Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind Of People Are Ordering The 2012 Tesla Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think she nailed it. Conversations I heard (and even in the videos) showed a lot of people who are buying don't even know about electric cars.

Maybe she's right about the Security and Carbon Footprint reasons but maybe they just want to be part of something new. And something bigger than themselves. I know the feeling from our Roadster purchase. Helping the change -- with benefits.

Elon was being pretty frank when he asked the crowd for help. As if to say, tell everyone, don't order in silence, let everyone know.

She forgot to put in the article that Tesla Motors is the most accomplished EV manufacture today...
That's be tough to justify and she'd come off sounding like a biased fanboy. We might be believers, but the Leaf has sold far more units than the Roadster. That sort of adulation will need to wait until the Model S actually sells.

Mixed crowd

Definitely a mixed group of buyers.. I am 36 and make ~$75k/ yr but have been looking into building an Ev for a couple of years.
After pricing out just the major components for the power train I would want, it is over $35K. Add in all of the labor to get a decently finished car and ....bam...$$... #1722- The Model S just kills anything I could do. I think I'll make a 1/24th scale model S- RC car instead now that I have some S shells ;>.

So I bought a Jacket at the event that I can wear all winter and represent Tezzzsssla up on North Coast Cali!!

I think some people up here will be pretty interested after they see the car in person!!
Yummy!!!!

That's be tough to justify and she'd come off sounding like a biased fanboy. We might be believers, but the Leaf has sold far more units than the Roadster. That sort of adulation will need to wait until the Model S actually sells.

Ckessel really.... Any other EV would have out sold the Roadster and that's only do to price but when it come to substance the Roadster is better product. As for the Model S it is my understanding that the first run of the S is sold out. Only time, marketing and the public's view will show us how well the S will do.

Interesting article. I think she did a good job.

One thing to consider about the parking lot: many of the cars were likely rentals as we had a lot of out-of-towners (myself included) at the event. Of course, I don't actually own a car, so that doesn't change the parking lot either way. :wink:

Politically speaking, I'm probably a little bit unconventional for the crowd, but the way she phrased the political notions (e.g., "cutting reliance on foreign oil") align with my way of thinking.

I do think this point was missing, and I don't think I am alone here: I want a Model S for the plain-simple reason that it's going to be the coolest car on the road.

Ckessel really....
You said: "She forgot to put in the article that Tesla Motors is the most accomplished EV manufacture today..."

You and I, as side line fans, we can say it all we want :)

My point is she can't say that objectively. There's nothing to really back it up at this point. Most accomplished how? Sales? Not yet. Profit? Not yet. Cars produced? Not yet. You can argue they're the most technically accomplished, perhaps point to patents and partnerships.

But, as a reporter, even on an opinion piece, she needs some sort of hard data to hang that kind of statement on. She could say forward looking statements, like "Looks to be the dominant player in the luxury EV market" or something similar.

You said: "She forgot to put in the article that Tesla Motors is the most accomplished EV manufacture today..."

You and I, as side line fans, we can say it all we want :)

My point is she can't say that objectively. There's nothing to really back it up at this point. Most accomplished how? Sales? Not yet. Profit? Not yet. Cars produced? Not yet. You can argue they're the most technically accomplished, perhaps point to patents and partnerships.

But, as a reporter, even on an opinion piece, she needs some sort of hard data to hang that kind of statement on. She could say forward looking statements, like "Looks to be the dominant player in the luxury EV market" or something similar.

ok. LOL... I see your point.