Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your favorite all-round vehicle you've owned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really the most satisfying overall is my Model S Plaid, but...
For memories and sheer exuberance it was this:
I do not have a photo of mine, but it was identical to the photo above.
For an ICE there is nothing to match a tiny four cylinder needle-bearing 11,500 RPM redlined built more like a motorcycle than a car. I loved that and drove it all over Thailand and some of Laos back in 1968 when I owned it. It replaced a Honda motorcycle. I saw it in Bangkok where it was being prepped for delivery to the Honda GM's spouse. I went nuts and he graciously offered it to me, perhaps influenced by the initial arrival of cars other than the N360, itself a blast to drive.
Shortly after that somebody told me there were things called ADR's (American Depositary Receipts) that Honda had that allowed foreigners to buy shares. Clueless I was, but I tapped my tiny reserves and bought some, thinking those motorcycles were pretty good (I'd ridden a Honda Dream back in the USA years before) and the cars were sooo much fun.
Those shares worked out, I sold my S600 when I left Thailand, I never have forgotten that wondrous tiny exciting car-like conveyance.
Despite those memories and those of Morgan, Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche and many more...none ever matched the sheer glory of that tiny, tiny car that felt so very fast while never challenging any speed limitations. Those feelings never were matched by any other car. I felt the same about a Learjet 25D, but that is an entirely different story and does not even come close to the S600, albeit being much, much faster and much, much more demanding for the operator. No qualification was needed to be captivated by that Honda S600.

Now back to my Model S Plaid which simply works, in a mature and responsible way, while still having the potential to out-accelerate that Lear, at least for a quarter mile or so.

• Funny
Reactions: Canyonero
Really the most satisfying overall is my Model S Plaid, but...
For memories and sheer exuberance it was this:
I do not have a photo of mine, but it was identical to the photo above.
For an ICE there is nothing to match a tiny four cylinder needle-bearing 11,500 RPM redlined built more like a motorcycle than a car. I loved that and drove it all over Thailand and some of Laos back in 1968 when I owned it. It replaced a Honda motorcycle. I saw it in Bangkok where it was being prepped for delivery to the Honda GM's spouse. I went nuts and he graciously offered it to me, perhaps influenced by the initial arrival of cars other than the N360, itself a blast to drive.
Shortly after that somebody told me there were things called ADR's (American Depositary Receipts) that Honda had that allowed foreigners to buy shares. Clueless I was, but I tapped my tiny reserves and bought some, thinking those motorcycles were pretty good (I'd ridden a Honda Dream back in the USA years before) and the cars were sooo much fun.
Those shares worked out, I sold my S600 when I left Thailand, I never have forgotten that wondrous tiny exciting car-like conveyance.
Despite those memories and those of Morgan, Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche and many more...none ever matched the sheer glory of that tiny, tiny car that felt so very fast while never challenging any speed limitations. Those feelings never were matched by any other car. I felt the same about a Learjet 25D, but that is an entirely different story and does not even come close to the S600, albeit being much, much faster and much, much more demanding for the operator. No qualification was needed to be captivated by that Honda S600.

Now back to my Model S Plaid which simply works, in a mature and responsible way, while still having the potential to out-accelerate that Lear, at least for a quarter mile or so.
It’s interesting how people go through phases with automobiles. I had a del Sol for a bit. It was such a neat, quirky little car. My Z28 was a soulful experience. I just sold my Focus after driving it for years and found it hard to give up. My 3 has qualities of each of those - quirks, power and practicality.

Reactions: unk45
100% agree. I can’t understand why so many people are afraid of putting miles on them in order to save them for the next guy. Some people are so ridiculous they trailer them to car meets. I bought the car to drive, not to look at it setting in my garage. Plus, when they’re driven they’re a lot less problematic. Yes, it’s not very practical and maintenance is expensive but it’s about living your best life every day.

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Jim Glickenhaus (Ferrari Collector)

100% I know plenty that are far more wealthy than me and are scared of the depreciation hit. My Ferrari F12 is gone but hey when she crossed 40,000 miles. Talk about environmental polluter. Catless V12. :eek: :p

Attachments

• 40k.jpg
    40k.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 28
Hm.

Best memories has to be my old 2003 Focus ZX5 with a 5 speed. It was nothing special as a car, but I got it new in college and did all kinds of stuff. I was moving between Savannah and Atlanta every semester and I crammed an incredible amount of stuff in that car. Pulled a sailboat down from Atlanta one time. Slept in it more than once. Hacked, modded, and tweaked all kinds of things. Drove it home with a dead battery once, and another time with a busted master clutch cylinder. It eventually gave up the ghost in summer 2021 and the cost of tools and parts exceeded the car's value, so it got donated.

Most utility is probably our 2014 Odyssey. It wasn't exactly what we wanted when we got it in 2019, but it's what we could afford when we needed a car right now. Yeah, it's a minivan and really a little too big for just the three of us, but you never run out of room for trips or hauling stuff around. And it was great when we had visitors or were up seeing family, as everyone could cram into one car. My only major gripe is that it's too new to be easily upgraded to an AA/CP capable head unit, but too old to have the capability built in. But it has a bunch of miles on it at this point and it's time for it to go before the next shoe drops. Wife wants a Corolla Cross hybrid (shame it's not available in a PHEV), and while she has a point that an ICE can still be useful for some trips etc... I'd rather limit my gas usage to the airplane...

My MY is probably the most fun to drive, and definitely quite practical for all kinds of daily use thanks to the trailer hitch (I put hitches on everything). Not gonna lie though, if there's a good quick EV minivan out by the time my son starts driving in eight years or so, and the price isn't insane, it might well be in consideration...

Reactions: SQ97
I enjoyed my Jeep Wrangler SAHARA 4 DOOR. Terrible ride, only slightly worst than my 2021 MY, but it could handle any chuck hole as long as your back and teeth could handle it. Also got poor mileage. I drove it for 13 years w/o trouble until I finally traded it for the MY. If I had to do it over I don't think I would have gotten an EV. To me they are just not ready for prime time. Around town fine, but not for travel.