Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the update! The sound does seem temperature sensitive. My condolences for your frigid 60F lol. Our nights are finally back above 0 here.

Just curious, what software are you and @fignacious and @mackgriggs on? I'm on 2021.44.30.7. Doubt it's related but it does seem like our sounds all appeared around the same time.
Same version and mine was happening before the holiday update so I doubt there's a connection there

Reactions: Benito1283
I had this issue about a week after delivery. It was the little brake clips on one of the rear wheels that was getting stuck often enough to be annoying. The mobile guy came out and replaced both the entire brake pads at no cost.
Never heard a squeak since
Ooh, thank you, this sounds potentially promising. I wonder if I could just try pulling the clips out a tiny bit to see if it makes any difference. It does have kind of a metal-on-metal sound. Was your sound constant or intermittent?

I had this issue about a week after delivery. It was the little brake clips on one of the rear wheels that was getting stuck often enough to be annoying. The mobile guy came out and replaced both the entire brake pads at no cost.
Never heard a squeak since
WOW.. wouldn't that be nice! That's the great thing about this forum. We get more knowledge than service techs on certain things. Now it's trying to get THEM to take the info seriously. I have that problem with Toyota service. If you aren't a Toyota mechanic, you're automatically dismissed even though you're sure you have accurate information - but it's from the forums or YouTube. Depending on the dealer, it can be a lost cause.

Totally different sound, and pedestrian warning is only for reverse.

Actually, instead of high pitched "cricket" noise......my wife also described it as a similar sound to what a CD spinning/searching in a CD player (if anybody remembers what that sound used to be like).
Yes that is also a good description, I agree.

Drove quite a bit on Saturday at 60F temps and the noise was back strong as ever, speed didn't matter. This was after rarely hearing it during a 30 mile drive a few days before when temps were 85F. I'm starting to get the impression that ambient temps have some influence though I don't have enough anecdotal data to confirm this.

This is my wife's daily driver so I only get the occasional weekday/weekend drive. She just turns the music up and can't be bothered to get me any data lol.

Yes, that CD searching is the exact sound! I have a feeling that description may be lost of most of the younger techs...

I found a year old Reddit thread, where one guy described the exact sound and speed range where I hear mine. He took it to Tesla and they the found a brake dust shield(s) were improperly installed and rubbing against the rotors. The SC reinstalled correctly and sound was gone.

I've had a brake shop and local mechanic look at my brakes, and both said everything looked fine, but it was just a cursory glance at pads, rotors, and hardware w/o taking the wheel off. I think this dust shield issue is something you'd need really get up in there to inspect the tolerances. I'm guessing this would also be consistent with the friction brakes not changing the sound.

I have a SC appt Wednesday (can't come soon enough) and I'm requesting they do a thorough brake inspection. It's under warranty... If they can't isolate it, they'll just need to start replacing things. I've already had two techs there acknowledge the sound so I'm hoping I won't get sucked down the "within spec" drain of hell. I love this car and I’m looking forward to enjoying it again without reservation. Will keep you all posted!

Last edited:
Very interested to see what comes of it for you @Benito1283
Your SC seems a lot more accommodating than mine, who just said "normal brake sound" and sent me on my way.
That’s gotta be so frustrating. Sorry you had that experience. I would try escalating if I were you, but your SC being so far away it may not be worth it. Hopefully we’ll figure out a solution and you can have yours repaired closer by.

That’s gotta be so frustrating. Sorry you had that experience. I would try escalating if I were you, but your SC being so far away it may not be worth it. Hopefully we’ll figure out a solution and you can have yours repaired closer by.
That's exactly what I'm hoping.. you and others are able to get a repair done that fixes the issue and I can escalate and use that as leverage against mine being "normal brake sound"

I have the car today so have been doing some experimenting. I'm 99.9% sure this is a brake noise now.

Driving at 65mph along the expressway and noise is constant and as loud as it's been. I slam on the brakes with a force that had to almost engage ABS (obviously no one around). Got back up to 65 and absolutely no noise, not even a chirp. Several miles later I start to hear a few chirps starting; not constant again though.

I decided to try another experiment at the first traffic light off the expressway. Once completely stopped using regen I just mashed the brake pedal with all my weight and low and behold I didn't hear another chirp for several more miles until I got back to the office.

This leads me to believe this is certainly a pad to rotor or pad clip vibration. At least I know I can get rid of the noise if even for a few miles until hopefully an adjustment or part change is performed by Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Benito1283
I have the car today so have been doing some experimenting. I'm 99.9% sure this is a brake noise now.

