TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is the best way to keep my Tesla #1316 clean and protected?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by RoadsterWarrior, Jun 18, 2011.

1. RoadsterWarrior

Hello!

Couldn't find a thread on this....

Love the Roadster, :biggrin: having a ball :biggrin:, but want to keep it clean and protected.

1. Can't go to the car wash every day-- so when I get it home, I want to wipe off the road crud. Is water and a paper towel okay? Or what should I use? And where do I buy it?

2. long term protection: what should I do (and where do I go) to get protective cover for the paint?

3. When I do go to the car wash: what kind of car wash, if any, and what do I tell them? Brushless? Handwash? I want a clean car, but not scratched paint!
    (or don't go to a carwash at all? I am told the TESLA letters on the back can fall off..... !!!)

Thank you!!!

2. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Check out this thread.

But:
    1) Do NOT use a paper towel.
    2) Tesla sells a cover that is suitable for use while charging. It's pretty soft.
    3) Do NOT go to any kind of mechanical car wash. Do not go to a brushless car wash.
    Only hand wash.

Did you get the Paint Armor option on your car? I highly recommend it - the car appears designed to throw up gravel and mud up onto the outside door sills. There is only one rubber seal, and it's way inside - there's a lot of visible body outside that seal that gets very dirty. My wife hates that getting out of the car often gets her dirty.

The car is small and quickly washed. Do it yourself if you can.

Many here recommend Zaino, but 've been happy with how Meguair's NXT wax makes the car look. I use Griot's SpeedShine after rinsing the car. Use microfiber towels, turning to new surfaces frequently so you're not rubbing dirt from one area onto another area.

3. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

Well I don't have a Roadster, but I've got a 3M Venture Film "clear bra" (I've also heard it referred to as "paint armor") on the nose of my daily driver Infiniti G35C. It absorbs what would otherwise be rock chips, is 100% removable, and looks great from both far away and close up. Also, it doesn't cause uneven wear in the paint if you ever remove it. Cost me about $1200 to do the front of the car. If I could rewind time I'd have done the entire hood, because some rocks are clever and have chipped the paint in my hood further up from where the bra ends.

4. RoadsterWarrior

#4 RoadsterWarrior, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
    Many here recommend Zaino, but 've been happy with how Meguair's NXT wax makes the car look. I use Griot's SpeedShine after rinsing the car. Use microfiber towels, turning to new surfaces frequently so you're not rubbing dirt from one area onto another area.[/QUOTE]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you-- My last car was a Toyota Camry with 175,000 miles, so I never cleaned it, until it just keeled over and died one day a few months ago.

This is my first really nice car. I've had it 3 weeks. Want to do this right! I've been reading the manual but it isn't very specific (and now I can't get the darned thing shoved back in under the passenger seat!)

!. No, I didn't get Paint Armour-- I am in New York and planning to drive this as my commuter car-- do I get this done through Tesla? Or what kind of business does this?

2. I agree with your wife about the door sills. What a mess. I am going to tuck some microfiber towels behind the passenger seat, just for this purpose.

3. Meguair's NXT, Griot's Speedshine, and microfiber towels-- looks like I can get these at amazon.

4. Thank you for the link to that thread! That will keep me busy for the next 4 hours!

Thank you for your help!!!

5. S-2000 Roadster

Not to sidetrack this thread, but the manual won't fit if you square up the hinges at right angles. That makes it too thick to fit. Instead, slide the outer metal covers in opposite directions and then the binding shifts to make the whole manual less thick. It doesn't 'look' right, but it fits.

Initially, I was tempted to keep the manual in the house where it wouldn't get damaged every time it is removed or replaced. But now I've read it enough and just keep it in the car for emergency reading.

6. RoadsterWarrior

Getting the manual shoved back in!

Thank you!
    I'll try it tomorrow.