Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Winter Tires thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to get ahead of this situation so I'm not scrambling in November...

I have been perfectly happy with my OEM Winter Sottozero. But after three winters, they need to be replaced. Is that still a good buy or is there something better out there? Range is really important to me as I don't have a heat pump and I see significant range reduction in the winter as it is. Other than range, I want the best tires for what can be dicy, New England, snowy cold winters. Not really concerned about the cost as it's just too important to save a few bucks. When I replaced my summer tires, I did a ton of research and just bought the OEM MXM4, which many don't like, but I'm fine with. So I guess you could say I'm not looking for performance tires, just reliable, efficient, smooth, quiet tires, as much as that is possible in the winter.

I have been perfectly happy with my OEM Winter Sottozero. But after three winters, they need to be replaced. Is that still a good buy or is there something better out there? Range is really important to me as I don't have a heat pump and I see significant range reduction in the winter as it is. Other than range, I want the best tires for what can be dicy, New England, snowy cold winters. Not really concerned about the cost as it's just too important to save a few bucks. When I replaced my summer tires, I did a ton of research and just bought the OEM MXM4, which many don't like, but I'm fine with. So I guess you could say I'm not looking for performance tires, just reliable, efficient, smooth, quiet tires, as much as that is possible in the winter.
I've had Michelin X-Ice (new model called X-Ice Snow), and am currently on Hakkapeliitta R3.
Hakka's are better (less squirmy) over frozen asphalt, which is 90+% of the surface I'm driving on for the last two winters.
X-Ice's were better on ice and deep snow, but had less steering feedback over well cleared winter asphalt roads.

My skiing vehicle rides on Blizzak WS80s, so I can afford to experiment with other winter tires on Model 3.
Blizzaks is what I had on my winter wheels when I lived in Boston.
I only had 1 winter car, it would roll on Blizzaks in the winter.

HTH,
a

Reactions: Krobbler
The Sottozero 3s are a Performance Winter tire, so they give up a little in ultimate winter traction compared to a full winter tire like the X-Ice or Blizzaks, but they have much better steering response and better handling in conditions other than snow and ice. The Sottozero 3s are also better for range than the X-Ice or the Blizzaks; I don't know about the the Nokian R5 EV.

There's a variety of other Performance Winter tires which you can check out on Tire Rack.

I’m considering the following winter tires for my M3 RWD 18” wheels:
Vredestein Wintrac Pro
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5
Michelin X-Ice Snow

All three have excellent reviews. Are any of these a better choice?

I live in MN where it snows from time to time but most often we deal with extreme cold and icy road conditions. In blizzards, I stay home. 80% of the time, I don't need a hard core snow tire. In my opinion, snow focused tires like the X-Ice and Blizzaks and Vredestein (all of which I've had in the past) greatly compromise dry road handling but are super awesome in deep snow, which I rarely encounter. I've been extremely happy with the Sottozero 3 because it sacrifices deep snow performance for dry road handling but is still great in icy conditions. My only gripe with the Pirelli is longevity and its tendency to wear unevenly. Despite keeping them rotated and the car well aligned, I only got 15K miles - 1 winter - out of my first set due to uneven wear. That said, I like them well enough that I just purchased a second set when they went on closeout at Tire Rack.

Reactions: dcfas
We get three or four snowstorms that drop more than a few inches. We always get a couple at least that are 6+. I drive through some hilly areas to work, about 40 miles one way. Since the car is RWD with one motor I’m going for the snow tires, emphasis on snow.

Id like to get decent mileage, not too loud, and decent dry and wet road handling from the choices above, in addition to great snow and ice handling.

I’m considering the following winter tires for my M3 RWD 18” wheels:
Vredestein Wintrac Pro
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5
Michelin X-Ice Snow

All three have excellent reviews. Are any of these a better choice?
I have owned several sets of Nokians over the years, along with the X-ICE. I would give the edge to the Nokians. With that said, when it's a blizzard, I'm going snowboarding and have driven in 100's of blizzards by choice. I just had a set of R5s mounted on a model 3. If I lived in a place that doesn't get as much snow and could stay home during a storm, I might choose something like the Michelin Crossclimate 2, assuming you have AWD.

We received over 600" of snow here last year. I'm hoping for 700" this year!

Attachments

• car - 1.jpeg
    car - 1.jpeg
    687 KB · Views: 177
  • car - 1 (1).jpeg
    car - 1 (1).jpeg
    530.3 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: Park2670 and dcfas
I have been running X-Snow tires from Michelin. The main reason is they have a treadwear warranty. I'll never get the 40k miles out of them, so I know I'll get a discount each time I need to replace them.

Plus, they are great in the snow. A bit slow to respond in the dry, just as others have stated. But worth it when I want to turn or stop in the deep snow.

Reactions: dcfas
I have been running X-Snow tires from Michelin. The main reason is they have a treadwear warranty. I'll never get the 40k miles out of them, so I know I'll get a discount each time I need to replace them.

Plus, they are great in the snow. A bit slow to respond in the dry, just as others have stated. But worth it when I want to turn or stop in the deep snow.
That could be another reason to pick the X-ICE. I have a BMW x45e with Nokian R3s. They are totally shot at 15k miles......

Reactions: dcfas and Park2670
I live in MN where it snows from time to time but most often we deal with extreme cold and icy road conditions. In blizzards, I stay home. 80% of the time, I don't need a hard core snow tire. In my opinion, snow focused tires like the X-Ice and Blizzaks and Vredestein (all of which I've had in the past) greatly compromise dry road handling but are super awesome in deep snow, which I rarely encounter. I've been extremely happy with the Sottozero 3 because it sacrifices deep snow performance for dry road handling but is still great in icy conditions. My only gripe with the Pirelli is longevity and its tendency to wear unevenly. Despite keeping them rotated and the car well aligned, I only got 15K miles - 1 winter - out of my first set due to uneven wear. That said, I like them well enough that I just purchased a second set when they went on closeout at Tire Rack.
Why did they go close out? I am about to buy some on tire rack and I see nothing about close out.