Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is wrong with my X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving my X today on the Interstate at about 70 mph with 3 passengers. We heard an incredibly loud sound like a gunshot. We pulled over but could find no damage except now the gull wing doors aren't lining up or opening as they should (sometimes they open and then they won't). The paint is scraped off the driver side gull wing door edge as if it is rubbing metal to metal. It only has 1000 miles on it (one month old). My brother thinks a weld broke and it is structurally unsound. I love my Model 3 and have never had a single problem with it...but I'm very worried about the X. Bringing it to the service center tomorrow am.
Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Not sure what what the sound was but the doors rubbing is normal. It’s a design issue. You likely just noticed it now cuz you were looking for something. Tesla will just put some like ppf tape where it rubs and call it a day

I was driving my X today on the Interstate at about 70 mph with 3 passengers. We heard an incredibly loud sound like a gunshot. We pulled over but could find no damage except now the gull wing doors aren't lining up or opening as they should (sometimes they open and then they won't). The paint is scraped off the driver side gull wing door edge as if it is rubbing metal to metal. It only has 1000 miles on it (one month old). My brother thinks a weld broke and it is structurally unsound. I love my Model 3 and have never had a single problem with it...but I'm very worried about the X. Bringing it to the service center tomorrow am.
Has anyone else had something like this happen?
Obviously sounds like something under tension broke. Did you take it outside on a flat parking lot (etc) and open the door in question and take pictures of all the hinged areas and connection points?

First responder images: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2016_Model_X_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

utu2nN4.jpg

OCYlzGb.jpg

Obviously sounds like something under tension broke. Did you take it outside on a flat parking lot (etc) and open the door in question and take pictures of all the hinged areas and connection points?
It does sound like a broken FWD torsion spring or spring mount/clamp. These springs are under the greatest tension when the doors are closed and that's the most likely time for failure. A broken (or untorqued) spring will cause everything to shift a bit as the forces on the roof structure are no longer uniform, which it sounds like what's happening with the door alignments. The electrical servos will also have a hard time fighting against the unbalanced weight.

My guess is if you pulled the manual release, you'd find that the affected door felt noticeably heavier than the other.

Yes, everything you described(the loud noise, the door alignment being off and door not opening normally) would make sense if the spring in question or an attaching part was broken.

Kudos to Scottf200 and MrBombjoy !

Reactions: scottf200