Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only heard the staticky high pitch sound while driving/crusising. I do not heard it when I go below 40mph. For me, I doubt it would be the speaker.
I know it seems somewhat far-fetched, but the noise in these videos is almost the same profile as what I am hearing while driving. So I want to at least rule this out. The creator of those videos fixed their issue by unplugging a speaker.

I know it seems somewhat far-fetched, but the noise in these videos is almost the same profile as what I am hearing while driving. So I want to at least rule this out. The creator of those videos fixed their issue by unplugging a speaker.
Yeah I remember seeing those videos too, and it's suspicious how similar sounding it is. From pitch to even the way it comes and goes randomly. But the circumstances are just so different (the car was stationary in those videos) I have to wonder if it's just a coincidence.

Another thing you mentioned before about speeds, you said yours was from 50-70mph. My old drive unit was the same, however my new one is noisy from 55mph down to 30-20mph (lower speeds when de-accelerating). All that being said, with my magnet+microphone on the front drive unit mounting screw, I can hear the noise above 55mph too, it's just quieter. However, when going around a right hand exit ramp, it truly is gone, even with the magnet/microphone.

Something also to note about that magnet/microphone setup, as a control, I stuck it to a metal shield near the front drive unit and I heard nothing. That just eliminates the possibility the microphone wire or recording device were picking up noise.

Yeah I remember seeing those videos too, and it's suspicious how similar sounding it is. From pitch to even the way it comes and goes randomly. But the circumstances are just so different (the car was stationary in those videos) I have to wonder if it's just a coincidence.

Another thing you mentioned before about speeds, you said yours was from 50-70mph. My old drive unit was the same, however my new one is noisy from 55mph down to 30-20mph (lower speeds when de-accelerating). All that being said, with my magnet+microphone on the front drive unit mounting screw, I can hear the noise above 55mph too, it's just quieter. However, when going around a right hand exit ramp, it truly is gone, even with the magnet/microphone.

Something also to note about that magnet/microphone setup, as a control, I stuck it to a metal shield near the front drive unit and I heard nothing. That just eliminates the possibility the microphone wire or recording device were picking up noise.
For me, the issue is exactly the same before after the front drive unit replacement. The issue is still noticed from 50-70 mph, but I labeled the last video 60-70 to match the speeds where I was recording.

I'm not sure about the exit ramp thing on your car. It's possible that changes the conditions enough to stop the noise.

The sound is similar, but my issue isn't coming from that speaker.

I jammed a towel up near that speaker and wedged it into place as I went for a drive. The high pitched noise is still there and is loud as ever.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Took mine to the SC 3 days ago and drove with one of the techs who was able to clearly hear the noise. They kept the car to further diagnose the issue and, lo and behold, this is the update I saw today on the Tesla App:

Attachments

• IMG_4921.jpeg
    IMG_4921.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 208
Wow that sounds really close. Does the Y have the same speaker? If not the speaker it does make me wonder if it’s something electrical rather than mechanical like a bearing.

I got the same issue 2022 Model YP tried at SC 3 times thinking it was wind noise some tech heard and others didnt.

Wow, I would say this is exactly the same as my 2023 MYLR7. When was your car built, and is there a particular speed or range of speeds that the issue shows up?

Does this mean that you tried three times, but no service was ever done?

Hello from Switzerland !

I am currently experiencing the same issue as @Benito1283 with my 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD, and I am seeking a reliable solution to address this problem. The high-pitched, cricket-like noise has been persistent (Louder below 5°C), and despite having visited the Tesla Service Center in Bern, Switzerland on five separate occasions, the results and feedback from the technicians have been inconsistent and unsatisfactory.

During my drives, I usually hear the sound at around 80 km/h, but I have also noticed it at speeds as low as 50 km/h. To provide more context, I have included recordings of the noise in the description of this post for reference.

During some of these visits, the technicians acknowledged the presence of the sound and suggested that it might be due to wind noise. However, on other occasions, they were unable to detect the noise at all. This inconsistency in diagnosing the issue has left me concerned and frustrated, as I have not received a concrete answer or solution to resolve the problem.

I am reaching out to this community to gather more information and possible solutions for this issue. If any of you have experienced a similar problem with your Tesla, I would appreciate it if you could share your experiences, insights, and potential fixes that may have worked for you.

Additionally, if you have any advice on how to better communicate this issue to the service technicians or escalate my concerns, it would be of great help. My primary objective is to find a reliable and lasting solution to eliminate this annoying noise.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and support.

Attachments

• Model 3 cricket noise.zip
    257.2 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Ts91
Thanks for the input. I think I will look into some of the apps and do some collection with one of those. I agree with your point that, even though no power may be going in/out of the front motor, electronically it is probably still doing something.

