Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the latest spec for partitioning multi-use SSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My research resulted in conflicting information so I would like to get clarifications.

1) For dashcam and Sentry, many older posts say that FAT32 is required. I've also read recent posts, including Tesla's default format to be exFAT. Does this mean that FAT32 is no longer required for dashcam and Sentry?

2) Is three partition still required? Dashcam/Sentry, music/boombox, and lightshow? Does lightshow still need its own partition?

3) If #2 is true, does lightshow still need to be FAT32, or will exFAT work too?

Thanks.

Edit: When I look at the Tesla-formatted flash, I see only one partition with TeslaCam. There was no Lightshow folder and no second partition. Why is this and how does Lightshow work?

Last edited:

Thanks for your reply. I think I get it now--the default lightshow that was a part of the update does not use the flashdrive. It's only the custom lightshows that require the separate partition.

However, as I read the article you linked--"Tesla specifies that the drive cannot have a base-level TeslaCam folder", why can't one simply put the lightshow folder in the same partition as the music and boombox? Why do most instructions specify 3 partitions?

Thanks for your reply. I think I get it now--the default lightshow that was a part of the update does not use the flashdrive. It's only the custom lightshows that require the separate partition.

However, as I read the article you linked--"Tesla specifies that the drive cannot have a base-level TeslaCam folder", why can't one simply put the lightshow folder in the same partition as the music and boombox? Why do most instructions specify 3 partitions?
Don’t know, it doesn't really make sense to me why the TeslaCam requires a separate partition when it already requires a folder. So my guess is that one, or multiple, programmers were high when coding and decided to make redundant requirements to make things work.

Reactions: snovvman
Don’t know, it doesn't really make sense to me why the TeslaCam requires a separate partition when it already requires a folder. So my guess is that one, or multiple, programmers were high when coding and decided to make redundant requirements to make things work.

I explained why I think TeslaCam has its own partition in another thread:
Good question. My guess is they currently unmount the TeslaCam partition when you disable TeslaCam. This makes it safe to remove the device. There is no separate "safe removal" button. Of course, this would interfere with playing music or a light show on that same partition. The light show and music are read-only (and probably mounted as such) so I think it's always safe to remove their devices. But if they shared a partition with TeslaCam, they couldn't be mounted read-only which makes removal without unmounting less safe.

This scheme makes sense for keeping things simple and problem free. They have millions of cars in the fleet. Unlikely edge cases will probably show up for some people. I don't think having separate partitions on the same device provides a significant improvement in I/O performance.

OTOH, I don't know why light shows and music can't share a partition. Or why I can't have more than one light show. It's possible they have a "locked down and compartmentalized" mindset since they need to be very careful to prevent black hats from being able to take control of the cars. When they started working on the light show feature, that group was probably given their own partition so the other groups didn't have to worry about it.

My only problem with this my music never statts from where I left it

I have 2 partition one for Teslacam and the other music

No matter what I do when I switch from Bluetooth spotify to music folder usb it does not remember which is insane

No matter what I do when I switch from Bluetooth spotify to music folder usb it does not remember which is insane
The trick is to use the voice command "Switch to usb". If you use the touchscreen to switch then it will lose its place and the voice command won't help. IIRC you need to use that exact wording. Kudos to whoever figured this out.

You may have answered my question in another thread. Are you saying that even with dashcam/Sentry and music on the same drive (different partitions), after the car sleeps, it still takes some time for the music partition to mount (and therefore it switches sources and does not resume from previous location)?

I was hoping that if I put the music partition on the same drive as the dashcam partition, it will mount faster because the dashcam becomes available right away. I guess not.

The trick is to use the voice command "Switch to usb". If you use the touchscreen to switch then it will lose its place and the voice command won't help. IIRC you need to use that exact wording. Kudos to whoever figured this out.

Good tip, I'll try it. Still wish that the music partition mounts faster. Btw I saw a YT video where the guy uses "Play music from USB" and it works too.

