Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of tires are on your 21inch Grey Turbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked my S60D on 12/31. The delivery person casually mentioned "be careful in the winter.. those are summer tires." I was like hold up a second here.. The website said the 21inch wheels come with all season tires. Initially, they agreed that I was correct, however I just got an e-mail from the service department saying that they only come with summer tires. I know I saw it on the Tesla website that they come with "all season" tires. Can you folks chime in?

It used to be that you got *staggered* summer performance tires only on Performance models. They're Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which are phenomenal IMO.

However at the Santana Row store, it seemed like all the 21's, whether they were P or non-P, had the staggered summer tires.

I'm hoping that this is the case!

It used to be that you got *staggered* summer performance tires only on Performance models. They're Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which are phenomenal IMO.

However at the Santana Row store, it seemed like all the 21's, whether they were P or non-P, had the staggered summer tires.

I'm hoping that this is the case!

Thanks. Yes it looks like I have the staggered wheels and tires.

I know when I selected the 21 inch option it said all season tires. In my opinion tesla should provide details on wheels and tires when ordering. The staggered setup was a surprise. Unless I'm missing something, no where on the order page does it mention about staggered setup.

Being in California, I would consider it an unexpected surprise as it ups your handling quotient quite a bit.

But I understand it might be a bit disconcerting when you regularly have to navigate hazardous winter conditions.

Let us know how the "D" does on summer tires.

Regardless, congrats and enjoy!

Being in California, I would consider it an unexpected surprise as it ups your handling quotient quite a bit.

But I understand it might be a bit disconcerting when you regularly have to navigate hazardous winter conditions.

Let us know how the "D" does on summer tires.

Regardless, congrats and enjoy!
Really bad.
I have Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires on my P90D and it was horrible in the snow and freezing conditions.

I would advise not to use them in the winter.

My understanding is that all new Ps have the the acoustic PSSs. These are the refresh cars. Non Ps are still staggered and have the Continentals.

IMG_2179.JPG

This is a great thread. I ordered a Model S 90D fully loaded Dec 26th with an expected delivery of February - Early March 2017. I live in sunny Los Angeles and I ordered my car with the 21" wheels. The store display chassis had 21" wheels with Pilot Sport tires on them. The P100D next to it had the pilot super sport tires that are staggered, the same ones that I have on my 2015 M3 though the M3s tires are much wider. The M3 will slide down my driveway when it's wet. It not horribly steep but an incline. The tires are beyond amazing when it's dry and horrible in the rain on the M3, I don't drive it when it's wet. Anyway, so I called Tesla cause I was curious and they said all season tires come with the Model S 90D and the performance tires come on the P cars but wouldn't tell me the brand or tire type when I pressed further for specifics on the "all season" tires he just said "Continental or Michelin." I am secretly hoping I get the Pilot Super Sport tires because they have ridiculous grip when it's dry but at the same time a lot less practical for all season conditions. I'll update when I take delivery.

Reactions: DIL