Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For you who use a single drive for dashcam/Sentry and music, how fast does the music partition mount?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a two-flash setup--one for dashcam/Sentry and one for music, I've read enough to know that once the car goes to sleep, the default music source does not return to USB because it takes time for the USB to mount. If Sentry is on, then it's not a problem because the USB ports remain powered.

I also know that the dashcam/Sentry USB port in the glove box is able to mount the dashcam/Sentry drive almost immediately because dashcam is available as soon as I get in and start driving.

Question is if I put a music partition on the same drive as dashcam/Sentry, will it mount faster, and possibly keep the USB as the music source even after sleep?

Thanks.

No it does not work like that
You have to partion

Teslacam
Music

I dont have a problem loading with ssd drive it instant only problem music never starts where left off

I get the separate partition thing. I was hoping that with a single drive that is plugged into the port used for dashcam, a music partiion on the same drive will get priority and mount faster so the car won't switch sources and loses its place. I guess there is a voice command that works to pick up where it left off, but I still have to wait for the music partition to mount after the car sleeps.

I get the separate partition thing. I was hoping that with a single drive that is plugged into the port used for dashcam, a music partiion on the same drive will get priority and mount faster so the car won't switch sources and loses its place. I guess there is a voice command that works to pick up where it left off, but I still have to wait for the music partition to mount after the car sleeps.
Are you using SSD or just USB A?

If you use SSD it is instant

Are you using SSD or just USB A?

If you use SSD it is instant

I am currently using a seperate flash drive for music, Samsung Fit 400Mb read, but it still takes some time to mount. My theory is that the dashcam port is faster and gets higher priority, which is why I am thinking about going that route. If I do, I am going to do NVME M.2.

I can tell you this, I have a single SSD (Samsung T7 2 TB), with 3 partitions (TeslaCam/music/lightshow).

Most of the time, it will resume playback from the USB without issue... except for roughly once a day.

If you're thinking it's because of sleep... well, it has occurred in between my deliveries, not at the start of the day (assuming that it sleeps while LV1 charging at home at night).

Initially, it was roughly at the start of the day, when I unplug the charging cable and get in, I'd notice the music wasn't playing and would have to select it. But after each day, it would seem to later in the day when it would "forget" about playing USB and I would have to select it. After I get to work, then after a few deliveries. It's like 24+ hours to cycle.

So I have no idea what is triggering this.

Reactions: snovvman
I'm using a Raspberry Pi in the glovebox to provide storage for dashcam/sentry and for music via teslausb - it pretends to be multiple USB drives

It takes around 30 seconds for the Pi to boot up and the drives being available, which means the music doesn't instantly resume

But I found that by using the voice command "switch USB" it will start playing from the USB device where it left off.

Most of the time, it will resume playback from the USB without issue... except for roughly once a day.

If you're thinking it's because of sleep... well, it has occurred in between my deliveries, not at the start of the day (assuming that it sleeps while LV1 charging at home at night).

Initially, it was roughly at the start of the day, when I unplug the charging cable and get in, I'd notice the music wasn't playing and would have to select it. But after each day, it would seem to later in the day when it would "forget" about playing USB and I would have to select it. After I get to work, then after a few deliveries. It's like 24+ hours to cycle.

This is interesting. I thought it was sleep-related and the time that it takes to mount the music USB. Now it just sounds like a bug. I wouldn't be surprised. At the same time, doesn't the car stay awake while charging? Also, if Sentry is on, the USB power stays on too, which means the flash stays connected.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi in the glovebox to provide storage for dashcam/sentry and for music via teslausb - it pretends to be multiple USB drives

It takes around 30 seconds for the Pi to boot up and the drives being available, which means the music doesn't instantly resume

But I found that by using the voice command "switch USB" it will start playing from the USB device where it left off.

I was thinking about using RPi too, with the main feature to be able to view recorded videos wirelessly. I decided against it because of the extra point of failure and boot time. I was even thinking about using a powerbank to keep RPi running when the car is a sleep, but the powerbank simply can't supply enough power if the car is parked for a few days.

I was even thinking about using a powerbank to keep RPi running when the car is a sleep, but the powerbank simply can't supply enough power if the car is parked for a few days.
Why do you need to keep the Pi running when the car is asleep?

If you're got sentry on then the car will keep the USB powered anyway. If you don't have sentry on, why not let the Pi power down too?