Reactions: BitJam and saj070
Thanks, I'll try it. I'm going to use a M.2 drive with a USB housing.
Be careful. M.2 ssd devices are often built for speed and thus draw more power than the Tesla can provide. I've been using Samsung usb sticks and they seem to work fine. I recently switched to a Samsung Endurance Pro sdcard for sentry in the glovebox combined with a Samsung reader/usb adapter. These are even slower than the usb sticks but they draw much less power (creating less heat) and last forever. Well, they're rated to survive 16 years of continuous recording which corresponds to over 5 million miles at 30 mph. Since the Spring 2022 bug was fixed I've never had a problem with any of these devices mounting slowly.

I use gpt partitioning and exFAT file systems. I had been using ext4 but I found that I am better able to undelete on exFAT. I still want to test the ext4magic tool. Using undelete on the TeslaCam device gives you hour and hours of extra footage. Normally only the last hour is saved. There are several threads here where undelete saved people's bacon.

I wish Tesla would add time/date stamps directly in the videos. This would make searching through thousands of undeleted files easier.

Be careful. M.2 ssd devices are often built for speed and thus draw more power than the Tesla can provide. I've been using Samsung usb sticks and they seem to work fine. I recently switched to a Samsung Endurance Pro sdcard for sentry in the glovebox combined with a Samsung reader/usb adapter. These are even slower than the usb sticks but they draw much less power (creating less heat) and last forever. Well, they're rated to survive 16 years of continuous recording which corresponds to over 5 million miles at 30 mph. Since the Spring 2022 bug was fixed I've never had a problem with any of these devices mounting slowly.

I use gpt partitioning and exFAT file systems. I had been using ext4 but I found that I am better able to undelete on exFAT. I still want to test the ext4magic tool. Using undelete on the TeslaCam device gives you hour and hours of extra footage. Normally only the last hour is saved. There are several threads here where undelete saved people's bacon.

I wish Tesla would add time/date stamps directly in the videos. This would make searching through thousands of undeleted files easier.

Thanks for sharing all the insights. The undelete tip is excellent! Are you using the Endurance MicroSD for only dashcam/Sentry or also for music? If also for music, are you saying that the music partition mounts quickly?

Thanks for sharing all the insights. The undelete tip is excellent! Are you using the Endurance MicroSD for only dashcam/Sentry or also for music? If also for music, are you saying that the music partition mounts quickly?
I'm only using the sdcard for sentry. I could try one for music if you would like. Oh yes. I always have at least one spare dashcam/sentry storage device. The plan is that if an incident happens and I remember then I will turn off the dashcam, remove the device and then put in a spare. This means mucking about with undelete is plan B.

I had many years experience working with usb storage devices while developing a fast booting version of Linux that runs from usb sticks. IMO the speed of the devices we're discussing will have almost no impact on the time it takes to mount. OTOH the speed of the device may be an issue if you have many thousands of songs because the car needs to scan them all to get title, artist, etc info.

The read speed of the Samsung bar that Tesla provides is 3 times faster than the Samsung Endurance Pro sdcard. The amount of information needed to mount a file system is so small that this won't make a difference. If you have a lot of music then the bar will theoretically scan it all faster. But Tesla says they only support usb-2 which is 10 times slower than usb-3 so faster usb-3 device won't help you. The Endurance Pro should max out the bandwidth of the Tesla usb port (assuming I did my conversions correctly). Perhaps the best thing you can do for speed is to enable the center console data feature so dashcam and music aren't sharing the same device/port.

Maybe you've explained it already, but could you describe the delay you're experiencing? For me, the music device seems to mount very quickly. But this is after the car is already awake, usually due to enabling climate control from my phone. When I unplug and replug the music device I'm surprised by how fast the usb music UI pops up.

When I first tried usb music I copied my entire collection to a usb stick which was a big mistake because the UI is so terrible. I now limit myself to well under 1,000 songs. If you have a lot of songs then there may be a delay while the car reads them all to get the artist, etc information. I organize my songs by folders and file names (2000s or earlier technology). This allows me to control the organization and even create crude playlists. I try to make it so each folder level mostly fits on the screen so I don't need to do a lot of scrolling.

You can use multiple usb music devices. At the top level the car will ask you which one you want to use (at least in folder/file mode).

[Sorry this is so long and partially redundant. I'm typing past my bedtime.]

My research resulted in conflicting information so I would like to get clarifications.

1) For dashcam and Sentry, many older posts say that FAT32 is required. I've also read recent posts, including Tesla's default format to be exFAT. Does this mean that FAT32 is no longer required for dashcam and Sentry?