Driving at 65mph along the expressway and noise is constant and as loud as it's been. I slam on the brakes with a force that had to almost engage ABS (obviously no one around). Got back up to 65 and absolutely no noise, not even a chirp. Several miles later I start to hear a few chirps starting; not constant again though.

I decided to try another experiment at the first traffic light off the expressway. Once completely stopped using regen I just mashed the brake pedal with all my weight and low and behold I didn't hear another chirp for several more miles until I got back to the office.

This leads me to believe this is certainly a pad to rotor or pad clip vibration. At least I know I can get rid of the noise if even for a few miles until hopefully an adjustment or part change is performed by Tesla.
That's great info, thanks for experimenting! Definitely sounds brake related given what you describe. Although my sound doesn't change when I use the friction brakes, which I feel like it would if it were pad related.

Mine is currently at the SC so I'm hoping for an update soon. I may even relay this data to them through the app to make sure they do a thorough brake inspection.

Last edited:
UPDATE

I drove an hour to a different SC yesterday (CO Springs). Drove w/ a tech and the sound was very faint, which I expected since that happens when the car is warmed up. Since they did have a loaner for me, I decided to leave it overnight and have them drive it in the morning when I knew it would make the sound.

Got a call at 9am this morning from service advisor. The lead tech was able to reproduce the sound, and after diagnostics, determined the drive unit needed to be replaced, under warranty. Not sure if this is rear only, or if it's one unit for the whole car?

I'm waiting to hear on ETA but they said it should be relatively quick. I'm also curious what exactly the fault was, and how they diagnosed it. I saw on my Tezlab app that after they did the road test, they must've had the motor going while on the lift which probably helped diagnose it.

I'm mixed on the whole experience but glad the problem was acknowledged and is finally going to get resolved. I hope that those with the same sound are able to get a similar resolution without too much trouble. Will share more details if/when I get them.

Last edited:
UPDATE

I drove an hour to a different SC yesterday (CO Springs). Drove w/ a tech and the sound was very faint, which I expected since that happens when the car is warmed up. Since they did have a loaner for me, I decided to leave it overnight and have them drive it in the morning when I knew it would make the sound.

Got a call at 9am this morning from service advisor. The lead tech was able to reproduce the sound, and after diagnostics, determined the drive unit needed to be replaced, under warranty. Not sure if this is rear only, or if it's one unit for the whole car?

I'm waiting to hear on ETA but they said it should be relatively quick. I'm also curious what exactly the fault was, and how they diagnosed it. I saw on my Tezlab app that after they did the road test, they must've had the motor going while on the lift which probably helped diagnose it.

I'm mixed on the whole experience but glad the problem was acknowledged and is finally going to get resolved. I hope that those with the same sound are able to get a similar resolution without too much trouble. Will share more details if/when I get them.
Wow...thanks for the update.

My noise is occurring whether or not the car has been driven and warmed up. It also occurs at any speed and is louder at 70-75 than 40-45. Even with the additional wind and road noise at higher speed the noise is easier to hear. The only trigger seems to be the car has to be near neutral power.

I have service scheduled for Feb 12 which was first available time. We'll see what Tesla says.
Hello, Pls share if you got it fixed. I have exact same problem.

Well, I'm going to reach out to my SC. I bedded the brakes twice two weeks apart. Initially the noise seemed to go away to near nothing, but would come back after a few days. So far, 3 symptoms I've heard of are 1. brake clips 2. brake dust shields 3. drive unit

Went to my SC for the 2nd time about this. They didn't notice anything odd when it was on the lift, and ran some "thermal checks" to verify the DU cooling system is working. Tech thinks it may be pressure from the system that I hear, but couldn't find anything "wrong" so here we are. Going to just drive it and enjoy the car. Maybe it gets better, maybe work, maybe the same..

UPDATE

How did this work out? Did they replace the drive unit?

I have the same sound, been to SC in Oslo, Norway twice. Last time they removed the HV and replaced penthouse sealing. Did not help.

I actually made them an entire dropbox folder with the sound. Sounds excactly like yours. Model Y

After the seal replacement I had the technician call me, and he admitted they didn't have any solution for now. Tesla Norway don't have enough experience with the MY. Hopeully this thread will help them.

My car is a MYLR (10500 miles)

Reactions: SWIPE