Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what it's like to test drive a Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did it yesterday. The first time I launched I actually hit my head on the headrest pretty hard. I think I might have minor whiplash. Wasn’t expecting it to pull that hard from a dead stop. I drive a pretty fast car (340i xdrive) but like most ICE cars, especially turbo ICE cars, it has some pretty significant lag between when you push the pedal and it actually launches. The Performance was so instant it caught me off guard.

I just did it yesterday. The first time I launched I actually hit my head on the headrest pretty hard. I think I might have minor whiplash. Wasn’t expecting it to pull that hard from a dead stop. I drive a pretty fast car (340i xdrive) but like most ICE cars, especially turbo ICE cars, it has some pretty significant lag between when you push the pedal and it actually launches. The Performance was so instant it caught me off guard.

So you’re ordering one?

I got one almost two weeks ago and needless to say it will put a smile on my face every time. Yesterday I let someone else drive while I was in the passenger seat. When I put it in sport mode and told them to punch it, I almost got whiplash and my arm flew into the backseat involuntarily. I was ready for it as a driver but as a passenger, it completely caught me off guard... in a good way of course!

• Love
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial

Passengers sometimes chuckle or give me an eye-roll when I tell them to put their heads on the headrest before I launch. Those that don't follow my instructions quickly realize the error of their ways...:D

Reactions: SO16
So you’re ordering one?

Yeah. I've been holding off because I needed to do some stuff around the house to get ready for it and didn't want to get it too soon. (a buddy of mine ordered one and got it in like 10 days) The last thing I need to do is get the NEMA 14-50 plug installed. The electrician is coming on the 26th to do that. So I'm thinking I might order today and try to schedule pickup for my birthday on the 28th. (happy birthday to me :))

Reactions: SO16
Yeah. I've been holding off because I needed to do some stuff around the house to get ready for it and didn't want to get it too soon. (a buddy of mine ordered one and got it in like 10 days) The last thing I need to do is get the NEMA 14-50 plug installed. The electrician is coming on the 26th to do that. So I'm thinking I might order today and try to schedule pickup for my birthday on the 28th. (happy birthday to me :))

Early congrats! And I wouldn’t stress too much during the summer about the 14-50 if your commute isn’t too long. It becomes a bigger issue in winter.

I “survived” about 2 months of winter before I had level 2 installed. That was a bit stressful with the 110V 15amp.

If you have a 110v 20amp outlet in your garage (some do) it’s much more sustainable until the electrician gets there.

Great birthday present to yourself!