Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not remember the charging schedule you use.
Do you ever charge more for trips etc?

Yes, teslafi and NFP track quite well since the battery capacity goes below the degradation threshold.

Teslafi range jumps around quite much and is mostly ~5km lower than the teslalogger number and the displayed range when charging full.
Teslafi only get the SOC rounded to whole numbers, which I guess explains it.
85% once, 80% five times, below 30% three times, else always driven 30 - 75%, store at 57% a year ago now store 50%.

I don't think I ever was above the degradation threshold. Some packs are better than others. Maybe I'll get a new pack in next 6 years.

Reactions: RSpanner
I have the NCMA battery. I NEVER need more than 50% for daily use. 50 to 25% is a big day for me. Right now I am charging late at night to 50%. Since I am always under 60%, is there any downside to just plugging in and charging whenever I get home? The car will sit at 50% for longer but looking at the graph it appears there isn’t much difference between constant 25 and 50%.

The downside is that you're not getting battery management recalibrations at different states of charge. Nobody drives exactly the same amount every day, so the SOC when it sleeps before charging is somewhat different, and that helps the BMS.

Your proposed way would only see sleeping at 50%.

Personally I would keep as you're doing now, charging late at night/early morning. Even if your electricity price is the same, the reality of the utilities is that they're using dirtier and more expensive generation in peak hours, which are late afternoon through mid evening.

The downside is that you're not getting battery management recalibrations at different states of charge
I am uncertain that is critical for day to day driving especially when battery % instead of km. It is more critical for Maybe for a long drive where distance between charging stations requires more accurate battery estimations.

Additionally, does the "late night charging" mean the car is charged immediately upon arrival home or does it mean charging late at night to take advantage of lower electricity prices which suggests that the car had a sleep between arriving home and commencement of charging.

I am uncertain that is critical for day to day driving especially when battery % instead of km. It is more critical for Maybe for a long drive where distance between charging stations requires more accurate battery estimations.
True, but there is little to be gained from starting charge immediately, unless you're starting a long trip late at night, a very rare occurrence for most. If anything the environmental issue can make the otherwise even choice go to one side.

Additionally, does the "late night charging" mean the car is charged immediately upon arrival home or does it mean charging late at night to take advantage of lower electricity prices which suggests that the car had a sleep between arriving home and commencement of charging.
The second. I use off-peak time scheduling. My off-peak ends at 6AM so it finishes charging by 5:45 automatically. It will sleep for hours then from the time I get home and plug in until start of charging.

Of course I'm in San Diego which has extortionate electricity rates outside the EV plan and super-off-peak. But even if the rates were the same all hours, I would still do the same thing.

That's what I mean . I suspect that when Kenblub says "late night charging" he could be referring to charging at some point in time after car arrives home - not charging immediately.
I really meant off peak charging. I just couldn’t remember what it was called 😂. Thanks for the advice. I now still plug in when I get home but jiggle my off peak charging time to coincide with when I plan to leave. For example, tomorrow it’s set to 11:00 am.

Reactions: Quickst

The second. I use off-peak time scheduling. My off-peak ends at 6AM so it finishes charging by 5:45 automatically. It will sleep for hours then from the time I get home and plug in until start of charging.

Just a little comment to reduce a risk of mixing up terms:

I usually describe ”charge late” which means to charge so the charging session is finished not very long before the next drive.

This has nothing to do with off peak charging in this case, and has the one and only* reason to shorten the time at high SOC this reducing calendar aging.

*)There’s actually one more reason in winter in cold climates = to have the battery at the maximum temperature before the drive which gives lower consumption and longer range for heat pump equipped Teslas.

Reactions: E90alex and KenBlub
I wish people would stop obsessing about the battery. My LR rwd 2019 model 3 I’ve had since 27 miles on the odometer probably has degradation but frankly it works, gets my to road trips and all that and I charge primarily at home with supercharging few times a month. Reminds of macrumors posters posting about their iPhone battery health going to 92% after 1 year. Just use the damn thing and get on with it. Jeeeeeez. Big woop it went down 10 miles. Could be bms getting all wacky but why does it matter when it works and your not stranded.

I wish people would stop obsessing about the battery. My LR rwd 2019 model 3 I’ve had since 27 miles on the odometer probably has degradation but frankly it works, gets my to road trips and all that and I charge primarily at home with supercharging few times a month. Reminds of macrumors posters posting about their iPhone battery health going to 92% after 1 year. Just use the damn thing and get on with it. Jeeeeeez. Big woop it went down 10 miles. Could be bms getting all wacky but why does it matter when it works and your not stranded.
Because some people like to do that. Like me, I don't care about loosing a km here or there but I do like to keep my battery in good shape. I find the subject interesting so motivated to learn more. I don't bother you about your likes and dislikes so leave me to bathe in my battery gloriousness :cool:

To each their own and if people want to obsess over it so be it. My only concern is people might overhear people nerding out about getting the most out of or taking the super best care of their battery and think that's expected overhead of owning an EV and it's not.

I'd rather nerd out about the battery (where there is some interesting science) than ceramic coating mumbo jumbo (where pseudoscience abounds)
And the very nice thing is that it does not take a lot of effort to cut the degradation in half.

And the ones that doesnt care at all could better skip reading posts on the subject than complaining about it ;)