Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What tires come on 20" Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of tires come of the Model 3 Performance? Are they summer tires or all season?

I'm already thinking about getting 18s from tsportline but I might consider just driving on the 20s until I need new tires. But can only do that if they're AS because I live in an area where we do get some snow in the winter. Not a ton, but enough that summer tires are dangerous.

Edit: I DO NOT want to swap summer/winter tires. I want something I can drive on year round.

Is that what comes on them by default? I don't see any mention on the order page as to what type of tires the 20" Performance comes with. If they are summer tires then I'll have to order those 18s and some AS tires right away.

Yes, the current default is the PS4S and yes, these are summer tires. They still work in cold weather, but are dangerous on snow and ice.

Edit: I DO NOT want to swap summer/winter tires. I want something I can drive on year round.

You may want to consider the P3D Stealth. It depends on whether you want the higher performance brakes, spoiler, lower ride height, pedal covers, etc., or not.

You could also sell the 20" wheels as new (it appears the value is less than $2500 for 4 brand new wheels on the open market based on what people were lowering their prices to here to get them to move), and just put on your brand new wheels right away when you get the vehicle.

There are numerous threads here about aftermarket 18" wheels which fit the P3D. In short, it is possible to get a set of four all-weather tires & decent (not fancy) 18" wheels for about $2k, if you so desire.

They still work in cold weather, but are dangerous on snow and ice.

Just note that on Tire Rack's website description that they clearly specify they should be warmed to 40 degrees or higher for 24 hours prior to using on a vehicle, otherwise the compound may crack. (Specifically they say after being exposed to temps of 20 degrees, the above warming must be done.)

And yes, they would also be dangerous on snow & ice. But they also can't be used in a dry cold.

I want the Performance with the breaks and the spoiler, just not a fan of the wheels. Was gonna swap them either way, just trying to decide if I needed to do that right away or wait till I wore out the tires. Guess I'll have to do it right away.

I'm going to lease the Tesla so I'll just stick the 20s with summer tires in the shed and swap them back when it's time to return the car. If I can reuse the 18s Next time I will, if not I'll sell them. Money isn’t really the concern. I saw some tsportline 18s I liked that were $2,400. They have a set with tires on them too, but I've had bad luck with already mounted wheel/tire sets in the past so I'll probably just get the rims and have some tires put on at a local shop.

Ok! Realistically you can probably wait a couple months.

Just remember you'll never get the handling or stopping (~15% shorter) or wet performance of the PS4S with any all-season tire you select, no matter how good they may be. Obviously for Nevada you'll be able to go with something a little more summer-oriented if you want, but if you have to drive them in snow, and you don't want to swap wheels back and forth, you're going to be making compromises (sounds like you are accustomed to make them though).

Moving away from the 20s is a good idea all-around of course - but the rubber you put on the 18s is the problem.

so I'll just stick the 20s with summer tires in the shed and swap them back when it's time to return the car.

To extract some money out of them, you could trade them with an owner who has 20s in lease-returnable condition (no dents or scratches), with tread near (but not below) the wear limit for your lease. Complicated, but should be able to make $800-$1k in the trade. ;)

But you said money isn't really a concern so probably not worth it to you. ;)

Yeah I live in the north, not near Vegas, so we get snow up here. I tried the tire swap thing on my BMW 135i. I did it two years, then got lazy and drove around on winter tires all summer until I burned them up. After that I got all season and never thought about the summer set again. With my current 340i I just swapped to all season as as soon as winter hit. Also went with a square setup instead of the default mixed setup, switching from 19s to 18s in the process. I prefer the 18s. They look better to me. I don’t really like the look of giant rims with low profile tires, regardless of handling.

Funny thing is I actually have both of the original sets of tires/rims from those two swaps above in my shed. They're probably worth a couple grand each. Never bothered to sell because I'm lazy and don’t need the money. But we do need the space so my wife is bugging me to get rid of them. I may throw them up on bimmerpost for cheap just to get rid of them.

Near Great Basin NP? So nice up in that area.

Sounds like you have a plan.

I don’t really like the look of giant rims with low profile tires, regardless of handling.

To be clear on what I was saying, low profile tires/giant rims don’t have much impact on handling. With high performance tires, the sidewalls are so stiff the extra inch or so really does not matter much as far as flex is concerned. It’s the tire compound that is key.

Last edited:
Near Great Basin NP? So nice up in that area.

Sounds like you have a plan.

To be clear on what I was saying, low profile tires/giant rims don’t have much impact on handling. With high performance tires, the sidewalls are so stiff the extra inch or so really does not matter much as far as flex is concerned. It’s the tire compound that is key.

I'm in Carson City. South of Reno, East of Tahoe.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'm in Carson City. South of Reno, East of Tahoe.
I grew up in South lake. In your area you deffinetly do not want the Tesla 20” with the UHP summer tires. I’m running the OEM 18” All season MPMX in the summer and it’s a solid tire. This spring we had a storm after I swapped back and it did ok in the snow. So unless you are doing trips up 50 or over Kingsbury frequently all winter you will be just fine with it.