Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the real driving range delta between 19" and 21"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently (begin of May ... yes in some part of Switzerland we're getting some snow up to the end of April :-( ), I mounted the standard 21" turbine wheel on my P90D Ludicrous. During the winter, I drove the car with the factory 19". 19" wheels are equiped with the Nokian Hakkapellitta R2; 21" are equiped with the Michelin Pilot Sport. I did some energy consumption measures during the whole winter, and for the trip, driving +/- the same / no climatisation / eco mode / ext. temperature about 10-15C with 21" v.s. 0-3C with 19", the energy consumption is about 19% higher with the 21" wheels. On the Tesla website, the difference is 5% in the same conditions. Could someone explain me what could be the problem?

I cannot explain the variance on the Model S, however Tesla claims a 10-15% range difference on the Model X with 22" wheels.

Range 22 wheels.PNG

I have both 19" wheels with the OE Michelins and the factory gray 21" with the OE Continentals. Over my 260 mile round trip commute swapping wheels sets back and fourth, there no difference wh / mile. Yes I know there should be be there isn't.

Thanks sharing your expériences. It seems the Tesla website simulator don't indicateur the same deltas between 19 inches and 21 inches respectively 22 inches. As I only drove the 21 inches since less than one month, I'll continue logging during 1 or 2 months more and check the difference. I'll also check the tires pressure and the geometry of the car.

Tire composition plays a pretty big role in consumption as well. Going from one composition to another on 19" wheels can change your Wh/mi pretty dramatically (in my case, from ~275 Wh/Mi to ~320 Wh/Mi on my 2012).