Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What track mode setting are you using?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a Corvette guy with a new P3D and love to hit the twisties around my area. I am not to thrilled with the handling to date due to the nannies. My question is, what is a good setting to use on the street when driving the twisties? I will probably turn off all the nannies, but not sure of an optimal front to rear bias.Thanks in advance.

Reactions: JM0N
My question is, what is a good setting to use on the street when driving the twisties? I will probably turn off all the nannies, but not sure of an optimal front to rear bias.Thanks in advance.

I definitely wouldn't set stability control to -10 at first unless you are really comfortable catching a rear wheel drive slide. With the instant torque, these cars can really break loose very quickly so be ready for it. You can easily spin around in totally dry conditions for example.

Rear bias at 100% seems useful and fun as you still get front motor on straights but it really biases the rear for turns, though that means more chance of sliding around.

Here is some more data on rear bias vs the standard track setting. Max rear power happens around 45 mph and max front power was a little later (maybe 50 mph)

RearBiasvsNormal.JPG

Thanks. Any tests during turns?

Nope, just did some 0 to ~70 runs in straight line to compare power output from the motors. Tried doing some 0-60 time measurements using Scan my Tesla as well, but the times were pretty darn comparable. Would be really great if someone like @MountainPass could put the car on a dyno and get some legit comparisons across all speed ranges.

• Love
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Did some tests today on a tight twisty mountain road (Little Tijunga), and I settled on -2 for the nannies, and bias of 45 front, 55 rear. Air pressure needed to be upped to 44 hot (41 cold) to keep the tire edges from rolling up. All in all a good experience, but this thing sure needs shocks upgrades. Maybe sway bars? My beloved Michelin PS4s were not handling to my liking. I am thinking they are too worn at 11,000 miles and 2 year old rubber. But boy does this car explode forward after apexing.

• Informative
Reactions: JM0N and RabidYak
Nope, just did some 0 to ~70 runs in straight line to compare power output from the motors. Tried doing some 0-60 time measurements using Scan my Tesla as well, but the times were pretty darn comparable. Would be really great if someone like @MountainPass could put the car on a dyno and get some legit comparisons across all speed ranges.

At 18:15 said the engineers told him if going in a straight line it is not 100% bias to the front. That happens on turning. See this video at 18:15

That's pretty cool... initially everyone was speculating that 100% rear means the front motor's basically shut off. But it sounds like they've simply tuned it to feel like a RWD car... which is great since we won't be losing that much total power.

I was going to ask if anyone has used this to enable fake LR mode by just using track mode with 100% to rear wheels. Then drive some distance and look at wh/mi to see if its worth it. I havent gotten a chance to try this out yet.

Did some tests today on a tight twisty mountain road (Little Tijunga), and I settled on -2 for the nannies, and bias of 45 front, 55 rear. Air pressure needed to be upped to 44 hot (41 cold) to keep the tire edges from rolling up. All in all a good experience, but this thing sure needs shocks upgrades. Maybe sway bars? My beloved Michelin PS4s were not handling to my liking. I am thinking they are too worn at 11,000 miles and 2 year old rubber. But boy does this car explode forward after apexing.

I'm loving it but taking it step by step and hit the twisties today w/+5 stability - did notice that regen is set to 'roll' vs. stop in Track Mode (which makes sense but is different than my daily setting). I'll work my way up to the negative stab and rearward power bias ;)
IMG_20200309_194004.jpg

Got this update tonight. Immediately took it out & set stability assist to -10 & bias to 100% rear. There is no way there isn't SOME sort of traction control nanny-ism going on... it's simply way too easy to kick out the rear & keep it controlled. I imagine that the front end is doing a fair bit to keep your ass-end from getting acquainted with a curb.

Super fun nonetheless - awesome that Tesla put so much effort in for us... wise investment. It's not like the hyper-milers are making the cars cool. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
I imagine that the front end is doing a fair bit to keep your ass-end from getting acquainted with a curb.
You could always use the dynotest option in the service screen. It appears that is a very quick way to get acquainted with ditches.

I actually did make two new track profiles. One is FWD with 100% front bias. One is RWD with 100% rear bias. It’s too bad that’s not really true.

I am a Corvette guy with a new P3D and love to hit the twisties around my area. I am not to thrilled with the handling to date due to the nannies. My question is, what is a good setting to use on the street when driving the twisties? I will probably turn off all the nannies, but not sure of an optimal front to rear bias.Thanks in advance.

If you want to improve the handling the way to go is better/wider rubber and a sports coilover kit. I can recommend the mountain pass one. After that, you can start fiddling around with the sliders in the new version 2 of of track mode. I have mine set at R60/F40 but I've got somewhat staggered wheels and tires. Unless you're extremely experienced with the car I would not turn off vehicle stability control completely. Start with a setting in the middle and then move it towards minimal once you get more experience with the car.

If you want to improve the handling the way to go is better/wider rubber and a sports coilover kit. I can recommend the mountain pass one. After that, you can start fiddling around with the sliders in the new version 2 of of track mode. I have mine set at R60/F40 but I've got somewhat staggered wheels and tires. Unless you're extremely experienced with the car I would not turn off vehicle stability control completely. Start with a setting in the middle and then move it towards minimal once you get more experience with the car.
Good advice, that is why I started at -2. In my vette, I always use track mode when in the twisties.
Not sure I want to go with a staggered set as this is also my daily driver, but I appreciate the grip of wide back tires. Also trying to see if the $2500 for coilovers is worth the expense for me. Maybe just coils and sways.

When I turn on Track Mode I can start to hear something start humming - almost like the HVAC compressor. I confirmed A/C was off and that the noise came on/off when toggling Track Mode a few times. I created a custom profile - Post-Drive Cooling and Compressor Overclock are DISABLED. The car had been sitting for 8 hours when turning on track mode.

What is this noise? Pump for battery cooling?