As mentioned before, I work as an engineer in R&D for a major supplier of electric powertrains for commercial vehicles, and I am somewhat familiar with the different topologies and control strategies. But I have not dug into these finer details of the Tesla dual motor setups yet -- like what exactly is happening with the front induction motor at steady-state highway speeds.

Last night, after I posted my update, I was thinking to myself, "You know, I described this earlier as a kind of a staticky noise, like a bad ground on a speaker.... what are the chances that it could ACTUALLY be coming from a speaker?" Like some kind of weird interference between HV power electronics and a speaker wire. It just hardly seems like the kind of noise that originates at the FDU, goes through the firewall, and into the cabin.

It looks like there were a bunch of issues with staticky speaker noise on earlier Teslas. Most of those were staticky even if the vehicle was parked, so maybe I'm just dreaming this up. I'm probably going to do some test driving this weekend and see if I can link it to a speaker, through "various methods" which I will share later. I don't like the idea of just dumping it on the SC again and ending up with another swapped FDU for no reason...
Well I messaged my SC through the app to inform them that the FDU replacement did not fix it. They asked me to put in a new ticket so they could research it further.

Nothing but good things to say about the Urbandale, Iowa SC so far. They are a newer center and have not encountered this particular issue before, but seem committed to making it right.

I mentioned to them last week that there is a whole forum thread of people dealing with this issue, and I could send them a link. They said, "Yeah, we try to stay away from the forums..." 🤣. Ok, fair enough. However, there are now enough good recordings here from various users that I would like to see if they can somehow use these to open a special investigation with Tesla engineering.

Last edited:
Hi All

I am having the same issue with my MYLR that I got in Feb 2023. I just dropped it off at the service center yesterday in Fremont, CA and did the drive with the tech. The tech dismissed the issue as the sound being "normal".

After finding this thread I sent a message linking this thread to the service center noting the fix by replacing the front motor because of a faulty bearing. I haven't gotten a response yet.... we shall see.

Has anyone here had success with resolving the issue at the Fremont Service Center in CA? It would be great to find documentation that this issue CAN be fixed and that it is NOT normal.

Thanks!
let us know how it went.
I visited burlingame SC 3 times but had no luck

Reactions: Happy Hippo
My new model 3 LR 2023 has this sound. Worst between 50 and 65 for me. Almost gone above 70 luckily so I cruise there on motorway. I wondered about a form of turbulent wind noise coming in behind the dash from somewhere. I know it sounds mechanical but it has an odd buffeting quality in the way that wind noise fluctuates. I wonder about some kind of seal being incorrect or a bit of trim catching wind etc. The fact it's persistent in the same speed for everyone implies some form of resonant frequency. I cant see how a drive unit issue/ bearing issue etc would be so consistent in its replication from case to case.
I think of taping up all the possible air entry points around the front and seeing what happens

My new model 3 LR 2023 has this sound. Worst between 50 and 65 for me. Almost gone above 70 luckily so I cruise there on motorway. I wondered about a form of turbulent wind noise coming in behind the dash from somewhere. I know it sounds mechanical but it has an odd buffeting quality in the way that wind noise fluctuates. I wonder about some kind of seal being incorrect or a bit of trim catching wind etc. The fact it's persistent in the same speed for everyone implies some form of resonant frequency. I cant see how a drive unit issue/ bearing issue etc would be so consistent in its replication from case to case.
I think of taping up all the possible air entry points around the front and seeing what happens
It’s the drive unit. A couple other posters, as well as myself, had their SC’s reproduce the sound with the car on the lift (i.e. no wind) and could identify the noise coming from the drive unit.

A few others and I have also had the issue resolved following drive unit replacement.

It’s the drive unit. A couple other posters, as well as myself, had their SC’s reproduce the sound with the car on the lift (i.e. no wind) and could identify the noise coming from the drive unit.

A few others and I have also had the issue resolved following drive unit replacement.
OK I'll see how it goes and report it to service if it continues thanks

Others have had the drive unit replaced and the noise is still present. I am not sure...

Reactions: rolling green
Others have had the drive unit replaced and the noise is still present. I am not sure...
Yeah, that seems to be the mystery. One theory was that a larger portion of the drive units have this sound than we realize, and/or the units they use as replacements are more likely to have it for whatever reason.

Another theory was that it’s the actual act of replacing the DU that solves it. Like the replacing of coolant, seals, etc. does the trick, which would explain why it sometimes takes two attempts.

The first DU replacement I got made the sound but it was in a distinctly different speed range as the original - a few others have noted this too. After the second replacement (just over a year ago) I haven’t heard the noise once.