempted to keep the manual in the house where it wouldn't get damaged every time it is removed or replaced. But now I've read it enough and just keep it in the car for emergency reading.

Thank you!
I'll try it tomorrow.

Hello!

Couldn't find a thread on this....

Love the Roadster, :biggrin: having a ball :biggrin:, but want to keep it clean and protected.

1. Can't go to the car wash every day-- so when I get it home, I want to wipe off the road crud. Is water and a paper towel okay? Or what should I use? And where do I buy it?

2. long term protection: what should I do (and where do I go) to get protective cover for the paint?

3. When I do go to the car wash: what kind of car wash, if any, and what do I tell them? Brushless? Handwash? I want a clean car, but not scratched paint!
(or don't go to a carwash at all? I am told the TESLA letters on the back can fall off..... !!!)

Thank you!!!

Someone asked what is the best way to wash a Tesla?

Anyone who has spent some time on the official forums knows, waterless car wash is the best way to care for a Tesla finish (or any car's finish, for that matter) -- in fact I learned this back in 2013 - two Teslas ago --from the detailers Tesla had working for them.

But it is NOT a widely-known fact that all these manufacturers that are claiming to be "the best" and have "exclusive polymers that lift dirt formulated by our chemists" are actually all different re-branded offerings from the same company that has been making this chemical now (the favorite of high-end detailers) for about 30 years. Some of which may be watered down.

What really matters, more than the waterless car wash you buy, is the actual microfiber towel you use, and the way you care for it.

It's super easy it is (and satisfying) to do it yourself -- and with the waterless, you don't have to do the whole car in one sitting-- you can do a little here, a little there while waiting to pick someone up and it's unintrusive. But if you have a high-dirt situation, you can hose it off then add the waterless like regular car soap.

These are the best products I've found - by Tesla Owners & for Tesla Owners (same formula that was used at my Tesla Service Center--fully concentrated):

Best Car Wash For Tesla - TeslaChick "Water-Optional" Wash

Interesting thread (hadn't seen it before). I ended up with some Meguiar's "Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere" no-water car wash. It says it contains "Advanced polymer chemistry"... Is this essentially the same stuff?

I use it as kind of a spray-on wax after first washing the car the conventional (two bucket) way. Seems to work pretty well, but I don't have much experience with such products to compare with.

For washing I use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax. I live in Southern CA so water usage is important. This stuff is easy. I use it in my garage and its really good. I would recommend it no matter where you live. Only negative Ive found is excessive amounts of bugs or tar need special treatment as they would with other car wash products. Car protectors are a whole other issue. This site and others are full of recommendations and reviews you should check out.

With respect to clear coat swirls, this car is not fun. The clear seems to be quite soft (possible due to carbon F panels) and is very susceptible to swirls if you are not careful.

What I have done so far:

- Paint correction
- XPEL Ultimate clear wrap: front end, rockers, mirrors.
- Opticoat Pro Plus ceramic coat (silicon carbide with a crosslinked polymer): amazing... really amazing
- Always wash 2 bucket, plenty of microfiber
- Avoid drying as much as possible (run water from hose to stream and not bead at the end or dry with a blower)
- Never allow service or a standard (non detailing) hand wash establishment to wash your car, better to keep it dirty

Highly recommend paint correction / Opticoat application is: Signature Detailing in NJ (Greg)
Highly recommend for XPEL wrap is: Leeberb's (Lee) in NJ and Fl

Reactions: nsxpert
With respect to clear coat swirls, this car is not fun. The clear seems to be quite soft (possible due to carbon F panels) and is very susceptible to swirls if you are not careful.

What I have done so far:

- Paint correction
- XPEL Ultimate clear wrap: front end, rockers, mirrors.
- Opticoat Pro Plus ceramic coat (silicon carbide with a crosslinked polymer): amazing... really amazing
- Always wash 2 bucket, plenty of microfiber
- Avoid drying as much as possible (run water from hose to stream and not bead at the end or dry with a blower)
- Never allow service or a standard (non detailing) hand wash establishment to wash your car, better to keep it dirty

Highly recommend paint correction / Opticoat application is: Signature Detailing in NJ (Greg)
Highly recommend for XPEL wrap is: Leeberb's (Lee) in NJ and Fl

--> and of course, never, ever, ever, ever go through an automatic car wash... I thought that would go without saying, but just in case :)