Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what is the bhp or kW of the 2023 long range model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trading in my 2019 model 3 for a new long range model 3. No performance upgrade. Direct line wants to know if it is 302 bhp or 469 bhp. The figures I have been able to find are neither of these. The Tesla website does not seem to quote bhp or kW. What is the official figure please?

Insurance companies have real issues getting this right, check out the MY RWD insurance thread, where they seem to think that has about 600bhp🤣

But it doesn’t help that Tesla don’t provide figures other than on the V5. My MYLR is listed as 378kw (507bhp) but I’m sure this is the maximum power (when acceleration boost is added) and it’s actually 434bhp in standard guise. I’m betting the insurance bandits use the higher figure when making up their risk formulas.

If you are to believe the internet, this comes out to approx 491 HP. I don't know the conversion for bhp but I would be the higher of the two.
1675968330896.png

Insurance companies have real issues getting this right, check out the MY RWD insurance thread, where they seem to think that has about 600bhp🤣

But it doesn’t help that Tesla don’t provide figures other than on the V5. My MYLR is listed as 378kw (507bhp) but I’m sure this is the maximum power (when acceleration boost is added) and it’s actually 434bhp in standard guise. I’m betting the insurance bandits use the higher figure when making up their risk formulas.

There's a good amount of laziness and incompetence in insurance companies for sure, but also a big factor in this is the non-standard and inconsistent way manufacturers are giving specs of EVs, especially Tesla! Fact is a lot of traditional databases on old legacy systems simply aren't setup to deal with, for example, dual motors - two engines!! Or the practice of motor maximum kW ratings being quoted when that may or may not be how much power is actually output by the vehicle, particularly in the case of multi-motor setups.

So it's not just insurance companies - we see this in car spec databases, good old Wiki, and even government databases all having nonsense specs for EV power. I don't know how UK V5's are, but the equivalent in Norway has my M3 LR down as 158 kW (210 bhp)! Which I believe is just the rating of the front motor, but then I've also seen different figures for that! There's some other field specifically for motor power, but that says 65 kW???

You often see a figure just about 500 bhp for M3 LR and P which seems possibly about right for combined motor rating, but at least the LR doesn't actually use all that. It's a total mess!

At the end of the day the insurance companies need to sort out their *sugar*! There aren't different versions of a new M3LR (you can't spec acceleration boost from new) so an insurance company shouldn't be asking you to pick one! Even if they are distinguishing between ones with and without acceleration boost for premium purposes, those numbers are not the correct numbers!

This is the original poster person. Thanks. Yes, I agree insurance companies are lazy and just want to tick boxes, and of course they should know what the bhp is for an unmodified vehicle.

From your posts it seems that it can't be 302 and so it must be 469 and since there are only two boxes to tick in their world I guess I will have to pay an extra £18.52 to make sure I am not penalised in the event of a claim.