TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What kind of plug is this, and can I buy an adapter?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by clicketyclack, Nov 17, 2018.

1. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

I'm renting a house and saw the attached plug in the garage, was just curious if anyone knew the kind of plug this is and if there is an adapter available.
    IMG_20181117_203158.jpg

2. marksvend

marksvend Member

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. CCIE

CCIE Member

• Informative x 2
  4. mikeinanaheim

mikeinanaheim New Member

Means with adapter mentioned above, you get get more efficient power usage and faster charging than 110V. Perfect.
    And probably best charge rate for long battery life.

5. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

What others have said about it being a 6-50 is correct.

I would look in your panel to see what size circuit breaker it is on. Most likely it is on a 40 or 50a breaker, but it could be on something smaller. Anything less than 40a and you won’t be able to charge at the max speed of the UMC.

You are very lucky to find a rental with such a great charging option built in!

Probably was for a welder...

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. Taric25

Taric25 New Member

Pardon, doeando the NEMA 14-60 charge faster, since it provides 60 amps instead of 50 amps?

7. Taric25

Taric25 New Member

doesn't*

8. marksvend

marksvend Member

The Mobile Connector (gen 2) that comes with the Model 3 is only capable of 32 amps max. The gen 1 Mobile Connector that you can buy from shop.tesla.com can charge at 40 amps maximum. A Tesla Wall Connector does 48 amps, but is typically hard-wired by an electrician.

• Informative x 1
  9. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

Exactly.

To add to this: I know of no adapter for the UMC (gen 1 or 2) that would let you plug into a 14-60. Also, I have never actually seen a 14-60 in my life... I know of no application that uses them.

10. Taric25

Taric25 New Member

I know some electric ovens use them.

• Like x 1
  11. clicketyclack

clicketyclack Member

Its a 50amp circuit so I am golden

• Like x 3
  12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.20.4.2

My brother has a 6-50 outlet in his shop that I used for charging. We failed to check the fuses first and an hour after I started charging, the fuses blew and shut things down. Since it was Christmas Eve, I had to wait another day and a half to find a store that sold the right fuses. We replaced them and then I charged at 32 amps instead of 40 amps and didn't have any problems after that.

13. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

What were the fuses rated to? 40a?

14. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.20.4.2

I think they were 40 amps, IIRC. Since I was used to charging at 40 amps at home on a 50 amp breaker, I incorrectly assumed his 6-50 outlet had a 50 amp breaker as well. When things stopped working, we investigated and found the 40 (?) amp fuses:
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1