Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the latest spec for partitioning multi-use SSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the bandwidth assessment. Are you saying that the USB used for dashcam is only USB 2?
From the owner's manual usb drive requirements:

• A sustained write speed of at least 4 MB/s
  • USB 2.0 compatible. If using a USB 3.0 drive, it must also support USB 2.0.
From this I conclude that Teslas only supports usb 2.0. It's plenty fast enough for the sustained write speed they require.

In that case, a fast USB 3 flash probably won't help much. I did enable the center console data, but I think it's USB 2, and scanning thousands of tracks does take some time and does not seem to be any faster than the USB hub in my glovebox.
I agree. Thanks for the confirmation!

The delay I experience is when I get into the car after it's been sleeping, usually overnight or after a few days. Even though my previous source was USB, the car would switch to Spotify and start playing from what I had going at home. The USB source is not even available. After some time, I see the USB becomes available and I can switch back to it as a source. If the car is awake, it's not a problem. For example, I open the trunk or frunk to load something, mill around, then get in the car to drive away, the USB source is right there. Also, you're right, if I freshly plug in a USB while the car is awake, it immediately starts scanning the drive. However, with a few thousand tracks, it still takes some time.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't have any ideas for improving the situation other than the obvious one of waking up the car first.

Good points. I think distributing the music across multiple drives might help. Thanks for the in-depth discussion. I appreciate all the information!
The bottleneck is the usb bus. It's possible the center console and the glovebox are on separate buses. Putting multiple devices on the same bus won't help and will probably slow things down. If the car is recording video to the TeslaCam device in the glove box then having your music device in the center console might speed up the song scanning.

Thanks for the conversation!

Reactions: saj070 and snovvman
Circling back on some testing results:

I was using a 128GB Lexar Jumpdrive for music. It's rated at 250Mb/s read, formatted exFAT. The speed was confirmed by Amazon user tests and my own testing. The drive would take about 10-15 seconds to mount.

I then tried a 256GB Samsung Fit Plus rated at 400Mb/s read. Same number of files, same exFAT. It mounted in less than 5 seconds each time.

Since USB-2 supports up to about 480 Mb/s, the faster flash obviously made a difference in a Tesla.

Yes, perhaps it is a "no, duh" finding, but it confirms for me that a faster flash makes a big difference.

///

Edit: On second thought, my math could be wrong.

Correction: USB flash speed is shown as MB/s, megabytes per second.
USB 2 is 480 Mb/s, megabits per second, which, without overhead, is 60 megabytes per second.

Why the Fit Plus is consistently faster to mount when compared to the Lexar is beyond me.