Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the minimum load index you can have for the MY? Is 100 too low?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to find out if a load index of 100 is too low? Looking at the tire load limit of 1764 lbs, theoretically it should be more than enough for the MY but I see a lot of posts saying you can't go below 104. Why is that?

18" Aero wheels and Model Y load limits

FWIW, the Pirelli P-Zero on the fronts of a MYP are 98W
Thanks for that link! I have to admit I'm still a bit confused but it definitely illustrated what considerations should taken when considering wheels and I assume tires.

If the gross vehicle weight is ~5300 lbs, then I would think a tire with load index of 1764 lbs would be more than enough? Obviously assuming no towing.

"If the gross vehicle weight is ~5300 lbs, then I would think a tire with load index of 1764 lbs would be more than enough? Obviously assuming no towing."

The car only weighs 4400 pounds (of course that's with no gas):D. So, you've can carry about 900 pounds worth of people and gear. Subtract about tongue weight if you are going to tow,

"If the gross vehicle weight is ~5300 lbs, then I would think a tire with load index of 1764 lbs would be more than enough? Obviously assuming no towing."

The car only weighs 4400 pounds (of course that's with no gas):D. So, you've can carry about 900 pounds worth of people and gear. Subtract about tongue weight if you are going to tow,
If the load index for each tire is 1764 lbs, couldn't they technically handle up to 7056 lbs total? If the car is only ~4400 then there really is no way I could load enough gear into the car to make it exceed the load index for the tires? Unless I'm misunderstanding how the load index works.

I'm not entirely sure how load ratings work either, but as mentioned before, you have to think of axle loading and you might want to think about the load/pressure relationship. Load is lower with lower inflation pressures, I could simply be that manufactures spec tires with a load limit well above what is required so that if someone is driving on a tire that has 10 psi less pressure than it should it still is within a safe load rating, even if the vehicle is fully loaded. Or it could be some other reason... would be nice to have a specific answer...

I'm not entirely sure how load ratings work either, but as mentioned before, you have to think of axle loading and you might want to think about the load/pressure relationship. Load is lower with lower inflation pressures, I could simply be that manufactures spec tires with a load limit well above what is required so that if someone is driving on a tire that has 10 psi less pressure than it should it still is within a safe load rating, even if the vehicle is fully loaded. Or it could be some other reason... would be nice to have a specific answer...
Yeah. I'd like to know because finding 104 load index tires is harder than 100 load index tires.

04F4A62B-8453-4C77-9CAB-7FC036576621.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: kadify