Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone try to reach out to any YouTubers or big players in the EV world to see about getting the spotlight put on this issue? Just for kicks I sent an email to Sandy Monro’s company to see if they have ever heard of it. I doubt it’ll ever go anywhere and even more so that I’ll hear back from them - it’s worth trying though.

I didn't realize that the noise goes away if the car charges at a Supercharger. Is this the case for everyone? I charge at home, so I rarely (almost never) visit Superchargers.

Context: Someone stated that the noise goes away after Supercharging on the other forum and this is the response that got.

"That (Supercharging), combined with the frequency not varying with speed, indicates to me that this is not coming from the drive unit. It's coming from some other system, likely cooling. Could be a pump, could be a valve, could be a fan. I'd lean towards valve."

I didn't realize that the noise goes away if the car charges at a Supercharger. Is this the case for everyone? I charge at home, so I rarely (almost never) visit Superchargers.

Context: Someone stated that the noise goes away after Supercharging on the other forum and this is the response that got.

"That (Supercharging), combined with the frequency not varying with speed, indicates to me that this is not coming from the drive unit. It's coming from some other system, likely cooling. Could be a pump, could be a valve, could be a fan. I'd lean towards valve."
Yes this is the case at least for me. Was driving in -5 degrees last weekend. Starting the road trip I heard the noise in the beginning 2 hours. But after supercharging the noise was completely gone for around 1h-2h until probably the cooland had dropped in temperature. So I'm also leaning towards a coolant issue.

Yes this is the case at least for me. Was driving in -5 degrees last weekend. Starting the road trip I heard the noise in the beginning 2 hours. But after supercharging the noise was completely gone for around 1h-2h until probably the cooland had dropped in temperature. So I'm also leaning towards a coolant issue.
Another oddity I've noticed is the noise seems to disappear if it's raining out, and not just because of the added road noise.

I too think it's a cooling noise. It seems to be a noise of pressurized liquid moving (maybe a valve or something else).

This guy had the issue and got it fixed but he had to go thru hell to get it done as wellI

This guy had the issue and got it fixed but he had to go thru hell to get it done as well
Thats noise in his video is exactly my noise. I wonder which SC he goes I am also located in Canada.

This is the sound everybody has. I would like to have the SC acknowledge the sound officialy but they didnt.

I'm not sure I have the will to keep fighting. It IS impossible to have an email or something from the company without going through the app.

I would be ready to pay to have the fdu replaced but I can't even ask for it...

This is the sound everybody has. I would like to have the SC acknowledge the sound officialy but they didnt.

I'm not sure I have the will to keep fighting. It IS impossible to have an email or something from the company without going through the app.

I would be ready to pay to have the fdu replaced but I can't even ask for it...
I fought with Tesla to get the FDU replaced for 4 months and it did not fix the issue for me. I informed them of this and they looked at me like I was crazy. We even bought a new Model Y and it still has the issue. To me, three FDUs across 14 months all having the issue suggests this is how Tesla expects the FDU to operate. I think the best we can do is bringing media attention to the issue or try to find a lawyer to pursue a class action suit. I don't personally understand how this is going unreported when "the best-selling car in the world" sounds like a rusty wagon any time it's colder than 70 degrees outside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ts91
I fought with Tesla to get the FDU replaced for 4 months and it did not fix the issue for me. I informed them of this and they looked at me like I was crazy. We even bought a new Model Y and it still has the issue. To me, three FDUs across 14 months all having the issue suggests this is how Tesla expects the FDU to operate. I think the best we can do is bringing media attention to the issue or try to find a lawyer to pursue a class action suit. I don't personally understand how this is going unreported when "the best-selling car in the world" sounds like a rusty wagon any time it's colder than 70 degrees outside.
Same. I also had my FDU replaced and the replacement sounds about the same as the one pre-replacement.

I also have a second Model Y, and that was is near silent from what I've seen (it's my wife's daily drivers so I don't have as many miles logged in it).

I've largely just learned to live with the issue. Going to the service center multiple times and dropping my car off for multiple days just wore on my and I stopped wasting my time. I've followed this thread hoping that Tesla Engineering would have come up with a fix by now, but I fear that the issue is too wide spread, under reported, or too cost prohibitive for Tesla to want to address. I wish that weren't the case, but for as long as it has gone on now I would be surprised if there were an actual fix that was released.

That's disappointing even if not surprising.

I will live with it and sell the car in a few year and buy a rwd version (or another brand). I bought enhauto commander and I will try to disable the front motor (it seems possible with the latest update) and see if it changes anything.

Under 70 outside is like 10 months of the year for me...

That's disappointing even if not surprising.

I will live with it and sell the car in a few year and buy a rwd version (or another brand). I bought enhauto commander and I will try to disable the front motor (it seems possible with the latest update) and see if it changes anything.

Under 70 outside is like 10 months of the year for me...
I've tried disabling the front motor as well to no avail (I have the MYP and can disable the front motor in track mode). The noise is still there.