Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
Background:

I purchased a wall connector from Tesla last year, then found out that my electric utility had an off peak charging program that require a different charger. Since the wall connectors were in short supply my electrician bought it from me at cost so he would have it for another customer.

Fast forward to this September - I get an email from Tesla saying “your order is confirmed” and they are shipping a wall connector. It’s going to my name at a different address in Minneapolis. Suspecting Fraud, I email Tesla support and they reply stating it’s a warranty replacement. I suspect I was still linked to the wall connector via the serial number and the person for whom the electrician installed it actually was getting a replacement. I email Tesla stating this and get no response.

3 weeks later, UPS delivered a wall connector arrives to my business address (which Tesla doesn’t even have?!?) I again email Tesla telling them I’ve received a wall connector that I didn’t request. After a week they respond that they sent it as a warranty replacement and a RMA label should arrive via email.

What should I do at this point? I have a $500 wall connector that I didn’t request or pay for. I’ve emailed Tesla 3 times about it and they keep saying it’s correct. Do I just keep it? Do I send it back? (I don’t have a return label so I’d have to pay for the return shipping.) Do I try to track down the person in Minneapolis whom I suspect needs a new wall charger? I'd hate for him/her to be stuck without one or to have to pay for a new one.

Sit tight till things fall in place eventually you will be in a better position to decide what to do. You have already done your part by informing Tesla - suggest wait and let things run its course. I would not sell it now , incase Tesla comes back after a few weeks and says they made a mistake and send you a UPS shipping label to return the item.

Reactions: coleman567
Background:

I purchased a wall connector from Tesla last year, then found out that my electric utility had an off peak charging program that require a different charger. Since the wall connectors were in short supply my electrician bought it from me at cost so he would have it for another customer.

Fast forward to this September - I get an email from Tesla saying “your order is confirmed” and they are shipping a wall connector. It’s going to my name at a different address in Minneapolis. Suspecting Fraud, I email Tesla support and they reply stating it’s a warranty replacement. I suspect I was still linked to the wall connector via the serial number and the person for whom the electrician installed it actually was getting a replacement. I email Tesla stating this and get no response.

3 weeks later, UPS delivered a wall connector arrives to my business address (which Tesla doesn’t even have?!?) I again email Tesla telling them I’ve received a wall connector that I didn’t request. After a week they respond that they sent it as a warranty replacement and a RMA label should arrive via email.

What should I do at this point? I have a $500 wall connector that I didn’t request or pay for. I’ve emailed Tesla 3 times about it and they keep saying it’s correct. Do I just keep it? Do I send it back? (I don’t have a return label so I’d have to pay for the return shipping.) Do I try to track down the person in Minneapolis whom I suspect needs a new wall charger? I'd hate for him/her to be stuck without one or to have to pay for a new one.
Contact the electrician that purchased your Wall Connector, see if they have a record of where the Wall Connector was installed. Then you can follow up to see if they contacted Tesla to RMA the faulty Wall Connector unit.

Contact the electrician that purchased your Wall Connector, see if they have a record of where the Wall Connector was installed. Then you can follow up to see if they contacted Tesla to RMA the faulty Wall Connector unit.
Yeah, that's what I think I'll do. I actually have the address, so I could send a letter directly to them, too.

As far as whether I'd get charged for the connector, you're not required to paid for unsolicited merchandise, but this doesn't totally fall under that category. I'm more worried that some poor guy in Minneapolis has been trying to get his charger replaced for 2 months.

Update -
I spoke to the electrician. He wasn't aware of the original addressee having issues but knew him and was going to call to check. He had the same theory I did about the whole mixup and said sometimes Tesla will just pick a random serial number of a wall connector that they had installed to use for a warranty replacement. They're going to arrange a time to pick up the connector.