Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What track mode setting are you using?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I turn on Track Mode I can start to hear something start humming - almost like the HVAC compressor. I confirmed A/C was off and that the noise came on/off when toggling Track Mode a few times. I created a custom profile - Post-Drive Cooling and Compressor Overclock are DISABLED. The car had been sitting for 8 hours when turning on track mode.

What is this noise? Pump for battery cooling?
Yup, extra cooling.

I am a Corvette guy with a new P3D and love to hit the twisties around my area. I am not to thrilled with the handling to date due to the nannies. My question is, what is a good setting to use on the street when driving the twisties? I will probably turn off all the nannies, but not sure of an optimal front to rear bias.Thanks in advance.
For what you described I would use:
  • Handling Balance: 50/50
  • Stability Assist: +10
  • Regen: 100%
  • Compressor Overclock: Disabled
Lower the Stability Assist to +5 if it still seems too nanny.

When I turn on Track Mode I can start to hear something start humming - almost like the HVAC compressor. I confirmed A/C was off and that the noise came on/off when toggling Track Mode a few times. I created a custom profile - Post-Drive Cooling and Compressor Overclock are DISABLED. The car had been sitting for 8 hours when turning on track mode.

What is this noise? Pump for battery cooling?

I was wondering the same thing. I had originally thought the noise was the cooling system in overclock mode... but it doesn’t seem to go away when the overclock setting is disabled...

Last edited:
For what you described I would use:
  • Handling Balance: 50/50
  • Stability Assist: +10
  • Regen: 100%
  • Compressor Overclock: Disabled
Lower the Stability Assist to +5 if it still seems too nanny.
I like a little oversteer, so 45/55 is best.
0 is normal nannies, so why would I go up to +10. Seems counter intuitive and will cause your brakes to get hot.
Regen 100%, right on.

I was wondering the same thing. I had originally thought the noise was the cooling system in overclock mode... but it doesn’t seem to go away when the overclock setting is disabled...
Overclock is higher speed of compressor, not the fan. Fan always works full speed in track mode. A/C compressor cools coolant of batteries, motors and invertors below ambient temperature.

I suspect it is hinged to the system's tolerance for slip angles. But it's unclear whether that means slip in a straight line or just slip in a curve.

Ok, so if set it to full rear bias and you dial it down Stability to -10 and drop the hammer will it roast the rear tires if you keep it pointed straight? it would be nice if they decouple TC from Stability. I would prefer TC fully disabled but keep Stability around -5.

Was playing around with V2 in the twisties today. A little disappointed that there is clearly still significant traction control even at "minimum" stability assist. Tried out "drift preset" i.e. RWD w least stability assist, and it was still overly stable through the turns. Was much easier to spin out the rear tires in my old BMW M5, which had much less torque. Overall I felt the best mode was the "race preset", 50/50 front/rear, and middle stability assist. So fun!

Reactions: Dolemite