2) Is three partition still required? Dashcam/Sentry, music/boombox, and lightshow? Does lightshow still need its own partition?

3) If #2 is true, does lightshow still need to be FAT32, or will exFAT work too?

Thanks.

Edit: When I look at the Tesla-formatted flash, I see only one partition with TeslaCam. There was no Lightshow folder and no second partition. Why is this and how does Lightshow work?

From the manual:
"Format the USB drive as exFAT, MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4 (NTFS is currently not supported)."

I have mine formatted as ext4 for music and dashcam/sentry. (I've never used boombox or lightshow).

I'm only using the sdcard for sentry. I could try one for music if you would like. Oh yes. I always have at least one spare dashcam/sentry storage device. The plan is that if an incident happens and I remember then I will turn off the dashcam, remove the device and then put in a spare. This means mucking about with undelete is plan B.

This is a great idea--to have a spare. I will do the same. I found a few desktop video viewers, so I will just undelete and archive them as necessary. Regarding trying the music partition, only if you are willing and have the time to try it. No pressure at all!

I had many years experience working with usb storage devices while developing a fast booting version of Linux that runs from usb sticks. IMO the speed of the devices we're discussing will have almost no impact on the time it takes to mount. OTOH the speed of the device may be an issue if you have many thousands of songs because the car needs to scan them all to get title, artist, etc info.

The read speed of the Samsung bar that Tesla provides is 3 times faster than the Samsung Endurance Pro sdcard. The amount of information needed to mount a file system is so small that this won't make a difference. If you have a lot of music then the bar will theoretically scan it all faster. But Tesla says they only support usb-2 which is 10 times slower than usb-3 so faster usb-3 device won't help you. The Endurance Pro should max out the bandwidth of the Tesla usb port (assuming I did my conversions correctly). Perhaps the best thing you can do for speed is to enable the center console data feature so dashcam and music aren't sharing the same device/port.

I agree with the bandwidth assessment. Are you saying that the USB used for dashcam is only USB 2? In that case, a fast USB 3 flash probably won't help much. I did enable the center console data, but I think it's USB 2, and scanning thousands of tracks does take some time and does not seem to be any faster than the USB hub in my glovebox.

Maybe you've explained it already, but could you describe the delay you're experiencing? For me, the music device seems to mount very quickly. But this is after the car is already awake, usually due to enabling climate control from my phone. When I unplug and replug the music device I'm surprised by how fast the usb music UI pops up.

The delay I experience is when I get into the car after it's been sleeping, usually overnight or after a few days. Even though my previous source was USB, the car would switch to Spotify and start playing from what I had going at home. The USB source is not even available. After some time, I see the USB becomes available and I can switch back to it as a source. If the car is awake, it's not a problem. For example, I open the trunk or frunk to load something, mill around, then get in the car to drive away, the USB source is right there. Also, you're right, if I freshly plug in a USB while the car is awake, it immediately starts scanning the drive. However, with a few thousand tracks, it still takes some time.

When I first tried usb music I copied my entire collection to a usb stick which was a big mistake because the UI is so terrible. I now limit myself to well under 1,000 songs. If you have a lot of songs then there may be a delay while the car reads them all to get the artist, etc information. I organize my songs by folders and file names (2000s or earlier technology). This allows me to control the organization and even create crude playlists. I try to make it so each folder level mostly fits on the screen so I don't need to do a lot of scrolling.

You can use multiple usb music devices. At the top level the car will ask you which one you want to use (at least in folder/file mode).

Good points. I think distributing the music across multiple drives might help. Thanks for the in-depth discussion. I appreciate all the information!

Last edited:
Reactions: BitJam
All my music in my iTunes library is Apple Lossless, is it still a fact that Tesla won't recognize aka play Lossless music files? At least that's what happened back in 2020 when I added a music partition to my Samsung T5 SSD.
AFAIK, you still need to convert to .flac. You may want to keep some .alac files on a music usb so you can be one of the first to know when that format is supported. I would not hold my breath. The Free and Open Source Software community has not flocked to or rallied around the once proprietary ALAC format although there are some implementations available. In a sane world Apple would simply support FLAC but, alas, silly file format wars continue.